Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old 1 Day Ago   #9406
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDawgs View Post
I've been wanting to try making a fermented hot sauce, something I've not done before. I've been letting the jalapenos on the two plants go full red, collecting them and freezing them until I had enough to do something with. Finally got 2 lbs, including a few red Big Jims.

I found some recipes at
https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/c...d-pepper-mash/
and will be trying the sriracha.

The peppers made a quart jar so we'll see how it goes.

Any tips from you long time chili heads about the process? I'm not a fan of real hot anything so don't recommend any ghosts! The recipe says 10 days minimum for fermenting but how long do y'all let it go?
I agree with Worth. Good chance you killed off all the things needed to kickstart the fermentation. Might try adding a starter of some sort or adding fresh peppers into the mash. Not really sure how that's going to go though. You are better off starting a crock/jar of mash early in the season, supplementing store bought peppers if necessary before your crop is in, and then just adding peppers as they ripen from the garden, and adjusting the salt as need be. Time really depends on so many factors. How much visible/active fermentation (bubbles) and smell are two indicators for me, with that being said, I like to aim for a full 30 days give or take.
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #9407
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I've been wanting to try making a fermented hot sauce, something I've not done before. I've been letting the jalapenos on the two plants go full red, collecting them and freezing them until I had enough to do something with. Finally got 2 lbs, including a few red Big Jims.

I found some recipes at
https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/c...d-pepper-mash/
and will be trying the sriracha.

The peppers made a quart jar so we'll see how it goes.

Any tips from you long time chili heads about the process? I'm not a fan of real hot anything so don't recommend any ghosts! The recipe says 10 days minimum for fermenting but how long do y'all let it go?
My 2¢ from making wine. You kill the natural yeast and bacteria when you freeze it but that's not a bad thing. You can use whey (the liquid in a yogurt or sour cream container), kimchi or sauerkraut "juice," or over-the-counter probiotics (capsules/powder). Most important, make sure it says "LIVE" cultures on the label of whatever you're extracting it from. You can add fresh peppers and that should work fine, fermenting isn't an exact science, many factors play into that. Don't sweat it, they will ferment.

It's not rocket science and the longer you let the mash sit the better the flavors will develop.
Old 1 Day Ago   #9408
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
You can use whey (the liquid in a yogurt or sour cream container), kimchi or sauerkraut "juice," or over-the-counter probiotics (capsules/powder). Most important, make sure it says "LIVE" cultures on the label of whatever you're extracting it from. You can add fresh peppers and that should work fine, fermenting isn't an exact science, many factors play into that. Don't sweat it, they will ferment.

It's not rocket science and the longer you let the mash sit the better the flavors will develop.
Thanks for the good advice, Rajun and Hunt. I've never seen red jalapenos or any other fresh red peppers other than sweet peppers for sale at local groceries. I guess I'll have to just start a small batch next year and constantly add to it what red jalapenos come off two plants as they get ready.

Meanwhile, I picked a few fresh ones this morning so I'll whiz those up and add them to the jar along with sour cream whey and/or kimchi juice. Probably kimchi juice since it's a sriracha recipe.

Hmmm, if that works, maybe next year I can still freeze some and then add fresh to make a batch. Possible?
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #9409
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Adding juices from a fermentation that has gone on for some time is called back slopping.
The live bacteria you want is from the head end of a fermentation.
The most active bacteria.
Cabbage in its first week would be good and it wont take much juice.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Hours Ago   #9410
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Well, it's too late now. Right after I posted that last bit I whizzed up and added five fresh jalapenos and 1 TBS kimchi juice. So I guess it's been "back slopped". If it works, it works and if it doesn't, I'll chalk it up to a learning experience.
Old 9 Hours Ago   #9411
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Well, it's too late now. Right after I posted that last bit I whizzed up and added five fresh jalapenos and 1 TBS kimchi juice. So I guess it's been "back slopped". If it works, it works and if it doesn't, I'll chalk it up to a learning experience.
No worries I have experimented with both.
Here is something I read from wiki some time ago.

The Dutch sauerkraut industry found that inoculating a new batch of sauerkraut with an old batch resulted in an excessively sour product. This sourdough process is known as "backslopping" or "inoculum enrichment"; when used in making sauerkraut, first- and second-stage population dynamics, important to developing flavor, are bypassed. This is due primarily to the greater initial activity of species L. plantarum.[20]

Whole link.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauerkraut#Production

Worth
Old 3 Hours Ago   #9412
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

The fresh peppers should give you a good start, I wouldn't worry about it unless you see something funky going on.
Old 3 Hours Ago   #9413
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

CAsian Po-Boy meets Bahn Mi fish sandwich. Started with real fish.

I made a remoulade with Mayo, dill pickles, horse radish and some seasoning, added some thin sliced cukes too.

Topped that with tomato, fresh made Korean pickled carrots and daikon radish, more remoulade then a fish plank.

Lettuce and cilantro

This was a flavor bomb!!!

Old 3 Hours Ago   #9414
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Geez, that looks good Rajun! Makes me want to reach right through the screen and grab a half!
Old 2 Hours Ago   #9415
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I'll see your sandwich and raise you biscuits taters steak and gravy.
IMG_20191017_34386.jpg

Worth
Old 2 Hours Ago   #9416
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

LOL! I have some chuck eyes on the menu tonight, bought them yesterday on sale!!
Old 4 Minutes Ago   #9417
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

Rajun and worth that looks good! We had low 40's last night and it's definitely a crisp day out.. soup or stew weather...the question is..which?

What are some good fall garden crops for fermentation?
upcountrygirl is online now   Reply With Quote