Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old November 17, 2016   #16
MrSalvage
Tomatovillian™

That's a really nice one compared to the junk one over on harbor freight...

Thanks Salt!
MrSalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2016   #17
MrSalvage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
The draught is horrible here. Norris Lake is lower than I have ever seen it. Can't launch the boat any more. All the launches are dry to the end of the concrete ramps. The soil in my garden is cracker box dry and hard as concrete. I haven't had any rain since sometime back in July. I keep the bird bath full for my feathered buddies. Lots of critters are coming out of the woods looking for water and food. I've seen more possums, raccoons, skunks, squirrels, rabbits, deer, coyotes, and the occasional bear in my front yard than all the previous 8 years combined.
It's certainly been dry here as well all summer. Strange too as it seemed like it would never stop raining in April/May. I couldn't even get anything planted till mid May or so. Then I had to stop watering the garden at the beginning of September over concerns of running out of water for the house. My girl says that our well is right where three springs meet or something like that. As for me i don't know that for-sure only in what she was told by her daddy and grand daddy. I let the toms die off myself worried about the water. Heck i had 10 1/2' cherries and they certainly would have been 12 ft' by first frost had i kept up with them.

I hope they can get all the fires under control, what a mess that is. I know when the great dismal swap was on fire. We were getting a lot of the smoke / smell here and man was it bad.

I hope rains come soon and replenish us all! Most important is to be mindful & careful over there.
Old November 17, 2016   #18
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Find yourself a couple of those 250-300 gallon plastic tanks and catch rainwater. If the well looks like it's getting low, you can save your garden by watering individual plants (at least some of them). I start filling mine up in mid spring as long as I don't expect a really extended hard freeze.

I usually have my garden cut and burned and tilled by this time of the year, but we're in a burn ban till further notice. Today, we were able to clear our lungs of the smoke for a few hours.

I had 7 coyotes in my back yard last night. Two didn't survive the meeting. They've begun to run in packs so that they can take down bigger game - including cattle. I wish I had a scope with Infra Red capability. They took down a cow that was calving and killed and ate both (back at the back end of the pasture). Now we have the whole herd in the pasture just behind the house. Now, it's a 24/7 job of guarding the herd. My "pet" groundhogs are all MIA's as of this afternoon.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Last edited by ContainerTed; November 17, 2016 at 07:07 PM.
ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2016   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I'm reading.
Can you find a used trijicon scope.
They work great for low light.
They have a great warranty and it doesn't matter if it doesn't work if you get a used one they will fix it.
Fantastic night scopes I have used them and highly recommend them.
I dont remember what it was but the reticles glowed in the dark if you could see the critter you could shoot it
One cow is worth the price of the scope.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2016   #20
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Find yourself a couple of those 250-300 gallon plastic tanks and catch rainwater. If the well looks like it's getting low, you can save your garden by watering individual plants (at least some of them). I start filling mine up in mid spring as long as I don't expect a really extended hard freeze.

I usually have my garden cut and burned and tilled by this time of the year, but we're in a burn ban till further notice. Today, we were able to clear our lungs of the smoke for a few hours.

I had 7 coyotes in my back yard last night. Two didn't survive the meeting. They've begun to run in packs so that they can take down bigger game - including cattle. I wish I had a scope with Infra Red capability. They took down a cow that was calving and killed and ate both (back at the back end of the pasture). Now we have the whole herd in the pasture just behind the house. Now, it's a 24/7 job of guarding the herd. My "pet" groundhogs are all MIA's as of this afternoon.
Very sad. I hope that things improve for you soon.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2016   #21
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Wow, I don't think my family has ever lost a fully grown cow to a coyote. Calves are hard to tell. Usually by the time we see them walking around, they are ok. Sometimes an old heifer will die giving birth. I see coyotes all the time, but I only see them eating cows that are already dead.

I was picking blackberries last summer and saw a pile of coyote dung. The coyote had apparently eaten a turtle, shell and all. That pile of poop looked like it hurt a lot coming out. Ouch.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2016   #22
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Default Coyote i

Quote:

I was visiting my best bud in Nebraska few years back. I was using his 22 auto and he had shotgun. He called called in bunch of coyotes with crying rabbit sound . They came over the hill and we unloaded on em. Didn't part a hair. Never saw him so mad!
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2016   #23
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

You're Welcome MrSalvage.

After a very long day today, I read the replies here. Yes, coyotes take down healthy grown cows. I watched a pack do that to a cow off the highway near Bono, Texas about 9 years ago. They were really bad in the area.

I have noticed that since the big cats have moved into our area - we never hear coyotes anymore. Of course, there are also less smaller pets here too.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2016   #24
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I'm leaving all my supports standing over the winter, and plan to add more. I want to have everything built to support the plants before spring arrives. I keep failing to keep up with the plants when I try to build the trellises as they grow.

I've dug plenty of t-posts out with a shovel. It just takes a little patience.
Same, part of why I had such crop failures.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2016   #25
MrSalvage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I have noticed that since the big cats have moved into our area - we never hear coyotes anymore. Of course, there are also less smaller pets here too.

Big Cat's? Are you kidding? North of Dallas as well?
Old November 18, 2016   #26
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

We live about 45 miles south of Forth Worth and about 65 miles southwest of Dallas. But, Yes big cats are here.
Old November 18, 2016   #27
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

We have then here too and alligators and bears.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2016   #28
MrSalvage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
We live about 45 miles south of Forth Worth and about 65 miles southwest of Dallas. But, Yes big cats are here.
Welp something else to call my son about. Heck a lady in Maryland was attacked by a bear the other day. We didn't live far from where it happened. When i go out at night around here I always take my porter cable florescent with me. I even light up the porch first with my foot on the door. Darn bear...
Old November 18, 2016   #29
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
You're Welcome MrSalvage.

After a very long day today, I read the replies here. Yes, coyotes take down healthy grown cows. I watched a pack do that to a cow off the highway near Bono, Texas about 9 years ago. They were really bad in the area.

Hey, Salt. Load up a few of those cats and drop them here in my back yard. No problem at all. I'll make them welcome with a large helping of coyote meat.

I think I'd rather have them than the wild canines I'm dealing with now.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2016   #30
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Hey, Salt. Load up a few of those cats and drop them here in my back yard. No problem at all. I'll make them welcome with a large helping of coyote meat.

I think I'd rather have them than the wild canines I'm dealing with now.
Umm...err here kitty-kitty ...Hey! Stop that, I'm still using that leg!