Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old January 21, 2015   #16
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

No problem Carol I figured that's what you meant.

Natural, the for the tip, I will try those as well.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2015   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
Yes, I guess I meant the black poly type. Not the corrugated drain type.

Sometimes I have problems finding the right words these days.

Carol
Carol what you are talking about is HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) pipe.
It is a thermoplastic and can be heated to bend and welded.

If your PVC clamps are a little too tight you can use a heat gun to heat them up so they can be opened a wee bit.
Do this slowly and after they are where you want them cool them with water.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2015   #18
FLRedHeart
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Carol what you are talking about is HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) pipe.
It is a thermoplastic and can be heated to bend and welded.

If your PVC clamps are a little too tight you can use a heat gun to heat them up so they can be opened a wee bit.
Do this slowly and after they are where you want them cool them with water.
Confused here with the black poly pipe. I also tried flexible black poly drip line mains, just slit them up the side. They are made from LLDPE (at least the good ones), not HDPE, and it didn't work. I never got how some people made a go of it but others say it does. Could someone link to a specific pipe at Lowes or HD?

I'll try the heat gun makes sense, thanks. If that works, no sense in buying PVC clamps at least to use over 3/4" PVC, unless the seller specifically says they don't release plasticizer.
FLRedHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2015   #19
frankbenjones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Has anyone used clamps like these? http://http://www.greenhousemegastor...pvc-fittings_1
If so how effective and where did you buy them?

I need some for a coldframe but apparently not all of these clamps are made from the same plastic and some dont work. Thanks!
I use them with 1/2 emt and 3/4 emt for my hoop houses. They work great. At first I bought a few from Johnny's Seeds and from Grow Organic but when I decided to buy a bunch of them I got them direct from snapclamps.com.

For me they hold up really well, even with the wind but I put a good number on over my 6mil plastic and bring the plastic down over my 12" high beds. The hoops are about 18" apart. The 1/2 camps can fit tight on 1/2 emt and can be hard to remove so I often use the 3/4 inch clamps on 1/2 emt for easy access on the sides and ends of the hoop houses. I will reinforce with 1/2 clamps if it's going to get really windy.
frankbenjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2015   #20
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Frank, I hadn't seen that site before. I see they also have metal reinforcement clamps which would eliminate any possibility of them coming lose. Pretty sweet.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2015   #21
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Thanks Frank, I hadn't seen that site before. I see they also have metal reinforcement clamps which would eliminate any possibility of them coming lose. Pretty sweet.
I spent a lot of time yesterday looking a a ton of sites trying to get information on these things and ran across the site also.
Here is the link posted above.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.eXY&cad=rja

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2015   #22
JoeGrow
Tomatovillian™

Default Clamps

The clamps the Natural pictured work great. You can find them at flea markets for

$1 IF you are looking for an relatively inexpensive green (or hoop) house, consider one of the single car portable garages they sell. We bought one, and just covered it with plastic instead of the canvas that comes with it. It is 12 X 20 and we got if for around $300. You have to do a bit of custom work on the ends. We bought used storm doors for $10 and just framed in the ends. Just something to consider
JoeGrow is offline   Reply With Quote