Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 24, 2016   #46
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

What a week... Disease hit my plants very suddenly a few days ago.

I didn't take pictures because I panicked too much and pruned the leaves off instead of going back and search for my smartphone to take pictures.

I went out one evening and saw a few brownish spots on the lower leaves, I didn't think much about it but the next morning it had spread. It was on 4 plants and 2 were so heavily diseased that I had to prune them "naked", only the upper third of the leaves was left. I sprayed them in the evening with copper and now I haven't seen any new spots in 2 days. I decided to let some suckers grow out so the plants will get new healthy leaves....
Sadly one plant got heavy sunburn on its now exposed fruits and I had to remove them

White Oxheart had some BER again So far not one single fruit that doesn't get it.

BUT there are good news too I got some harvest and most of my plants are loaded with green fruits and look great plus no new cases of BER on any other variety!

Todays harvest

Barry's Crazy Cherry surprised me, still VERY mild but, there is now some taste. And it is pleasant. I gave a few away to a friend and he liked them very much.

Old Yellow Candy Stripe has an acidic bite but I quite like it as a contrast to sweeter tomatoes.

Kremser Perle was mild but it was the first fruit.

Candy Sweet Icicle is sweetish and pleasant, but could use some more flavor. It has a very very thick skin that I don't like.

Henderson's Pink Ponderosa has still no taste at all.

With Trefle du Togo all I can say is, that I don't like the taste. It is more acidic than sweet and just has something that I can't describe and I don't like.

Keep in mind that this is the very beginning of the season here and we had bad weather!
Merediana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2016   #47
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merediana View Post

Henderson's Pink Ponderosa has still no taste at all.
You can talk nicely to eat, feed it well, give it the best spot in the garden, provide Santorini weather, and Henderson's Pink Ponderosa will still taste like cardboard pulp.

The good part is the sauce pot does not discriminate.

Great job with your container plants!!!
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2016   #48
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

Haha and they told me it would be a great tasting variety
Old July 26, 2016   #49
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

Kellogg's Breakfast

Very good flavor, sweet and balanced, very meaty and juicy. I like! More than I've expected for the first tomato of this plant.
Old July 28, 2016   #50
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

More fruit pics

Next Kellogg's Breakfast is going to ripen and I can't wait...

Orange Russian, this plant is loaded with green fruits, it's amazing.

Candy Sweet Icicle, super productive too

Barry's Crazy Cherry

Striped Cavern, very healthy plant, not the most productive

Michael Polan, not developping any new buds after just 2 trusses

Old Yellow Candy Stripe. It's SO tart. Never had such a tart variety...

Kremser Perle (the red one), very productive

Henderson's Pink Ponderosa

Cuor di Bue Giant Reif Red, was more productive last year
Old July 28, 2016   #51
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Looking great!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2016   #52
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

Thanks

Just a little summary of the season so far, so I've a record about how my tomatoes tasted and I think some of you might be interested to read it

Just a reminder, plant out date here is mid may.

No ripe fruit yet from:

Striped Cavern (they'll be ripe in a few days)
Cuor di Bue Giant Reif Red (I'll pick the first fruit tomorrow)
Northern Lights (first fruits got sunburned because I had to remove leaves)
Michael Polan (painfully slow)
White Oxheart (BER disaster)

The ones I've tasted so far:

Red Currant (I like it as a snack and I give away plants to neighbours with children)
Kellogg's Breakfast (sooo delicious)
Amethyst Cream Cherry (great flavor)
Orange Russian 117 (good but first fruits were a bit mild)
Barry's Crazy Cherry (ok, not much flavor but quite pleasant)
Candy Sweet Icicle (ok, flavor is sweetish-nice but not strong, I don't like the thick skin)
Trefle du Togo (did not like it at all)
Henderson's Pink Ponderosa (bland, not pleasant)
Kremser Perle (quite good flavor, heavy producer)
Old Yellow Candy Stripe (extremly acidic but not unpleasant, hard to describe, I don't like acidic tomatoes but the taste still is quite nice?)

So far Kellogg's Breakfast & Amethyst Cream Cherry are the only ones who are on the "must grow again" list. Probably OR117 too, I'll have to wait how the next fruits taste.

Not growing again Trefle du Togo and HPP, I know you shouldn't judge after one season but these two were really unpleasant for me so I won't give them another chance.
I had red currant now for 2 seasons but next season I want to try another snack variety. With Kremser Perle I'm not sure either, it is very reliable in my climate but maybe I want to try something different too.
With Old Yellow Candy Stripe, the acidity really burns my tongue so that one has to go too. Tatiana's Tomatobase says "sweet mild flavor" But I've a feeling like their might be several versions of this variety as some talk about a pink blush (mine stay pale yellow and rather rott than change color) and while mine and Tatianas fruits are oblate, some pictures online show round fruits...
Oh and obviously, I'll only grow my BER disaster White Oxheart again if it does produce THE best tasting tomatoes that I've ever had. If it has the best tasting tomatoes then I'll find it an in ground spot in my garden...

I'll do another summary later in the season

Non tomato plants:

Spider mites are trying to kill all my eggplants, ground cherries and peppers, sprayed them twice now, plants are still looking bad and I don't know if it is worth fighting for fruits that now have been treated heavily with pesticides
It's the eggplants that attracted those little pests, they were the first who got them and you can see how it spread from there Next season I'll find them another spot where they can't spread the pest on my other plants.
Old July 29, 2016   #53
charline
Tomatovillian™

a good snacking variety , much better than red currant, is Petit Moineau. may be you try this one next season...?
charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2016   #54
charline
Tomatovillian™

just a hint for OR117: let it fully ripen until you see many red streaks. Then the flavor is there. For me it is the very best tomato ever. I never ever will be without it....
charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2016   #55
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Beautiful pictures,thanks.

And I just wanted to again say that this is not one variety

Cuor di Bue Giant Reif Red, was more productive last year

Cuore di Bui is one variety

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Cuore_Di_Bue

And Reif Red Heart is a different variety with a different background,but yes,both from Italy originally

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Reif_Red_Heart

I've grown both and they aren't the same.

Carolyn
Old July 30, 2016   #56
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

I know, you've already mentioned that Seems like the seller messed up the names and it's non of the two linked varieties.
It's a short, stocky plant, not growing above 1,20m, not wispy with huge red tomatoes, not pear shaped, rarely heart shaped, usually inbetween heart and oblate shaped.

I honestly think that even though it's not an offical variety, I'll keep it But next season I'll probably try Japanese Oxheart.

Yes, this time I'll try OR117 when it es really ripe

Petit Moineau might be an option next year
Old July 30, 2016   #57
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by charline View Post
just a hint for OR117: let it fully ripen until you see many red streaks. Then the flavor is there. For me it is the very best tomato ever. I never ever will be without it....
+1 Tastes like a mango cousin to me.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2016   #58
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

OR117 now has some pink fruits on it and I'll try one tomorrow

All my friends and neighbours seem to love Barry's Crazy Cherry while I still think that it is nothing special. At least I've LOTS of fruit to give away.

I had some Striped Cavern today, filled with brown rice, onions, zucchini & smoked tofu, I really enjoyed it but I needed 4 tomatoes to fill me up. Why on earth are those stuffers so tiny?

I pulled Trefle du Togo. It had some spider mites but the main reason was that it just doesn't taste good. Gave it a few people to try it - all came to the same conclusion. I don't need a tomato that nobody wants to eat...
Old August 4, 2016   #59
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

Aaaaand the weather is cold and rainy again Summer 2016 just doesn't exist. My tomatoes have a really hard time developping some kind of tomato taste without sunshine...

Had the OR117 in my tomato sauce along with Kremser Perle and it was sweet and fruity with some heat from one of my hot peppers...

Am I crazy for already planning 2017?

I already bought the following seeds:

-Wherokowhai
-Banksia Queen
-Uluru Ochre
-Boronia
-Summertime Green
-Summertime Gold
-Auria
-Primrose Gage

Plus I'm thinking about:

-Sungold F1
-Black Cherry
-Lucid Gem
-Picary

So I've 3 more free spots. I might use one for Kremser Perle and one for a tiny snacking variety. And maybe Sunrise Bumblebee or Blush for the third spot.

Oh and for the rest of the garden I'll plant less zucchinis next year Last year I had hardly any on two plants (wrong variety) this year I've 4 plants and 2 of them produce like crazy
And I'll need some baby eggplants. And more ground cherries. And probably just 2 hot pepper plants with not tooo much heat and some nice bell peppers instead. Oh and I'll try melons again, I've 2 Minnesota Midget plants, sadly they didn't do well this season but finally set 2 fruits each, maybe next year we'll have a summer and I'll get some melons.

Any thoughts about my tomato choice?
Old August 16, 2016   #60
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

New taste test round

Candy Sweet Icicle improved sooo much and went from good to delicious. Like super sweet and fruity but not bland at all. I still dont like the thick skin but it makes the tomato crack resistant and you can leave it on the wine when ripe till you need it. Oh and one of the best producers. Everybody loves them.

Orange Russian 117 stays bland, no matter how long I let it hang Seems like it needs better weather...

Kremser Perle. So reliable, good taste, lots of tomatoes. Nothing stunning but obviously a tomato developped for our growing conditions here.

Barry's Crazy Cherry: Everybody liked it, I still think it is very very mild and I'd prefer more taste. Great hang time.

Old Yellow Candystripe: Still acidic but I can imagin that some people would like it as the flavour itself is quite good. I'm just not into acidic tomatoes.

Kellogg's Breakfast: So sad.. The first fruits were so tasty and now I don't like them at all, heavily splitted (not talking about a few splits, there is hardly anything left from the fruit when you cut them out) and between bland and too dry?!

Amethyst Cream Cherry: Started out great but at the moment it's a 50:50 chance, some fruits are tasty others not so much...

Michael Polan is weird, some fruits turned yellow but stayed very firm? I tried 2 and they didn't taste unripe but had no taste at all??? Probably picked way to early... I thought they are ripe when they are yellow with green stripes..