Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 10, 2011   #1
cushman350
Tomatovillian™

Default Look who's coming to dinner.

Spider mites are a yearly problem and I've tried malathon, horticultural oils and soaps. I don't
like their results. I researched the SM and found that you can disrupt their happy hot and
dry home by humidifing it. I have misters left over from a yard umbrella than was used in
cooling experiments that failed but, misting is very effect for womeone who is home and has the time to mount a blitz of misting every hour for 5 or 10 minutes to get a good coating of dew, top and bottom on all plants, then an hour or two later again, all day untila few hours before
sunset to give the water time to evaporate before nightfall. It's working. The mites are
completely bamboozled. This is only good if you are early in detecting the little buggers.
If they have gotten their second hatch accomplished, it's too late for green measures.
You may have to get out the big guns. But for the last two years I have been successful with early detection and wrecking their party.

Anyone else here into biological environmental warfare with the buggers? Spider mites are getting more resistant to poisons, I don't want to help them.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mistifying (Medium).JPG (219.6 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0252 (Small).JPG (88.5 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by cushman350; April 10, 2011 at 04:15 PM.
cushman350 is offline   Reply With Quote