Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old August 2, 2007   #1
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Default Ripeness question

My lone plant has around 10 fruit on it with all being around the size of a baseball. What I noticed yesterday that even though they are roughly the same size, some feel light as a feather while others feel much heavier. Does that mean the heavier ones are ripe enough to eat?
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2007   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by duajones View Post
My lone plant has around 10 fruit on it with all being around the size of a baseball. What I noticed yesterday that even though they are roughly the same size, some feel light as a feather while others feel much heavier. Does that mean the heavier ones are ripe enough to eat?
I don't know. I generally go by size not weight, and tend to err on the side of picking when on the small side if I'm not sure, because they can sometimes get woody/pithy if left on the plant too long. I think the only way you're going to know if there's a difference is to just pick a couple and try them out.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2007   #3
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Each fruit should feel heavy for it's size. Another clue is the skin. It should look glossy, rather than dull. I also tend to pick mine on the small side to get milder flavor.
Old August 4, 2007   #4
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Picked one yesterday, breaded with panko and baked,very good. It was one that was heavy for its size
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote