Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 29, 2018   #16
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

A large percentage of people do not know the difference between PWR and RWR varieties. For most of us, we want a tomato that looks red, tastes wonderful, and has some shelf life. That's just a fact.

I personally would choose a PWR over any RWR, and that's coming from a consumer and someone that knows the differences. As for what variety - grow something that produces well for you is the right one. Taste and shelf life is what consumers want most.
Old December 29, 2018   #17
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

For Tasty Red Tomatoes I grow Atkinson. It pumps them out.

MikeInCypress
Old December 31, 2018   #18
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I recommend only one round red tomato for marketing to the generally uninformed public, based entirely on my growing conditions. It's a hybrid, Supersonic. It has far outproduced any heirloom/OP that I've trialed. I doubt the uninformed would know the flavor might be just a tiny bit below that of the finest heirlooms.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2018   #19
PlainJane
Tomatovillian™

Eva Purple Ball has been very prolific for me.
PlainJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2018   #20
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

Thessaloniki, Red Barn and Aker's West Virginia are my favorite red. Round baseball to tennis ball size, blemish free. More high acid taste than sweet tasting.
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2018   #21
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomatoes

I have grown hundreds to find a handful that are suitable for farmers markets. The problem with nice red tomatoes is taste, they have to be exceptional taste wise, or you have nothing that others already don't have.
For an OP Mat-Su Express is a good one for several reasons. The size is decent, could be a touch bigger is some cases, they hold up fairly well, they have an interesting look, they produce great, they are fairly early, they produce well over a long season, and they can taste darn good. They are tops for reds in the OP category up here. I also grow Chapman, but they are just too big, that is the only complaint that is repeated.
For hybrids, Early Girl, Big Beef, and 4th of July are popular. I am doing more of my own hybrids for markets too, Rebel Yell x M-SE will be my go to for 2019, close to perfect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY1929.jpg (549.0 KB, 164 views)

Last edited by AKmark; December 31, 2018 at 02:40 PM.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2018   #22
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Big Beef f1 puts out very pretty tomatoes, blemish-free, with good taste, not a fussy plant.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2019   #23
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Over the years Big Beef was the most productive and dependable tomato I have ever grown and it fits what you are looking for. I would go with Arkansas Traveler because of the better taste and it still can be a very productive tomato that pumps out the tomatoes over a long season in the hot weather of the South. Last year I grew only one Arkansas Traveler and that plant put out more fruit than any other single plant in my garden. After the first couple of somewhat large fruits it consistently pumps out beautiful, medium/large, juicy, very tasty fruits that have a decent shelf life.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2019   #24
GardenofHope
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
I have grown hundreds to find a handful that are suitable for farmers markets. The problem with nice red tomatoes is taste, they have to be exceptional taste wise, or you have nothing that others already don't have.
For an OP Mat-Su Express is a good one for several reasons. The size is decent, could be a touch bigger is some cases, they hold up fairly well, they have an interesting look, they produce great, they are fairly early, they produce well over a long season, and they can taste darn good. They are tops for reds in the OP category up here. I also grow Chapman, but they are just too big, that is the only complaint that is repeated.
For hybrids, Early Girl, Big Beef, and 4th of July are popular. I am doing more of my own hybrids for markets too, Rebel Yell x M-SE will be my go to for 2019, close to perfect.
Mark,
That’s a pretty amazing setup. Do you sell or know of a seed source for Mat-Su Express or Rebel Yell? Both have been recommended but neither appears to be commercially available...
GardenofHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2019   #25
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenofHope View Post
Mark,
That’s a pretty amazing setup. Do you sell or know of a seed source for Mat-Su Express or Rebel Yell? Both have been recommended but neither appears to be commercially available...
To get seeds for both just go the the Wanted seed subforum here at Tville and ask,since I know that quite a few folks here at Tville who have grown both.

Posting in the Wanted forum means you aren't looking for anything back from anyone.

With fingers crossed for your success.

Carolyn
Old January 1, 2019   #26
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Interesting suggestions, but I notice one very important thing that is missing. Where will these plants be grown? I might make one set of recommendations for Michigan and another for TN. Also, it would be desirable to include a couple of longer season varieties to spread the production out a bit. Here are a few that do well in TN and AL.

Druzba - is a good indeterminate with high production of excellent flavored round red tomatoes

Lynnwood - is a very good oblate medium size tomato

Akers West Virginia - is an excellent robust flavored oblate tomato

Red Brandywine - cranks out a lot of tomatoes with good flavor

Muleteam - I grow Muleteam as a good all purpose slicer and canning tomato

Box Car Willie - very good production of large red tasty tomatoes

Homestead - Worth considering if determinate growth habit is desirable

Atkinson - a good choice for steady production of healthy fruit.

Hybrids:

Momotaro - can't say enough good about this sweet red medium size hybrid

Big Beef - hands down the most productive tomato in the SouthEast

Tasti-Lee - Have to give credit, flavor is pretty good

Amelia - Can be a big benefit if we have a lot of TSWV spread by thrips.

If you want to do a few pink tomatoes:

BBXEPB (Big Beef X Eva Purple Ball) is an excellent producer

Burgundy Traveler is a tad better than Arkansas Traveler
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote