Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 14, 2010   #16
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Talon,

Sounds like you got a slightly smaller (30 gallon) container, which will work fine. Some of the cage mounting dimensions may be different as compared with the Lowes 31 gallon Rugged Tote.

The EarthTainer holds about 3.3 cubic feet of Grow Media. Using the 3:2:1 Combo Mix, you will need about 1.6 cu. ft. of the Potting Mix, 1.1 cu. ft. Decorative Groundcover Bark, and 0.5 cu. ft. of Perlite per 'Tainer.

Did you get the DuPont 15 yr. Landscape Fabric from Lowes yet?

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2010   #17
Talon1189
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
Talon,

Sounds like you got a slightly smaller (30 gallon) container, which will work fine. Some of the cage mounting dimensions may be different as compared with the Lowes 31 gallon Rugged Tote.

The EarthTainer hold about 3.3 cubic feet of Grow Media. Using the 3:2:1 Combo Mix, you will need about 1.6 cu. ft. of the Potting Mix, 1.1 cu. ft. Decorative Groundcover Bark, and 0.55 cu. ft. of Perlite per 'Tainer.

Did you get the DuPont 15 yr. Landscape Fabric from Lowes yet?

Raybo
I still need to go to Lowes to get the fabric and a couple of wicking baskets. Maybe I will buy the 31 gallon containers there and take my 30 gallon ones back for a refund. I want to do everything correctly ya know
Old April 14, 2010   #18
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Talon,

If it not too much of a hassle I would suggest using the Lowes 31 gal Rugged Totes. Then, the Guide should be straightforward. Keep in mind an alternative for the wicking basket is to take a heavy duty Deli container about the specified size as the net pot, and drill a bunch of small holes in the bottom and sides of it.

You will still need the 2 rigid 4 1/8 inch spacers to support the aeration bench, and not have the wicking basket collapse from the weight of the Grow Media.

Have fun!!

Raybo
Old April 15, 2010   #19
Talon1189
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Talon,

If it not too much of a hassle I would suggest using the Lowes 31 gal Rugged Totes. Then, the Guide should be straightforward. Keep in mind an alternative for the wicking basket is to take a heavy duty Deli container about the specified size as the net pot, and drill a bunch of small holes in the bottom and sides of it.

You will still need the 2 rigid 4 1/8 inch spacers to support the aeration bench, and not have the wicking basket collapse from the weight of the Grow Media.

Have fun!!

Raybo
I went to Lowes today to get the proper 31 gallon totes. I took the 30 gallon totes to Target for a refund I also got the Dupont 15 year fabric. I was unable to find anything there to use for the wicking baskets so I ordered them online at the link in the Rev. 2 instructions. I attempted to buy the 13 cent 1/8 wire clips from the 2nd link and it said there is nothing matching my search once I was on the site. I am on a tight budget being unemployed. Any other ideas where I can get these cheaply? Thanks! >>>>>>>>> Talon
Old April 15, 2010   #20
GHurt
Tomatovillian™

I believe these are the ones..

http://www.pambinaimpex.com/servlet/Detail?no=48

Also what I do with the left over piece of tote after you cut the bottom of it off. I actually place it back within the completed container after lining the bottom and sides with the Dupont. This way its a tad sturdier and holds a tad more dirt.
GHurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2010   #21
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Thanks GHurt. I just went to the link and it worked fine for me. Talon, perhaps you have some sort of spam blocker enabled that wouldn't let you in.

That is a good idea to place the unused piece back in the EarthTainer to add thickness to the side walls. Do you have a photo or two you could post? I think I should add this to the Guide where you are not using tomato cages (Peppers, cukes, etc.)

Raybo
Old April 15, 2010   #22
Talon1189
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHurt View Post
I believe these are the ones..

http://www.pambinaimpex.com/servlet/Detail?no=48

Also what I do with the left over piece of tote after you cut the bottom of it off. I actually place it back within the completed container after lining the bottom and sides with the Dupont. This way its a tad sturdier and holds a tad more dirt.
Thanks for the link...GHurt....I was able to order them through the site. I do have a spam blocker......maybe that was the problem. Anyways.....I am happy
Old April 15, 2010   #23
GHurt
Tomatovillian™

Ill get you some pictures this weekend, i'm currently away from the homefront. And i'm even using cages
GHurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2010   #24
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHurt View Post
Ill get you some pictures this weekend, i'm currently away from the homefront. And i'm even using cages
Wow, I REALLY want to see those pictures! I can't imagine how you can get the tote piece down over the 2 cages, and into the outer shell.

Raybo
Old April 16, 2010   #25
Talon1189
Tomatovillian™

I got the 15 1/2 x 54 inch cages heavy duty tomato cages ($10.00) each.......... Will this make a difference or should I take them back for a refund? I am making 2 earthtainers here
Old April 16, 2010   #26
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Talon,

If you are measuring 15 1/2 inches at the top hoop, then they are smaller in diameter than the recommended Glamos cages, which are 18" in diameter. This is what you ideally want:

If you cannot absolutely find them, the ones you bought will work in a pinch, but you will have to use the wire rope clip on the top hoopset, rather than the second one down to keep the cages vertical. Again, workable - - but not as rigid and less than ideal.

Raybo
Old April 17, 2010   #27
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Ray, I have a question for you, and hopefully I'm not asking something that's not already been covered.

In the second post in this thread, I see what appears to be a second cage added on top (but turned upside down and somehow attached) for additional height.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/h...e/IMG_7110.jpg

Could you explain what is shown here, please? Is it two Glamos cages, or a Glamos on bottom and one of the more inexpensive / typical 4 ring cages attached on top upside down?

Thanks.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2010   #28
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Suze,

Good Eye!!

The (inverted) cage is indeed a second Glamos cage, with the 4 legs cut off (I don't need to attract a lightening strike). However, now that the heavy duty Glamos cages are difficult to find (and expensive) you can take ANY cage that has an 18 inch diameter hoop, and affix it to the base cage with zip ties. Home Depot in our area is now carrying the lighter duty 18" by 54" tall 4-leg cages, and they would work fine for the inverted cage.

Raybo
Old April 19, 2010   #29
Talon1189
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Talon,

If you are measuring 15 1/2 inches at the top hoop, then they are smaller in diameter than the recommended Glamos cages, which are 18" in diameter. This is what you ideally want:

If you cannot absolutely find them, the ones you bought will work in a pinch, but you will have to use the wire rope clip on the top hoopset, rather than the second one down to keep the cages vertical. Again, workable - - but not as rigid and less than ideal.

Raybo
I found the Glamos 18 x 54" inch "heavy duty" cages today and bought them at a nursery near me for $10.00 each. Thanks for the help Raybo
Old April 19, 2010   #30
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Way to go, Talon!!!

You may want to post the name of the Nursery in case others in the Detroit area may be looking for them. I am SURE you will be happier with the 18 inch ones rather than the original smaller ones you purchased.

Raybo