Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old November 17, 2011   #1
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Default Starting my lasagna beds

Folks, I learned about lasagna beds right on this Forum, and so thank you. I am building 5 raised beds lasagna style, 12 inches high by 25 feet by 3 feet wide.

The method is as follows:

I start with a 4 inch layer of mulched leaves and tree bark that have composted for a year (already black). I wet it thoroughly.
Layer 2 is 3 inches of soil - brown top soil mixed with 30% sand.
Layer 3 is freshly mulched leaves, about 4 inches again.
Layer 4 is soil to the top of the boards - making 12 inches high.

My question - is there anything else I should be adding at this point to get it ready for March planting?

I wanted also to note that composting is amazing. I piled up mulched leaves a week ago, and today the centre of the pile was close to 100 degrees, even after a pouring rain. Those little buggers were really working hard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1146.jpg (377.3 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1147.jpg (384.5 KB, 69 views)
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2011   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Scott - just some musings / thoughts for you to consider-

I'm wondering if you need a green (meaning higher in N and/or protein, not necessarily related to the color of the input) of some sort, at least at in your first year of getting all this going. Leaves are considered a brown (higher ratio of carbon) and so is tree bark**, so I just thought I would mention it. Manures, grass clippings, or blood meal are some examples of greens.

(**but you indicated they are somewhat broken down/composted, so likely more on the "neutral" side at this point)

I would also be inclined to add a little something extra as "fast food" for the microherd, again since your beds are new, like molasses for example. But that's just me and I'm not saying it's strictly necessary, especially if you have sufficient green inputs.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2011   #3
dice
Tomatovillian™

Layer 3 will probably be down to 1-2" by spring, so you will have room
for a layer of mulch on top. I would normally suggest a winter annual
legume that you can cultivate into the top few inches of soil after cutting
it in spring, but I do not know if it is warm enough for anything to sprout
this late in the year. (Field peas sprout best at 24C, for example;
Crimson Clover is recommended to be planted "6 weeks before first
frost", and "needs some warm weather at first to become well established
before winter".)

So maybe not this year for that.
Old November 26, 2011   #4
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Folks, many thanks for the feedback. I particularly like the idea of planting a winter legume, but it is too late for that - we are already getting occasional frosts here in Atlanta.

Here are the finished beds - 25 feet by 3 feet by 12 inches. Layered mulch and topsoil. Composting quietly through the winter months, creating richness for the spring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1156.jpg (422.2 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by ScottinAtlanta; November 26, 2011 at 05:29 AM. Reason: add pic
Old November 26, 2011   #5
Too Tall Toms
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
Folks, many thanks for the feedback. I particularly like the idea of planting a winter legume, but it is too late for that - we are already getting occasional frosts here in Atlanta.

Here are the finished beds - 25 feet by 3 feet by 12 inches. Layered mulch and topsoil. Composting quietly through the winter months, creating richness for the spring.
Those beds look really neat. What kind of wood is that?

So, after you make the lasagna garden, do you have to wait until you plant in it? Or, can you plant right away??
Too Tall Toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2011   #6
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Scott, those beds look great!! That's going to be a terrific place to grow vegetables, especially tomatoes. And to think the planning you've done now will pay off in Spring for you. I hope you get lots of big juicy tomatoes in there!
Old November 26, 2011   #7
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Scott, your lasagna beds look fantastic! It appears to be a job well done. Nice pictures. Good luck in the upcoming growing season.
Dutch
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2011   #8
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall Toms View Post
Those beds look really neat. What kind of wood is that?

So, after you make the lasagna garden, do you have to wait until you plant in it? Or, can you plant right away??
The wood is simply 2 X 12 treated wood, what we call deck wood in Atlanta, from Lowes at around $1.13/foot. It should last 4-5 years before rotting.

I understand that you can plant immediately, but I prefer to let the 200 bags of mulched leaves compost a while through the winter. The soil used between the mulch layers is sieved with 30% sand so that it is permeable and soft.
Old November 26, 2011   #9
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

Looks great! I think your mixture will work just fine, but as Suze said, a green can be helpful. When I have done lasagna beds in the past I always used grass clippings as one of the layers. Living up north does not only mean a shorter growing season, but also a shorter composting season. The grass clippings have always helped me to speed up the process.
Old December 1, 2011   #10
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Would alfalfa pellets work for the "green"?
Old December 1, 2011   #11
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

They should work very well. But be careful if you decide to plant right away and not let them compost down. I added too much alfafa meal to my growing tomato pots and about killed them. I had to repot the lot of them, and the dumped soil smelled just like fermented fresh cow manure! Too much of a good thing!

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2011   #12
dustyrivergarden
Tomatovillian™

Don't forget to add rock dust. For a new bed I found that to be a huge plus for me.
Old December 10, 2011   #13
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrivergarden View Post
Don't forget to add rock dust. For a new bed I found that to be a huge plus for me.
Why rock dust, Dusty?
Old December 11, 2011   #14
dustyrivergarden
Tomatovillian™

I have a garden blog go to it at www.dustyrivergardens.blogspot.com and look for Growing your Soil with rock dust. Its the last of my articles on the page. I really have had a lot of success using it and my tomatoes have a ton more flavor....