Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old January 29, 2018   #5566
whistech
Tomatovillian™

Rajun, that dish looks outstanding!
Old January 30, 2018   #5567
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Rajun,

I like just about anything filled with spinach and cheese. That is a beautiful and inviting dish The photo almost made me walk to the fridge for a snack. I was able to resist,

Many years ago, my wife and I would go to Applebees for a spinach pizza. It was on their menu as an appetizer and it wasn't a pizza at all. It was a large flour tortilla cooked crisp in the oven with a lot of spinach and cheese cooked under the broiler on the crisp tortilla. I'm not a fan of Applebees any longer, but I used to be.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2018   #5568
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

My wife and I have become hooked on spaghetti squash. It really qualifies as a cheap and easy dish. I buy them for a buck or two at most large grocery stores. They are a winter squash and will keep on the kitchen counter for many weeks if we didn't eat them quickly. They don't sit around our house very long. Each large squash provides two meals for us. After they are cooked, the squash works for us in the same way real spaghetti works with various sauces or meatballs or simply garlic and olive oil.
Old January 30, 2018   #5569
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post

We have a couple of the H-Mart stores nearby -- http://nj.hmart.com/ourstores/

Last time we visited the nearest location we barely got halfway through the store before the friend we were with got completely over whelmed and needed to leave. It's like the Asian Supermarket version of IKEA. Unless you know specifically what you're after, you can spend hours exploring the aisles. They even had Durian Fruit...!

Really need to plan a day trip back there one of these days.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2018   #5570
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
We have a couple of the H-Mart stores nearby -- http://nj.hmart.com/ourstores/

Last time we visited the nearest location we barely got halfway through the store before the friend we were with got completely over whelmed and needed to leave. It's like the Asian Supermarket version of IKEA. Unless you know specifically what you're after, you can spend hours exploring the aisles. They even had Durian Fruit...!

Really need to plan a day trip back there one of these days.

The know it all kid from the valley made a comment on one job site,about Asians in Texas much less Austin.
Like there weren't any or some such rot.
Really.

The area this place is in is the same area my wife and I used to go eat Chinese food and it wasn't an Americanized China buffet either.
There was no buffet.
There was a small store next to it we bought food from and it is where I got my authentic steel Chinese wok I have to this day.
Down the street is a Buddhist temple and across the highway is the Austin Asian resource center.
These places have been here for years.
Now the area seems to be overcome with taco stands an so on.
Old January 30, 2018   #5571
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
Getting back to tasso. Tasso is dry and tough till you heat it up then you'll see some fat render, it was a way to preserve meat on the cheap with salt and smoking. Now they use #1 cure for a few days and cold smoke first then run the temp up to 180 for a final product. There's no set rule or recipe how it's done but it's always highly seasoned and smoked.

Tasso should be used as a seasoning to compliment a dish like beans, jambalaya, greens and gumbo. I use it in shrimp fettuccine and other dishes that I want to spice it up. You can use it in any dish that you would add bacon to.

I grew up eating it from a local store that is still in business and is probably the best in Louisiana. They are so confident in their product that it sits on top of the coolers in a tub along side of smoked sausage and andouille. No refrigeration needed, they sell out that fast.

Don't even get me started on andouille, that's never on my shopping list. Andouille==over priced sausage made famous from New Orleans cooking shows and tourism groups.
Old January 30, 2018   #5572
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

This is what Wiki says about Tasso ham.
I dont take everything they say as truth at all.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...7Y9Es1eRuEasKT

Got burned out on ham and BBQ of any kind some time ago and still dont know when I will ever want to eat it again.
Mine or anyone else for that matter.

Right now I am really enjoying my homemade pancetta for flavoring.

Last night was the end of the cabbage potato soup.

Worth
Old January 30, 2018   #5573
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

i had never heard of H-Mart. I followed the link provided and found two of them near me. One is in Carrolton and one in Plano, both being suburbs of, or bedroom communities of Dallas. Carrolton is only ten minutes away from me. That store is located in a huge shopping area that includes many other giant stores. If you can't find what you need in that shopping area, it probably doesn't exist. The H-Mart is located within one mile of the indoor shooting range where I practice shooting two or three times a month and I didn't even know it was there.

I'm really hoping Amazon doesn't announce they will locate their new headquarters there. We really don't need forty thousand new residents in that area. It is already a maze of super highways and toll roads. Driving the elevated roads, all you can see is mile after mile of new roofs in the various communities.

I guess my wife and I will be taking an excursion to an H-Mart later this week. I've always wanted to try a Durian.
Old January 30, 2018   #5574
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
This is what Wiki says about Tasso ham.
I dont take everything they say as truth at all.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...7Y9Es1eRuEasKT

Got burned out on ham and BBQ of any kind some time ago and still dont know when I will ever want to eat it again.
Mine or anyone else for that matter.

Right now I am really enjoying my homemade pancetta for flavoring.

Last night was the end of the cabbage potato soup.

Worth
I had read the wiki description of Tasso. I call their version cured and smoked pork shoulder. Whoever wrote the wiki description must live in California or New York and consider Louisiana nothing but fly over country. Tasso came from the Cajun country of Louisiana and it is quite a bit more than the wiki description. I need to search wiki for crawdads and see if they are defined as small, fresh water lobsters.
Old January 30, 2018   #5575
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

That description came from the book Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing. It's a good book but it's impossible to get everything 100% correct.
https://books.google.com/books?id=T7...page&q&f=false
Rajun Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2018   #5576
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
That description came from the book Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing. It's a good book but it's impossible to get everything 100% correct.
https://books.google.com/books?id=T7...page&q&f=false
Wow!!! That is a good book. I need to go back and see if I can get it as an E-book. Your right, nothing in an instruction book is always 100% correct. I always look for better ways of doing stuff hints instead of how to do stuff from A to Z.
Old January 30, 2018   #5577
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Okay, I bought some mayocoba beans today. Many ways of cooking them are on the internet, but I decided to simply follow the cooking instructions on the package. Two cups of beans are currently presoaking in water in the refrigerator per instructions (I never presoak pinto beans). In the morning, I will drain the soaking liquid and start cooking them. The package says to add nine cups of water per cup of beans. WHHAT??? Those things must expand to the size of ping pong balls when cooked. The instructions say to cook them for two hours and salt to taste. When you instruct to cook, there is a slight difference between simmer and boil. I will choose to simmer them for two hours after bringing them to a boil. The instructions don't instruct to cook covered or uncovered. I will simmer them covered and take my chances on being right. I will taste them before adding salt. If I don't, I could easily over salt them. I will just consider the process an experiment and then figure out how to cook and season them. If they are as tasty as people claim, they shouldn't need much seasoning.

Cooking them for two hours concerns me. They look similar to the traditional white (Navy) beans and they fully cook in one half the time of pinto beans.

Last edited by DonDuck; January 30, 2018 at 05:49 PM.
Old January 30, 2018   #5578
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

"Don't even get me started on andouille"

I feel the same way about charizo sausage. For me, it is andouille sausage with a lot of paprika added.

Old January 30, 2018   #5579
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Second attempt ever in my life to make cinnamon rolls.
Last night I mixed everything up and used too much sugar.
The darn things would not rise.
I left them out overnight and they had a wee bit of action so I put them in the oven with the light on.
I got home and they had risen so I baked them.
Now I am making the caramelized sugar butter cinnamon molasses glaze for the topping.

Last edited by Worth1; January 30, 2018 at 06:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2018   #5580
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Wow these things will make you chew your hand off.
The first attempt some time ago was a total flop.
Worth
IMG_20180130_3921.jpg