Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 9, 2020   #1
gardenmermaid
Tomatovillian™

Default Has anyone tried the Galaxy Suite tomatoes from High Mowing?

I have been eyeing these, but am wondering if anyone has tried them and how they performed/ your opinion on them? I am especially interested in the Starlight Cherry for it's novelty and description, but some of the others sound interesting too...
gardenmermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2020   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Wow! They are pricey! Only 10 seeds for $5.

I haven't tried any of them, but I would recommend Maglia Rosa and Blush from Artisan Seeds. They are my favourites and you get 50 seeds for $5 (which includes the shipping).

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2020   #3
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

"Reliable through transport" to me means crunchy and I detest crunchy tomatoes and at that price I think I'll pass.
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2020   #4
gardenmermaid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patihum View Post
"Reliable through transport" to me means crunchy and I detest crunchy tomatoes and at that price I think I'll pass.
I actually am wanting a "crunchy" one for pickling, but the flavor is important. Which is why I'm hoping someone can give me their take
Old February 9, 2020   #5
gardenmermaid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Wow! They are pricey! Only 10 seeds for $5.

I haven't tried any of them, but I would recommend Maglia Rosa and Blush from Artisan Seeds. They are my favourites and you get 50 seeds for $5 (which includes the shipping).

Linda
They are pricey, but most are OP, so to me it's a one time investment, and I don't mind if it's a really good one, which is why I am seeking reviews first.
Thank you for the suggestions, I love reading other peoples experiences.; I have tried Maglia Rosa, but it didn't produce enough to bother with for me. I do enjoy Blush too, and have saved seeds. If I had a larger garden it might have made an every year appearance, but for now its on rotation, and I still like to try a few new ones each year, for fun and variety.
Old February 10, 2020   #6
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

If you are looking for a prolific cherry, Green Tiger Cherry might work. (No relation to regular Green Tiger). Tania says it's sweet and it certainly was very prolific for me when I grew it years ago.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2020   #7
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Mountain Magic F1, from Johnny’s, is hugely productive, disease resistant (usually the last one standing in the garden), Just a bit larger than the average cherry, very firm fruit. It would be good for pickling, actually someone else here commented about using it for just that. it is a hybrid, and very vigorous big tall plant.

Then there’s the Green Bee, firm and crunchy, the two would make a red-green very attractive duo.

Last edited by NewWestGardener; February 10, 2020 at 10:09 AM.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2020   #8
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

If you're looking for a crunchy tomato with nice flavor, that is a bit unique, check out Fred's Green Bee F1 (Artisan Seed). Extremely productive and I would imagine their texture would hold up to pickling really well.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote