Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 1, 2017   #16
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

A heat mat is definitely worth the cost but some people have used Christmas lights under a piece of glass. Heating pads and such can generate too much heat and it is uneven if you have to keep turning it on and off. The Christmas lights give a low and even heat. Just make sure that they are not pinched by the shelf on top of them and that they have some airflow to prevent overheating.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2017   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugworth View Post
I have an outlet box wired with 2 outlets in series.I buy old food warming trays at goodwill and plug 2 into that so they are on 60v instead of 120v.Food warming trays are way too hot plugged directly into 120v.I also have a box with a lamp dimmer/outlet that I plug the food warming trays into and just dial up the output voltage until the trays are just warm enough.

How on earth are you getting 60 volts.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2017   #18
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I broke down and purchased a seed matt last year. Finally.
I used to try different things
for the warmth. I cleared out a metal cabinet (with doors) and put a desk lamp inside. That was the safest solution. Some alternative rigging can be a fire hazard.

I start mine in 1020 trays but the bed/pillow/bra idea is hilarious for the filter/baggie method. Maybe just lay them out all under your bottom sheet and under your mattress pad. gets pretty toasty under there.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2017   #19
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I like the low-tech ideas, especially if they are fun. Imagine putting them under the mattress pad and forgetting them? It would give a new meaning to a "tomato bed"

Christmas lights are another idea that would work, but hubby says that the strand type, that we have, wouldn't produce enough heat.

I don't want to create a fire hazard or to cremate my seedlings

I'm leaning towards the hot water inside a cooler idea, and maybe putting them on the windowsill on sunny days.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2017   #20
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
How on earth are you getting 60 volts.
I've been wondering that too.

----

A few years ago I tried to kill two birds with one stone and bought a therapeutic heat mat at the drug store. It has 5 heat setting -- all of them too high for seeds. Not even insulation would cut down the heat level when it finally stabilized.

The creaky old cat loved it, though, when I put it under her fleece bed instead of the seed tray.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2017   #21
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I either place them on top of my florescent light that I use for my fish tank, or use the oven method with the light on inside for warmth. Hmm, Iv'e been starting seeds for over 35 years, perhaps it's time to splurge on the heat mat.
Old March 1, 2017   #22
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Patti, do you crack the oven door when starting seeds or leave it closed?

Linda
Old March 1, 2017   #23
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

I find the top of the hot water tank also has some heat available for raising dough or making kefir. Why not seeds too?
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2017   #24
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Why i like the 1020 1/2 trays or what i call 1010's. Easier to move around and will fit
down into containers or crates. Or in the oven. I have a therapeutic heating pad that
i used a few years ago. Set it into a cooler and put the start tray on a cookie sheet on top so
the heat was well above by 14 inches or so for just some bottom radiant heat.
(that was pretty in the living room).
My new oven's light will only come on when it is cooking...

My heat matt is on an upside down 1020 empty tray, that is on blocks to raise it up to
proper height for a tom seedling tray. Underneath are potted up pepper seedlings for warmth...
working doubled-duty. Radiant/ambient heat.

Last edited by oakley; March 1, 2017 at 11:58 AM.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2017   #25
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post

Linda
I did that when I had my Viking. Manual switch so just leave the door closed.

Just to see what you actually get, though, bundle a thermometer in with the seeds. Medical probably has too narrow range, but just about anything else will do fine, even a candy thermometer.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2017   #26
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

My hot water tank is so well insulated that I doubt there's much heat coming off it. Ditto the fridge! I always used to put my seeds on top of the fridge, as that's what I had read.

I can try the heating pad (raised up) in a cooler too. I'd leave it in the basement out of sight .

The oven light would be so simple (as long as there's a note taped to the knob warning us not to turn it on before checking first ). I have a meat thermometer that I could use to check the temp and will attempt a dry run before risking it.

Linda
Old March 1, 2017   #27
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post

Linda
My oven is electric, not gas, and yes I do crack the door a little. If I leave it a little open on it's own, it is too much. So, I just put a wooden spoon in the door to leave it open about 2 inches. It stays about 84 degrees on the top shelf and 78 on the bottom shelf when both shelves are full with flats of seeds.

I just take the knob off when I have seeds in the oven. That way nobody will turn it on and cook my seeds.
Old March 1, 2017   #28
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
My oven is electric, not gas, and yes I do crack the door a little. If I leave it a little open on it's own, it is too much. So, I just put a wooden spoon in the door to leave it open about 2 inches. It stays about 84 degrees on the top shelf and 78 on the bottom shelf when both shelves are full with flats of seeds.

I just take the knob off when I have seeds in the oven. That way nobody will turn it on and cook my seeds.
And then the husband would come along and preheat the oven for some chicken wings or something without looking and then... there would be a homicide...
so I have a heat mat.
lol
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2017   #29
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Oh thank you Patti! Just what I needed to know! Great idea to remove the knob

Too funny Karen! Heat Mat not Homicide

Linda
Old March 1, 2017   #30