Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 4, 2013   #46
HiPoha
Tomatovillian™

Nick. The blue 55 gallon drums last a long time . The ones I'm getting have been sitting out in the sun for over 15 years in my brothers salvage lot, and it looks like it will last many more years as my garden pots. You can find new ones at some food processing plants for cheap or some dialysis treatment hospitals for free (just clean them out thoroughly). Craigslist is another place to check.
HiPoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013   #47
GoGayleGo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
Gayle,

I wouldn't plan on long term planting in them as the Sun's UV will destroy these after about 4 years outdoors. You could wrap them in bamboo or rattan to extend their life somewhat.

Raybo
Well that's a bummer! Part of the appeal is the rainbow of color, so I'm not keen on wrapping in rattan...maybe will plant in these for now, knowing I'll need to transplant in a few years.
GoGayleGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013   #48
jimshuejohn
Tomatovillian™

Default Found a neat supplier

I recently discovered that Worm' Way has a store in my neighborhood. They had about every side and type of container in stock at catalog prices.
jimshuejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013   #49
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
Gayle,

I wouldn't plan on long term planting in them as the Sun's UV will destroy these after about 4 years outdoors. You could wrap them in bamboo or rattan to extend their life somewhat.

Raybo
I bought some yard tubs with handles at Aldi's a few years ago...they didn't hold up. after about 3 years they all have shattered. I thought they would be great for gardening, but evidently not.

Unless they are UV resistant, I wouldn't count on them being any different.
Old May 8, 2013   #50
GoGayleGo
Tomatovillian™

I don't think they are UV resistant, but they are definitely not the same as the ones with the rope handles. These are very soft and pliable.

In any case, I'm pretty much committed now, and will just have to repot in the future.

I will buy one of the UV sprays I've seen recommended, and just give it my best shot.
Old May 8, 2013   #51
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Mine were soft and pliable with molded handles the same as the tubs not the hard plastic with rope handles. They were similar to the trug tubs. http://www.gardeners.com/Colorful-Ga...efault,pd.html
Just not nearly as expensive. I got what I paid for.
Old May 9, 2013   #52
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

It's not the end of the world if they only last a season or two. I got a lot of use out of that sterilite tote before it broke.

Just be careful lifting, since they look fine but become very brittle.

Tl
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013   #53
GoGayleGo
Tomatovillian™

I will spend the next year or two working on finding the perfect replacement containers (LOL)! Ones that will hopefully last longer.

My 18-gallon totes are the Sterilite Ultras, only used them last year but they are holding up OK so far.
Old May 10, 2013   #54
tedln

I noticed in her "Just Showing Off" thread dated back to 2011, Carolyn Phillips is also using 25 gallon containers very similar to the containers I purchased for $2.00 each this year.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...t=18309&page=2

See post #24.

I wonder where or how she acquired her containers.

Ted

Last edited by tedln; May 10, 2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old May 10, 2013   #55
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, that's the thread that makes me want do try containers!

But hers are on the ground, so more like raised beds than SWCs. I've considered Smart Pots, but it's just such a hassle to keep anything watered in our climate.

Tl
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013   #56
GoGayleGo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
I noticed in her "Just Showing Off" thread dated back to 2011, Carolyn Phillips is also using 25 gallon containers very similar to the containers I purchased for $2.00 each this year.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...t=18309&page=2

See post #24.

I wonder where or how she acquired her containers.

Ted
I could be wrong, but it looks like her containers have drainage holes? That's the biggest challenge I've had, finding containers without holes. As mentioned earlier in this thread, I called Greenhouse Megastore to inquire about their 25-gallon containers (link was provided even earlier in this thread), and they do have drainage holes. Ugh.
Old May 10, 2013   #57
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGayleGo View Post
I could be wrong, but it looks like her containers have drainage holes? That's the biggest challenge I've had, finding containers without holes. As mentioned earlier in this thread, I called Greenhouse Megastore to inquire about their 25-gallon containers (link was provided even earlier in this thread), and they do have drainage holes. Ugh.
Soooooo, necessity it the mother of all invention.... Use aquarium/silicon glue and patch the holes. maybe that would work. Just try one to see how it would work. or line one of the containers with those contractors plastic trash can liners. They are very heavy duty. Just a few thoughts.
Old May 10, 2013   #58
tedln

I have a large wooden container I built from old scrap wood. I lined it with a double layer of large, heavy duty, garbage bags. I filled the bags with soil and punched drainage holes at the level I wanted. They have worked well for many years because sunlight never touches them. They would also work well to block existing holes in large plastic containers. My sweet basil and Moravsky Div. tomato are growing in the wooden container this year.

Ted
Old May 10, 2013   #59
GoGayleGo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Soooooo, necessity it the mother of all invention.... Use aquarium/silicon glue and patch the holes. maybe that would work. Just try one to see how it would work. or line one of the containers with those contractors plastic trash can liners. They are very heavy duty. Just a few thoughts.
I tried that last year with some window boxes I had, that had only a few small holes in them. Whatever silicone or glue we used held for awhile, then leaked like a sieve...hence my decision to only use containers without holes from now on, just like the OP stated was part of his criteria.

Thanks for the thought though!
Old May 10, 2013   #60
GoGayleGo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
I have a large wooden container I built from old scrap wood. I lined it with a double layer of large, heavy duty, garbage bags. I filled the bags with soil and punched drainage holes at the level I wanted. They have worked well for many years because sunlight never touches them. They would also work well to block existing holes in large plastic containers. My sweet basil and Moravsky Div. tomato are growing in the wooden container this year.

Ted
That's a good idea, thanks for the suggestion. Not sure whether I'll go that way or not, but it's good to have options!