Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 2, 2019   #46
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I believe the roots are left in the ground, but yeah, the buyers take the entire plant, stems snd all. "Biomass"is the industry term. I have seen pics of 60k lbs hanging in one huge warehouse. Right now very large quantities like that go for $20 a pound. Small batches can fetch $50+ per pound.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2019   #47
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Let's face it ... they need southern, and central Illinois to grow it, not Chicago unless they want to try indoors.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2019   #48
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
Let's face it ... they need southern, and central Illinois to grow it, not Chicago unless they want to try indoors.

Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2019   #49
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

Just talked to a farmer in my area who is putting in 40 acres this spring. I think this will continue on a small scale until the big boys want to play.
I have family connections with the Dekalb plant in Farmer City. Formerly Monsanto, now owned by Bayer. They contract nearly all of their corn seed production with local farmers. I've been told that they are moving in this direction with hemp. When big $ jumps in, things will happen quickly.
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2019   #50
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbebs View Post
Just talked to a farmer in my area who is putting in 40 acres this spring. I think this will continue on a small scale until the big boys want to play.
I have family connections with the Dekalb plant in Farmer City. Formerly Monsanto, now owned by Bayer. They contract nearly all of their corn seed production with local farmers. I've been told that they are moving in this direction with hemp. When big $ jumps in, things will happen quickly.

I don't think that is good news for the small producer.
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2019   #51
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

It is inevitable that big money will step in, fortunately the bigger something is, the slower it moves. So there will be a few years of boomtime before that happens.

If anyone wants to be set for life, come with with Roundup Ready hemp seed. That will be one of the first giant innovations.
Old January 3, 2019   #52
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The idea of roundup ready hemp is as about as wrong as the idea of breeding a line of toothless Dobermans.
I mean think about it, the people that pushed this stuff in the beginning are and were earth friendly for the most part.

Worth
Old January 3, 2019   #53
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
The idea of roundup ready hemp is as about as wrong as the idea of breeding a line of toothless Dobermans.
I mean think about it, the people that pushed this stuff in the beginning are and were earth friendly for the most part.

Worth

Sure, I agree. It's coming, though. Right now cbd hemp especially is a very labor intensive crop. And despite being called weed, it will not outgrow the other weeds. Large scale farmers I know are used to no till, one pass, spray and plant. Then if the crop doesnt outgrow the sprayed weeds, they spray again, usually only with soybeans though. One farmer can grow hundreds of acres. But with cbd hemp as it is now, that would be like one person trying to grow hundreds of actes of tomatoes.

The CRISPR editor that made the Chinese baby girls immune to HIV goes for $99. Anyone can set up a garage lab and try their hand at editing genes, and they probably are right now.
Old January 3, 2019   #54
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Reminds me of the EPA, OSHA the DEA and all the other agencies involved.
What started by good thinking well meaning people to do good turned into a more or less lord what do I call it and be nice?
I have no idea my hands are tied with the filters here.
Hard to express myself many times.
Maybe, well you know, none of us are stupid, 'you know what I mean.

Worth
Old January 9, 2019   #55
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Illinois is currently in the public comment window. Anyone wishing to make a public comment, which by the way are published in the legislative records with commenter's name, may do so by emailing agr.hemp@illinois.gov
Old January 9, 2019   #56
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Illinois is currently in the public comment window. Anyone wishing to make a public comment, which by the way are published in the legislative records with commenter's name, may do so by emailing agr.hemp@illinois.gov
Illinois...
Most of our ex Govenors are in jail...
Highest taxes in the nation...
Largest population shift, moving out of state, of any state...
We have two murder capitals of the world...
One of the most gun controlled States in the Nation, and it's not working
Ad Nausem ...

Unless you paid a well connected lobbyist, chances of getting a license, without paying a ton of money for it, are slim.
We have good dirt though!
Old January 9, 2019   #57
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
Illinois...
Most of our ex Govenors are in jail...
Highest taxes in the nation...
Largest population shift, moving out of state, of any state...
We have two murder capitals of the world...
One of the most gun controlled States in the Nation, and it's not working
Ad Nausem ...

Unless you paid a well connected lobbyist, chances of getting a license, without paying a ton of money for it, are slim.
We have good dirt though!
That is how it went for the med pot cultivation license, but they say there will be no limit on the number of hemp licenses they give out. They will be distracteed anyway with the race to set up legal recreational pot.
Old March 21, 2019   #58
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

the second draft of rules...

http://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/...1824360r02.pdf

Noted changes include the offering of a one and two year license, land need not be taxed as farmland, just used as farmland previously, and it looks like the requirement for seed to be aosca certified has been amended to include other varieties certified by other state ag departments.

It has not been officially announced yet, but I have an inside source whom I trust telling me that Illinois is also going to suspend the requirement to apply 90 days before planting for 2019, in order to allow farmers to get off a crop this year.
Old March 21, 2019   #59
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
the second draft of rules...

http://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/...1824360r02.pdf

Noted changes include the offering of a one and two year license, land need not be taxed as farmland, just used as farmland previously, and it looks like the requirement for seed to be aosca certified has been amended to include other varieties certified by other state ag departments.

It has not been officially announced yet, but I have an inside source whom I trust telling me that Illinois is also going to suspend the requirement to apply 90 days before planting for 2019, in order to allow farmers to get off a crop this year.
I've been waiting in the weeds...
I'm looking at A 2-3 acre patch, just waiting for the dust to settle...
Old March 21, 2019   #60
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk