Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 20, 2018   #1
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Default Every now & then I am stupid

Today, while canning the last of the tomatoes I bought, I had boiled down the mixture and was loading it into quart jars when I had a moment of stupidity and spilled 80% of the fully loaded quart on my hands and my chest. I have mostly first degree burns on my left and right thumb bases and my chest with the center being the bottom of my sternum. Now, I am really feeling stupid.

I was filing the jar with a measuring cup from my right hand to the jar which I was holding in my left hand with a pot holder protecting my skin. Then the world showed me just how stupid I can be. The jar began tilting and I knew it was going to tip too far. I guess I disregarded the fact that they were hot and tried to rescue the whole thing. I'll let your imagination fill in the stupidity of my actions.

Don't take this process lightly. I'll be hurting for a couple of days on this one. Yes, it's okay to call me stupid for at least the next 5 days.

Not too much sleep in the cards for tonight. The burning sensation is too acute. If I see blisters, I will probably go to the ER and let them remind me of just how stupid I have acted. At least I have good insurance.

Lidicaine creams are not the answer. They make the areas hurt worse after a brief period of pretty good relief. A good moisturizer seems to be the trick after you use the cold water to give yourself some immediate relief.

For those who know what I'm talking about, my pain level right now is a 7 on the scale of 10. I'm in for a long night for sure.

Best thing about this is the new Kitchenaid kit makes the juice making process much easier - if you don't do something stupid.

Tale care and don't do what I did. OUCH !!!
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2018   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Man THAT SUCKS, take care.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2018   #3
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Ouch! so sorry, I hope you feel better soon!.
Honey! put honey on it. it works wonders and aloe. but if it is an open burn use the honey.
Old October 20, 2018   #4
imp
Tomatovillian™

Sorry you got burned and about the pain. I hate burn pain, it seems no matter what you do it just freaking hurts. Hope you have a good and fast recovery.
Old October 20, 2018   #5
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

I'm a total klutz at times, so you won't hear me calling anyone stupid over something like that !! Ouch, hope it is not as bad as it sounds. The worse burn I ever suffered was from liquid drips from a nylon rope that was on fire (trying to melt the end of the cut rope so it wouldn't fray) - there was no wiping it off of my skin, just had to endure the burn until it cooled. Sleep as well as you can, a few beers may help.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2018   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Tossed a burning rag with a rock in it into a flare pit to light off the gas when oil hit and I got the crap burned out of me when it exploded.
All the side of my face.
Went home that evening with my head sticking out the truck window in the 20's F temperatures.
Looked like some sort of amazon witch doctor for a month.

Worth
Old October 20, 2018   #7
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Nothing holds the heat like a tomato - ouch!

I managed to somehow burn my lip on my lawnmower's muffler leaning over to tighten a screw. Even made a little sizzle sound!

Speedy recovery to you.

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2018   #8
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Bourbon
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2018   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Bourbon
Right.
Old October 21, 2018   #10
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Ted, it was just a mistake, and I feel bad that you are in that kind of pain. 7 on the pain scale when you don't have a disease or are in the process of giving birth is a reason to go to the ER. (I hope you got a little bit of a smile about the giving birth part being we're both men.)

1% Silvadene cream was what the ER doctors prescribed back in the 1990s. It was a prescription back then - I'm not sure if it's sold over the counter now?

The fact is that you had an accident. Being stupid would be you pouring the measuring cup of molten tomato sauce/juice on your chest to see if it would hurt or not. I've been there too often when frying foods. I'm in a hurry trying to get food on the table ASAP and putting in the fries or meat only to coat my fingertips in hot oil. It happens, and I never do it on purpose.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2018   #11
rhoder551
Tomatovillian™

I think we all do stupid things once in awhile. Aloe vera is a wonder drug for burns... The real plant not the fake jell sold in plastic bottles at the drug store. Get a plant as soon as you can and use the jell inside the leaf on your burns and the relief will be immediate. I'm a metalsmith and know a lot about doing stupid things that cause burns. Hope you feel better soon...get the aloe vera.

Last edited by rhoder551; October 21, 2018 at 12:48 AM.
rhoder551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2018   #12
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Ice it down. No covering such as butter, honey, creams. That keeps the air from cooling it to reduce the inflammation. Just ice/water in a suitable bag or ice pack. Ironically a hot water bottle holds ice water quite nicely. Ice reduces inflammation.
10 minutes on, then 1 hour off alternating. (Remember, I am a dentist, so I know of where I speak)
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2018   #13
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Default Looks like my right thumb area took the worst

Lots of excitement at the Muddy Bucket Farm yesterday. After I pulled off the dumba$$ trick of the year, we had that front move thru and it picked up our 300 pound porch swing and rolled it down the yard about 60 feet.

SwingRolled.JPG

Well, the dawn's early light showed me the damage to me from the juice. These two pictures don't really show several smaller blisters surrounding the larger ones. I'll have to get my surgical kit out later today and drain those big boys. I have several sterile scalpel blades. Gonna be fun this afternoon - NOT !!

This is the worst trick I've done in recent years. My pain level has come down to a tingling/annoying 3 this morning. Collectively, I blistered an area about the size of a silver dollar coin. No blisters so far on the sternum and my left hand.

JuiceBurn1.JPG

JuiceBurn2.JPG
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2018   #14
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Those are pretty Ted, gonna be lots of fun draining them. Perhaps one of the youngins can help and you steer them in the medical direction. Fun for everyone.

Glad to hear it's down to 3. No garden juice in those wounds!

New skin in no time.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2018   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...VhgVRES48ukrzV

I normally dont pop blisters.