Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 26, 2011   #61
lowlylowlycook
Tomatovillian™

Another bullet point for future LakeTainer marketing.
  • Designed to be stable in high winds, unlike the EarthTainer.

To be fair the EarthTainer that got blown over had a Sungold and Black Cherry in it so the wind had a much,much longer torque arm to work with. Also the new cages made sure that the lid stayed on so the only damage was almost a quart of greenies falling off.

Did I say only?

For next year I'll have to decide between fence posts and inflatable rings to provide more stability.
lowlylowlycook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2011   #62
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

llc,

I am "blown away" that you had an EarthTainer III fall over due to wind. These suckers weigh over 150 pounds and have a very low center of gravity using the 31 gallon Rugged Tote container. What kind of Hurricane force winds blew it over???

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2011   #63
lowlylowlycook
Tomatovillian™

So I pulled my first tomatoes from the LakeTainer today. Also pulled off a hornworm so I decided to make sure these survived.

Now to summon the patience to wait for them to finish ripening.
Old July 5, 2011   #64
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

llc,

Looking real good!!

That Hornworm must be a real "Sailor".

Raybo
Old July 6, 2011   #65
jamesjbird
Tomatovillian™

I have a small fish pond where I feed Herons! LOL that should work well. The Yankee initiative still is alive. Thanx
jamesjbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2011   #66
Katmary
Tomatovillian™

ROFL! This is the funniest thing! There's a small lake in the center of my neighborhood, though I'm not on the lake part or I'd be very tempted! I bet if I sent some out there would be one heated HOH discussion! About a fourth of the neighbors DO garden and when I'm back on my other computer, I'm forwarding this to them! Good luck! Seems hornworms can get anywhere, can't they!
Katmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2011   #67
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Holy cow, that is the funniest thing ever! I am totally amazed and humbled by your creative solution. What a riot... what about things like muskrats? Don't you have those in your lake? I know we do and they love to come to the shore and eat all the plants and flowers, so I'm wondering if they would eat the maters too, or maybe it's too scary because it moves and bobbles?

I really need to make one of those myself but my float that no one uses anymore is a much bigger donut than that one and I couldn't imagine how big the container would need to be...but wow, how funny is that! I love it!
lakelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2011   #68
mayeeta
Tomatovillian™

I joined tomatoville because of your post. Awesome experiment. You can create a floating garden like in the ancient time.
mayeeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2011   #69
BW_AustinTX
Tomatovillian™

I wonder if light reflection off the water would effect the underside of the leaves in a negative manner.
Hope it works for you, really clever!
BW_AustinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2012   #70
mysidx
Tomatovillian™

This is an awesome thread, I can't wait until you set sail again....
mysidx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2012   #71
janezee
Tomatovillian™

+1
This one made me laugh and laugh. Thanks!
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012   #72
lowlylowlycook
Tomatovillian™

Here we see the elusive LakeTainer in it's natural habitat. If you look carefully you can see the weaved exoskeleton characteristic of the mature LakeTainer.

Even more rare is a baby LakeTainer. Indeed few have seen one. Sadly it is deformed by the loss of two of it's usual three wicks. Hopefully it can survive.

The "baby" has cloth wicks instead of the soil wicks that I copied from the Earthtainer design. Apparently if the openings for the wicks are too tight they are quite likely to be sheared off. The original Laketainer has a new rope basket weaved around it so that it fits more snugly in it's tube. Since the tube's covering is getting pretty bad I figured I couldn't count on it to keep the bucket raised high enough.
Old May 5, 2012   #73
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Hey LLC,

Glad to see you are constantly "improving" the design!

What Varieties are you growing this year?

As I am now out of space, I've been thinking about putting a couple of your LakeTainers in my Hot Tub.

Keep up the good work!!

Raybo
Old May 5, 2012   #74
lowlylowlycook
Tomatovillian™

They are both Sophie's Choice. So far my other varieties have been kept for the garden and Earthtainers.

It will be interesting to see how the new one does. I don't know if the last wick will stay on or if the plant will force roots through the slits that were put in for the other two.

The cloth wicks make for a simpler design but it's not that easy to find largish, round and fairly shallow containers with sloping sides to keep them from slipping into the water.

The hot tub should allow some really early plantouts.
Will Actionovate and Serenade keep a hottub clear? Only you can find out Raybo
Old May 5, 2012   #75
Zana
Tomatovillian™

LLC - Love your Laketainers. If I spent more time up at out place on the lake I'd be doing it too. I'd just be worried about the idiots with the jetskis running them over.

Ray - You could always check freecycle.com or fullcircles.com to see if anybody is giving away an old hot tub. That way you could have your "tubtainer" and enjoy your tub too.

Zana
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote