Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 1, 2017   #1
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Default Sarge in Charge

My little Yorkie buddy has been with me through every hole dug, every seedling, every mulch load. Don't know how I'd do it without him. Does anyone else have a fur baby helper in the garden?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sarge in Hostas.jpg (123.7 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2849.JPG (148.3 KB, 123 views)
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2017   #2
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

That is weeeeee little dog. Cute though.
Old May 1, 2017   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Smokey eats some of the grass.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2017   #4
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Minnie (cat) loves freshly turned dirt. In the garden she would inspect most holes, and would dig herself a little hollow in the dirt pile from where she could supervise. She loves bagged dirt too, and will lay in it if she can. Nope, can't think of a garden activity where I didn't have some "help".

I appreciate the Yorkie pics. Thanks.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2017   #5
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

He's a little cutie. I have always had large breed dog and fence him out of the garden. He would sit outside and patiently watch or just wonder around the yard. We are currently Dogless but are getting a puppy from the shelter May 20th. Sergio is 1/2 Golden Retriever and 1/2 Lab and will be 9 weeks when we get him.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2017   #6
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Thanks folks. Sarge liked to roam between the rows of plants, just checking it out. He removed a few frogs yesterday.

Congrats on the new pup Steve! Perhaps you can train Sergio to be a good garden buddy!
Old May 1, 2017   #7
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Sarge is one handsome fellow. Too cute!
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2017   #8
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Nice dog, Darin.
I love dogs. I had a German Shepard once. He was a true garden helper and always wanted to be part of it. Of course it was a puppy then.
I am thinking about getting one but it has to be outdoor guard dog.
I live in a rural area with plenty of land for the dog to run/play and watch the intruders.
Any suggestions ?

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2017   #9
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Gardeneer- We have only had Sarge for two years, and before that the last dog I had was when I was 15. Sarge is an indoor/outdoor dog- he spends most days sleeping out in the driveway, in the sun. He is pretty territorial, and lets us know if any cars pull up- but he's not a yapper. He is small, compact, and extremely strong! On a leash, I am the one getting drug around.
Old May 2, 2017   #10
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Nice dog, Darin.
I love dogs. I had a German Shepard once. He was a true garden helper and always wanted to be part of it. Of course it was a puppy then.
I am thinking about getting one but it has to be outdoor guard dog.
I live in a rural area with plenty of land for the dog to run/play and watch the intruders.
Any suggestions ?
depends on your needs but an Antolian Sheperd is a great outdoor (not an indoor at all) guard dog if you have other animals to protect. We had one at my farmers market last year when man stopped with one he went to Co to meet a breeder from Ca. to get... he was a puppy and already 80#'s. we have a lot of coyotes in our area now and he got it for his homestead. One of my other customers from the same market lost sheep/lambs this past week to them. they are pretty thick here.
German sheperds are herding/guard dogs. I have one and she gets my chickens back in their yard without killing them. she is more of an indoor dog than an outdoor dog. too many neighbors and GSD's have a bad reputation for being aggressive... she is not. absolutely the friendliest one I have ever seen. we had company over night a few weeks ago. he came a night earlier than we were expecting (my son misread the txt message from him) he arrived at 3am. found an unlocked door and came in... greeted the dog and went and slept on the couch. she never barked or made a noise. I have often said she would hold the door for a robber and invite them back in for more. not much of a guard dog.
Old May 2, 2017   #11
Hollylasue
Tomatovillian™

Your dog is so cute! My little girl wants a yorkie so bad but we are at our limit for dogs and she picked the last one( Mocha,German Shepherd) so my little boy will pick the next one. One of our friends has a yorkie and they are smart and great companions. His is not yappy either.
Hollylasue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2017   #12
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

I had a German Shepherd when I lived and gardened in Wisconsin. He would hunt mice through the snow and chase down rabbits at the garden. OTOH, he caught a car tire once as a pup - not a good idea - and would run into tree trunks if something got his attention.

My current "dog" is a ragdoll cat. He follows me everywhere in the garden and loves to nap under row covers etc. He usually ends up scaring me when I see the row cover start to move on its own!
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote