Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old April 29, 2012   #46
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Well, if it works for you, then I would keep using it. I am just saying I preferred the Veggie & Herb. In fact, I took the Ultimate back and got another bag of the Veggie & Herb.

Last edited by Farmette; April 30, 2012 at 02:47 PM. Reason: BX/Veggie & Herb
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2012   #47
kurt
Tomatovillian™

If you go thru the whole Pro Mix site they do have a seed propagation mix,
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2012   #48
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Farmette.

Where did you find the BX ??

I know you are near to me and the only place I found on their web site was up around Oshkosh or Neenah. Somewhere around Milwaukee would be easier for me. I did find that Ultimate stuff at my Menards.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2012   #49
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
I did find that Ultimate stuff at my Menards.
Carol - I just called my Menards and asked them if they might happen to have the BX even though it wasn't on their shelf. They guy didn't have it but he did take my name and number. He's going to call Premier Tech and see if they can get the BX in for me.

kurt - I have to correct myself. Yes their map shows dots for distributors in the states, which is what I was looking at and this is what made me think they only had it at a distributor 4 hours away from me in Des Moines. Frankly, this didn't make sense to me because I mean, really, this IS Iowa! Farms everywhere! Anyway, they do have a different retailer locator tool which lists many more places. I got to this by going to their home page, click on "Growing Mixes", click on "find a retailer", click on "modify" and then put in the state. It took a while to come up for me but it gave me a much longer list of dealers to call. I noticed it is worth calling them though as, for example, all the Menards around here are listed but they don't have the BX in stock.

Last edited by babice; April 29, 2012 at 05:47 PM. Reason: spelling
babice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2012   #50
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Farmette.

Where did you find the BX ??

I know you are near to me and the only place I found on their web site was up around Oshkosh or Neenah. Somewhere around Milwaukee would be easier for me. I did find that Ultimate stuff at my Menards.

Carol
Carol,
I've been buying the compressed BX (brown) bales at Menards in Franklin (where Hales Corners Speedway track used to be).
Dutch
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2012   #51
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Dutch. I know the place. I'll be down there next week. Or maybe I'll have to ask my Menards if they can get it.

What's in the brown bales ? What makes it dif from the orange bales. The BX pics I've seen are orange.

When we were first married, when the wind was right, summer evenings we could hear the racing at the track. And where we lived in Franklin was at least 3.5 miles away as the crow flies.

Carol
Old April 29, 2012   #52
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Carol:
I found the BX in the white with green lettering at Steins in Germantown. They didn't know that they had it...it was in the indoor plant section. I had bought Promix there last yr, a larger bale, but I don't remember what partricular product.
Old April 29, 2012   #53
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thanks Dutch. I know the place. I'll be down there next week. Or maybe I'll have to ask my Menards if they can get it.

What's in the brown bales ? What makes it dif from the orange bales. The BX pics I've seen are orange.

When we were first married, when the wind was right, summer evenings we could hear the racing at the track. And where we lived in Franklin was at least 3.5 miles away as the crow flies.

Carol
I just looked at one of the bales and they are orange. I guess I must have had one of those brain farts.
Dutch
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2012   #54
augiedog55
Tomatovillian™

pro mix also makes bx in black 3.8 cf bails. i bought 4 this spring
augiedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2012   #55
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Pro Mix has a whole lot of different colored bales. Here is a page with some of them http://www.pthorticulture.com/en/gro...cultural-crop/

Even the BX has several formulas with different beneficials. From what I've read on several forums, the orange bale just marked BX is what most are using.

I have a Steins near me too so I'll have to check there. I also have a HD near me I haven't had a chance to check yet.

I found lately that my local greenhouse supplier hasn't been doing us any favors with their pricing. I'm supposedly getting "wholesale" prices on supplies, yet I can get some things for less at Menards or Fleet Farm. That's partly why I'm looking for other sources for things.

Thanks everyone,
Carol
Old April 30, 2012   #56
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Carol:
I don't know if you are looking for medium to pot up or ? Liesener's Soils in Jackson has mixes that might be suitable for your needs. I have used them for raised beds, etc. I've often wondered if one added perlite to one of the mixes how that would work for potting up or container gardening. For the raised beds, we've picked up truckloads.

http://liesenersoils.com/products/soil-blends.html

Chris
Old April 30, 2012   #57
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Ray used to work out of Jackson, only about a mile from Liesners. I got a dump load of something I used for my blends from them about 10 years ago and got a noxious weed in with the stuff that I just can't get rid of. It's all over the farm now.

I'm mainly looking at the BX because of the benificials. I've had an off and on damping off problem that is better now but not completely gone. From what others have said, the BX is good for a starter and up to planting out.

I'm also getting some Actinovate that should be delivered tomorrow. I'm hoping 1 or the other or both will help so I don't lose my new-to-me stuff again.

Carol
Old April 30, 2012   #58
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Well, so far I haven't had the weed problem from them, but I agree Promix or something similar is the best choice. I use the Actinovate too when planting out and as a foliar spray.
Old April 30, 2012   #59
kurt
Tomatovillian™

With the pro mix distributor down here in S Fl.they do not carry all of the products listed.So after the first year I knew to pre-order my supplys from them a month ahead of my Sept-March season.I start with the seed propagation mix,then I ordered both the mixes that have the two beneficials(fungas)mixed in.Since we have unusual rainfalls down here the pro mix products far outweigh the other mixes I have tried.When the season ends I use the rootball shaken out leftovers(I grow all containers)and use them as filler in the lawn.Greenist lawn on the block.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2012   #60
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
With the pro mix distributor down here in S Fl.they do not carry all of the products listed.So after the first year I knew to pre-order my supplys from them a month ahead of my Sept-March season.I start with the seed propagation mix,then I ordered both the mixes that have the two beneficials(fungas)mixed in.Since we have unusual rainfalls down here the pro mix products far outweigh the other mixes I have tried.When the season ends I use the rootball shaken out leftovers(I grow all containers)and use them as filler in the lawn.Greenist lawn on the block.
Wow - all good ideas Kurt. I will put it on my calendar to preorder next year!
babice is offline   Reply With Quote