Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 26, 2011   #11
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Well it is now the end of August and I can give some of the results of the bleach treatment. I treated every spot I was going to plant in one bed (by the way one of the worst beds in my garden for fusarium) with about a gallon and a half of bleach solution ( 6 ounces to the gallon). I waited for two days after the treatment before setting out the seedlings. I planted 16 plants on June 5 in very hot weather and over the next couple of months I lost 2 plants and have one that is sick from it now. Usually in plant outs in June or July I lose between 50 and 80% in the first couple of weeks from either fusarium or bacterial wilt.

My conclusion is that this treatment has been a major help in reducing fusarium at least for a couple of months. I have used it on most of my plantings since then and the results are about the same. Nearly all of the plants that were set out in untreated spots died within a month. Since the heat has been so bad this summer I would say this is more than a good result. Last year I planted around 25 plants in June and lost all but 5 or 6 before any fruit developed and only 3 were productive before succumbing to fusarium.

I will try it on another bed in the spring to see if it works again. I'm hoping it will be even more effective in the spring when the fusarium is not as virulent.

Ami, the Tarasenko 6 and Barlow Jap both produced a few fruit from the plants that I set out in the treated soil, whereas I lost all of them in the spring to fusarium even though they were treated with Biotamax and Root Sheild. Maybe I'll try using something like Root Sheild and using it after the soil has been treated. The bleach should be totally gone in a few hours or more but I'll wait a day or so to be sure. It might give those organisms a better chance to multiply in the sterile soil before having to compete with others.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote