Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old 6 Days Ago   #571
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Dan, I am just starting the first 17 (rrxrq F4)x blue beauty- F2. Since these are the first F2s I have grown out, just making sure...I plant many many seeds and cull mercilessly, right? Has anyone else grown this one yet?
hl2601 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #572
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl2601 View Post
Dan, I am just starting the first 17 (rrxrq F4)x blue beauty- F2. Since these are the first F2s I have grown out, just making sure...I plant many many seeds and cull mercilessly, right? Has anyone else grown this one yet?
Absolutely correct. Plant as many as you can and be ruthless. Only keep the very shortest, stockiest ones. Even those might get taller than you want. If you don't, they almost certainly will. When I micro hunt in F2s I end up with less than 5 plants out of 100 I originally started.

No one else has grown out that cross. I may have started a few before I realized how many I needed to start to find something worthwhile. I'll be interested in what you find. Hope I sent enough seed
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #573
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

You sent plenty. I have 120 going Will keep you posted.
Old 21 Hours Ago   #574
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Progress update-maybe this will help others growing out from the F2 stage. If anyone has any helpful pointers or guidance please chime in!

It is really helpful to be growing F2s directly next to other Micro multifloras that are almost stabilized (several micro varieties from F4 to F6s) to better compare desired heights.

Pic 1-on left,F4 seedlings where the height has been more or less stabilized, on right 156 seedlings of a different cross at F2. Both planted 1/7, Growth at 1 week. Time to start selecting for size
Pic 2 A bigger pic showing the same thing but just more of the larger F2 seedlings so you can see size variation
Pic 3- Trim time! snipped 101 seedlings at the base that were too tall.taller-using the F4s as a guide.
Pic 4- Now 49 seedlings left. Notice they are all approx the same height left side and right side. I will wait one more week then select out again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0722.jpg (316.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0719.jpg (309.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0726.jpg (322.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0725.jpg (296.8 KB, 29 views)
Old 16 Hours Ago   #575
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl2601 View Post
Progress update-maybe this will help others growing out from the F2 stage. If anyone has any helpful pointers or guidance please chime in!

It is really helpful to be growing F2s directly next to other Micro multifloras that are almost stabilized (several micro varieties from F4 to F6s) to better compare desired heights.

Pic 1-on left,F4 seedlings where the height has been more or less stabilized, on right 156 seedlings of a different cross at F2. Both planted 1/7, Growth at 1 week. Time to start selecting for size
Pic 2 A bigger pic showing the same thing but just more of the larger F2 seedlings so you can see size variation
Pic 3- Trim time! snipped 101 seedlings at the base that were too tall.taller-using the F4s as a guide.
Pic 4- Now 49 seedlings left. Notice they are all approx the same height left side and right side. I will wait one more week then select out again.
Thank you. You explained that much better than I ever have. When you pot them up, keep 2-3 times as many as you finally want then wait longer than you normally would for final selection. Some will still stretch out more than you want.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote