Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old June 24, 2008   #1
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

Default What can I expect?

This is my first year growing eggplant. I have a half dozen plants I started from seed. They are all in big, black pots and doing very well. I had a little problem with flea beetles, but some pyola nipped that in the bud quickly. I'm getting some flowers now...amazingly beautiful!

How tall will these plants get? I can't remember what kind they are...the regular purple hybrids from the Gurney's catalogue I think. Do they have male and female flowers like the curcurbits? Are they open pollinated, self pollinated, or do they need a pollinator (plenty of bees thanks to not using any pesticides so far this year). Also, how long until I should start seeing fruit big enough to eat? Can you pick them when they are small or is it best to let them get full sized and glossy before harvest?

Thanks for the help...looking forward to growing some of those other varieties next year!
Old June 25, 2008   #2
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Hunt - depends on the variety, but generally mine grow about 3 1/2 to 4 ft tall and they kinda branch out. I believe they are self pollinating not like cukes (someone correct me if I am wrong) they should begin setting any day now - I have loads of flowers also. If it is Dusky or similar, they should be ready at about 1 lb to 2 lb - shiny and black. Pciked smaller, they might be bitter.

PaulF says you will attend the Midwest Tomato Fest -we do have a great time and the best food so I look forward to meeting you. How close to setting/ripening are the toms? Mine have a modest set but varieties have flowers or at least buds. If I am really, really lucky, Togorific will have a ripe one by the 4th. They are ony .50 size so it is possible.
Piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2008   #3
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

Piegirl...thanks for the info...I won't pick them until they are big enough then. I like to pick the cukes when they are as small as possible...won't do that with the aubergine.

I doubt very seriously that we'll have ripe fruit by the 4th...the two hybrids I have in the garden (rutgers and betterboy vfn) will ikely be the first fruits to ripen in a couple of weeks. The brandywines and cherokee purple are a bit bigger than eggs, the romas are doing well as are the cherry and pear tomatoes, but it will ikely be late July/early August before we have lots of varieties (14 heirlooms) ripe. Until then, we'll wait patiently!

Yes...the wife and I plan on making the trip up there if gas isn't a million dollars a gallon by then.
Old June 25, 2008   #4
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Yes, Eggplant do self-pollinate - just like their relatives, tomatoes and peppers. You can save seeds (wait until the fruits get yellow and soft, just cut in half and hold in a bowl of water, run your fingers around the flesh - sieve and dry the seeds). And, saving seeds from hybrids is fun, since you end up with something different and unexpected (one of the parents or something in between!). This year I am growing out all sorts of F2 and F3s.

You can pick them at any size you like - but be sure that it is before they get dull and start to fade in color or turn yellow or get soft. I stake mine to a 4 foot stake, but eventual height does vary by variety. New York Improved, a big black purple bulbous thing, can get nearly 5 feet tall. Most are in the 3-4 foot range.