Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 3, 2020   #1
JoParrott

Default potatoes in containers

Hoping for some input--for years I have been growing potatoes in various containers with pretty fair harvests. I always grow Yukon Gold, but in the last 2 years have added small ones, like Pinto Rose & Russian Banana. I always read that I should start the tubers in about 6" of soil in the container, and add more soil or mulch as the tops get about 6" above the soil. But I never have any potatoes form up above the original tuber- so why not just plant a little deeper? All the babies are below the parent. Any advice will be welcomed ! Thanks- Jo in the PNW where we didn't really have winter !
Old May 29, 2020   #2
kr222
Tomatovillian™

As with tomatoes, there are indeterminate types of potatoes. Indeterminates will continue to form potatoes as you build the soil up around the foliage. Determinates won't. With determinates, you should still make sure to cover the tops of any exposed potatoes so they don't green. So make sure you start with an INDETERMINATE variety if you want them to root all along the stems.

Last edited by kr222; May 29, 2020 at 05:23 PM.
kr222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2020   #3
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

I tried the trash bag method one year.
You start off with an empty trash bag with just a little soil.
As the plant grows you pull up the sides and keep adding more dirt.
Drawback is, you need a ton of soil.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote