Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 13, 2017   #76
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Good to know this growth habit. Brutus was slow to start too, but I have a 9 month growing season, should be OK. Is the foliage wispy?
No! Some of the largest RL leaves I've seen on a plant. This is a distinguishing feature of this variety 😀
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2017   #77
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Good to know this growth habit. Brutus was slow to start too, but I have a 9 month growing season, should be OK. Is the foliage wispy?
Here is a picture of the leaves, when it was still a youngster. These leaves are broad:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DLH 4-26-17.JPG (217.9 KB, 200 views)
Old August 13, 2017   #78
Hntrss
Tomatovillian™

So far Elgin Pink , Jazz and Rebel Yell are this years favorite. And thanks to Marsha and all others generous enough to offer seeds! I am looking forward to a shot at the Lebanese heart as soon as someone offers, I am all in!
Hntrss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2017   #79
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hntrss View Post
So far Elgin Pink , Jazz and Rebel Yell are this years favorite. And thanks to Marsha and all others generous enough to offer seeds! I am looking forward to a shot at the Lebanese heart as soon as someone offers, I am all in!
Huntress, there is only one. PM sent!

Darin

P.S. and absolutely agree on Rebel Yell, what a whale of a tomato!!!
Old August 14, 2017   #80
rwouhaybi
Tomatovillian™

wow, so glad I found this thread.
I am initially from Lebanon and was very excited to grow Omar Lebanese this summer as a wonderful reminder of the tomatoes of my childhood. However, the plant that I have is producing heart shaped tomatoes. I kept thinking they will look different once they are ripe however that never happened. We ate the first 2 ripe tomatoes last week, they tasted like the large tomatoes that I was used to, but they didn't look the same. Should I assume that I have this variation? and save seeds accordingly?
Now, to answer the initial request, this year, so far, the biggest pleasant surprise has been Champagne Cherry. I am addicted to them and have already saved seeds. Of course, we have only been getting cherry tomatoes since our season is very late this year in Portland, I am sure there will be many more. Also, last night, I tried the first Frosted Green Doctors and it was fantastic, definitely on the list to grow again.

Rita
rwouhaybi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2017   #81
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwouhaybi View Post
I am initially from Lebanon and was very excited to grow Omar Lebanese this summer as a wonderful reminder of the tomatoes of my childhood. However, the plant that I have is producing heart shaped tomatoes. I kept thinking they will look different once they are ripe however that never happened. We ate the first 2 ripe tomatoes last week, they tasted like the large tomatoes that I was used to, but they didn't look the same. Should I assume that I have this variation? and save seeds accordingly?
Now, to answer the initial request, this year, so far, the biggest pleasant surprise has been Champagne Cherry. I am addicted to them and have already saved seeds. Of course, we have only been getting cherry tomatoes since our season is very late this year in Portland, I am sure there will be many more. Also, last night, I tried the first Frosted Green Doctors and it was fantastic, definitely on the list to grow again.

Rita
Hi Rita! May I ask where you got your seeds? Thanks!

Darin
Old August 14, 2017   #82
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

You've been singing praises for Fried Green on a couple of occasions so I have to try it, even though I've never had a fried green tomato before. From Park seeds.

I will be looking for you here if it does not work out !

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
Still early for me to really add...

But at the moment, Dan 'DeFollettes' multiflora is a fantastic mix in flavor of SunGold
and ChocCherry. I've been picking 2-3 dozen a day off of 6-7 plants. For a couple weeks
now. (I have SunGold and ChocCherry now to compare)
They did get a head start by Winter growing...micro hunting. I let them cascade on
the deck bench just outside the kitchen. If I staked them, they would be about 3ft.
I have five F5's growing now, micros, 6-8inch, no staking needed...

(saving seeds of the 3ft multiflora)...and the micro of course.

The other surprise is FriedGreen. If you like to cook and always searching for more ways
to use your harvest....this one is a great addition to the recipe creators kitchen.(I don't use recipes but like to find different ways to use produce). A fun one and crispy firm,
tart/sweet.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2017   #83
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwouhaybi View Post

Rita
Rita,I am currently in contact with Omar and three others from Lebanon, and what you have is a heart version of Omar's Lebanese that was found by Darin Dotson,aka Spartenburg 123.

So no need to save seeds, since what you grew was the original Omar's Lebanese and there are plenty of the heart form seeds, perhaps even Darin could send you some or I could as well..

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Omar%27s_Lebanese

I'd be delighted if you would please e-mail me at

cmale@aol.com

And I can bring you up to date with others from Lebanon that I'm now in contact with.

Thanks,

Carolyn
Old August 15, 2017   #84
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Hi Rita, you can also check out this thread about your heart shaped one.
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ght=Dotson%27s
Wondering if your seed source was Totally Tomatoes, where Darin Dotson got his?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2017   #85
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Hi Rita, you can also check out this thread about your heart shaped one.
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ght=Dotson%27s
Wondering if your seed source was Totally Tomatoes, where Darin Dotson got his?
Marsha- thanks for posting that link. I went through my list of names and addresses where I sent seeds produced by Dutch (about 25 folks), but Rita's username or state was not one of them. I realize that doesn't mean that she couldn't have gotten seeds from someone else indirectly. Posting pictures of the plant and fruit will help us determine if they are indeed DLH, or a totally different heart variety that came about due to a seed mix-up.

Thanks!

Darin
Old August 15, 2017   #86
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Here's the link to Dotson's LH.at Tomatobase wiki. http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/D...Lebanese_Heart
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2017   #87
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Some comments.

Of course I was glad to see that Rita was originally from Lebanon, and I thought she might like to know some others from Lebanon,which is why I gave her my em addy.

How many times here have we seen someone say they live only an hour away from someone else,let's get together.Or someone say I used to live there,is the restaurant on 4th and 16th street still going.

So Rita, that's why I gave you my em address and what did I say?I said I was sure that Darin would send you some seeds for the heart one,or words to that effect as you can see by going back and rereading what I said..

As for what you see with Tania's link, that's not what it orginally was.

Since it was Dutch who opted to growout what Darin sent seeds to me and marsha,he said possibly a heart,and yes,it turned out to be just that. But there were some claims made in the original Tania one that weren 't correct ,so Dutch,who had sent about 400 seeds to Darin who turned around and made a seed offer never saying that they were Dutch's . Dutch asked Tania's permission to make some changes and she said yes,but there is still one item there that is not correct.

OK Marsha,you sent just one of three contentious threads about this whole issue, should I now link to the other two which are still in my faves? I don't think Rita deserves all of this,IMO.

And since I just met Rita obviously I did not send her any seeds of anything and I say this since this possibility was alluded to above,without naming names..

Now some of you I hope remember IMP,Suzy, who lives in TX.She was the one where there was a very long thread here when her DH ROB developed cancer, she had to quit her job to drive him back and forth to the hospital for cancer treatments,he continued to go downhill,I hope you remember that.

She left get groceries,came home,went up the stairs to check on Rob,he looked at her said he loved her and shot himself in the head.

George in CO offered to take money donations to help her out.

What she wrote to me yesterday, was directed at Tville and all the arguing and fighting and back stabbing that goes on here now, and I agree with her in that regard. And it hasn't always been that way, speaking as one who was here back on day one when TV opened in jan of 2006 and already found herself as a global Mod.

And I agree with her and plan to send it to just a few here who ought to know about it,that is M and the Global Mods.

Carolyn, who used to enjoy coming here every day,actually several times a day,but not anymore since she never knows what really bad stuff she'll find and have to deal with. It shouldn't be this way, it wasn't for many years after TV opened, but it is now, sadly. Is there a good reason why we can't just respect what someone says even if we don't agree with what was said without fighting and all of that? I think there is but it means everyone just getting along with others?Is that possible?
Old August 15, 2017   #88
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Now some of you I hope remember IMP,Suzy, who lives in TX.... (quote edited by Sherry to delete material)
George in CO offered to take money donations to help her out.
Carolyn -- What ever in the world does this have to do with the subject at hand. I was quite taken aback (actually quite horrified) to read this part of your message. How awful that you felt it necessary to recount this tragedy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
What she wrote to me yesterday, was directed at Tville and all the arguing and fighting and back stabbing that goes on here now, and I agree with her in that regard. And it hasn't always been that way, speaking as one who was here back on day one when TV opened in jan of 2006 and already found herself as a global Mod.

And according to the Terms of Use for T'ville that private messages between moderators and members are not to be disclosed to the public.

I am also a long-time member here. And most everyone will probably know that I've never entered into this type of discussion, but I could not let this go without comment.

Respecfully,

Sherry

Last edited by Sherry_AK; August 15, 2017 at 02:45 PM.
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2017   #89
rwouhaybi
Tomatovillian™

Wow, that sounds like a controversial tomato, did not see this coming! Sorry for stirring that pot, was never my intent, I just love tomatoes!

Carolyn, thanks for the your sweet words, I will send you an email.

I am not sure right now where I got the seeds since I am at work, will check my records once I get home, but I am 90% confident that I got a small envelope from a local seed exchange!

Rita
rwouhaybi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2017   #90
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Is there a good reason why we can't just respect what someone says even if we don't agree with what was said without fighting and all of that? I think there is but it means everyone just getting along with others?Is that possible?
It's hard to respect what someone says when they outright fabricate and twist facts to ruin an innocent persons reputation.

Quote:
As for what you see with Tania's link, that's not what it orginally was.

Since it was Dutch who opted to growout what Darin sent seeds to me and marsha,he said possibly a heart,and yes,it turned out to be just that. But there were some claims made in the original Tania one that weren 't correct ,so Dutch,who had sent about 400 seeds to Darin who turned around and made a seed offer never saying that they were Dutch's . Dutch asked Tania's permission to make some changes and she said yes,but there is still one item there that is not correct.
I already addressed these very incorrect facts in my reply to you here - http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost....8&postcount=37 and was hoping we could keep all this kind of argument in just one place.

It's one thing to not agree on the name a tomato should be called. It's another thing to continue to say untrue things that hurt the reputation of an outstanding contributing member of this community.

I ask you again, specifically, list what untrue information was given to Tania? And Darin has many, many times told everyone he mailed seeds to that they came from Dutch.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote