Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 5, 2016   #1
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Default Intense yellow or orange tomatoes?

Of course, like a true tomato freak, I'm already thinking about next year's list. I've never tried growing a large yellow or orange variety and thought I'd add one to the list.

What's a good variety that has intense or complex flavor, i.e., not just fruity and sweet? My understanding is that the number of large yellow and orange tomatoes that qualify is not large. I have no objection to sweet per se--I actually enjoy sweetness--as long as there's enough acid or complexity to keep it from being one dimensional.

I was thinking about:

Aunt Gertie's Gold
Lillian's Yellow Heirloom
Yellow Brandywine
KBX

Any others worth considering? Which would you grow and why?

I only have room for one. I know that everyone's tastes differ and that different garden conditions will affect the result. I'm just looking for personal opinions and experiences.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2016   #2
Gardadore
Tomatovillian™

Of the list above I would highly recommend the KBX. I grow it every year and it is a real favorite. Another to consider is the Sweet Ozark Orange, a new stabilized open-pollinated. You can get that from Tatiana. But I think the KBX fulfills your desire for sweet and complex nicely.
Gardadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2016   #3
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I was on the same quest last year and quite a few people highly recommended Azoychka.

I had seeds for it from two different MMMM swap participants and after weeks of trying to germinate all 12 seeds with no luck, I had to give up on growing it this year.

It has a spot for 2017 and I'll probably purchase seeds for it next winter.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2016   #4
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Yoder's German, Uluru Ochre, Orange Minsk all taste great.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2016   #5
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I second KBX,and Orange Minsk, also Sweet Ozark Orange, the latter I think is still being offered free here by username Ozark who made it.
Also worth a try, Peg's Round Orange. 3-4 oz size, with many fruits and very nice flavor.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2016   #6
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Uluru Ochre certainly meets the requirement of being complex. I like it a lot.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2016   #7
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Orange Strawberry was very good-tasting variety. Although, if you do not like 'fruity' perhaps it's not the one to try..

Azoychka is a complex flavored yellow slicer / beefsteak, they can get huge. Delicious too!
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2016   #8
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Sungold F1 before it is fully ripe is great, I prefer it at that point over fully ripe.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2016   #9
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Another enthusiastic vote for Sweet Ozark Orange from Ozark.

I'll add Dr. Wyche's Yellow as another one that I liked a lot (and did well in our area).

This year I am growing Orange Russian #117 from Pondgardener; fruit have set but it will be a while before I get to taste it.
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2016   #10
Isabelle
Tomatovillian™

We are growing Dixie Gold this year, and it is excellent. Our largest DG this year has been 1 lb 3 oz.
Isabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2016   #11
Isabelle
Tomatovillian™

We had problems with Aunt Gerties Gold. The pests loved them, and they split a lot easier than the other varieties we were growing that year. We only ended up getting 4 tomatoes off of it after the problems but they were the BEST tasting tomatoes we ate that year hands down.
Isabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2016   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Intense yellow or orange?

My first one would be Earl of Edgecombe,hands down,an orange

Then add Jaune Flammee

Sweet Ozark Orange
Orange Minsk
Aunt Gertie's Gold
Kellogg's Breakfast/KBX
Tangella

....to name a few

I know of few intense yellow varieties but would mention

Dixie Golden Giant
Galina's Yellow
Livingston's Gold Ball
Yellow Brandywine ( Platfoot strain)
Azchoyka

Taste has many variables associated with it that include how grown,which amendments,year grown, and more, but there's also a human genetic factor known. Which means that someones spitter is another person's beloved variety.

Carolyn
Old July 5, 2016   #13
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the replies. Lots of great varieties to research.

I'd forgotten about Uluru Ochre, which I considered trying this year. I'm sure I can find a container for at least one plant next year (I don't have a tomato addiction problem!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
My first one would be Earl of Edgecombe,hands down,an orange
The TomatoBase says this has a dwarf habit. Is it a relatively compact plant that I could try in a container? If so, I might be able to grow this as well as an in-ground large yellow or orange (no, really, I don't have a problem!).

Thanks to those of you suggesting Orange Strawberry as well. I may try that one because I don't have a heart tomato on my growlist, so that ticks off 2 boxes. Those of us with smaller gardens need multitasking varieties. I'm also curious because it seems to differ a lot depending on who grows it; descriptions from various sources describe it as everything from mild to sweet to tart. Has it been around for a while? I'm wondering whether it's not entirely stable, or whether it's stable but even more influenced by growing conditions than the average tomato.

But I have plenty of time to decide, haha. And pondering the growlist and doing the associated research is almost as fun as growing the darned tomatoes. At least it's a way to indulge my love of tomatoes that isn't dependent on the weather conditions!
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2016   #14
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Jaune Flammee, and Orlov Yellow instead of Yellow Brandywine. AGG was very late for my area but you might have better luck. I am growing couple new ones, Altai orange looks spectacular as a plant, also Ilya Muromets-report is coming after taste test.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2016   #15
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorbelly View Post
Thanks for all the replies. Lots of great varieties to research.

I'd forgotten about Uluru Ochre, which I considered trying this year. I'm sure I can find a container for at least one plant next year (I don't have a tomato addiction problem!).

The TomatoBase says this has a dwarf habit. Is it a relatively compact plant that I could try in a container? If so, I might be able to grow this as well as an in-ground large yellow or orange (no, really, I don't have a problem!).

Thanks to those of you suggesting Orange Strawberry as well. I may try that one because I don't have a heart tomato on my growlist, so that ticks off 2 boxes. Those of us with smaller gardens need multitasking varieties. I'm also curious because it seems to differ a lot depending on who grows it; descriptions from various sources describe it as everything from mild to sweet to tart. Has it been around for a while? I'm wondering whether it's not entirely stable, or whether it's stable but even more influenced by growing conditions than the average tomato.

But I have plenty of time to decide, haha. And pondering the growlist and doing the associated research is almost as fun as growing the darned tomatoes. At least it's a way to indulge my love of tomatoes that isn't dependent on the weather conditions!
http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Earl_of_Edgecombe

Tania lists it as indeterminate and then kind of throws something in about dwarf habit,which I don't understand.

You can see from the history that when seeds got back to the Henry Doubleday Project in the UK,members their adopted new ones and did seed production,or used to since it's taken a different angle now,then Ulrike sent me the seeds.

From the get go it was always indet for me,the largest indet I've grown,no, but indet.

Orange Strawberry?

You can see that I was the first to introduce this variety via the SSE yearbook and where it came from.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Orange_Strawberry

As I grew it,many times,IMO it was very mild, not intense at all.

At first and still today some folks think it is related to German Red Strawberry which I also introduced,also from seeds from Margery.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/G...Red_Strawberry

They are in no way related, GRS is a family heirloom from her family and OS came from a stray seed from a pack of Pineapple seeds. She named both of them at my request/

Carolyn

Iloveitandalwayswill.

Carolyn