Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old August 5, 2012   #1
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Default Have you started fall garden 2012?

As my summer garden winds down thanks to disease, it leaves me a lot of space to start some cool weather stuff, though it's almost 100 degrees here today. Indoors I've started:

Perfection Savoy cabbage
Southern Giant Curled mustard
Green Glaze collards
Black Tuscan kale
Seven Top turnips
Fordhook Giant chard

Those will go out into the garden in the next couple of weeks and I'll just keep on going with lettuce, spinach, beets, carrots, etc. all the way into November with shallots. Anybody else starting their fall/winter seeds now? Or planning it anyway?
Old August 5, 2012   #2
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

It was overcast most of the day yesterday, in the 60s and 70s. The blessing of a cooler summer is that my summer garden is just starting to produce a lot of tomatoes and beans, and the corn is young. Usually everything peaks in early Sept. I've yet to pick the first eggplant.

This is the first year I've bought or made enough seed-starting mix and set up my seed-starting area so that I can start seeds all season. It seems as soon as I've planted something, I get ideas on what to start next. I got a late start (May), but I've had lots of seedlings growing ever since. I've already started some brussels sprouts. These will be the first ones I've grown from seed, and they're just about ready to plant. The only dilemma is where to plant them. I rent garden space, and I'm not sure which garden to plant them in, so that complicates my planning.

I planted my Red Ruby and Golden Beet seedlings yesterday, tucked into odd corners. I grew up eating borscht (which my mother called watermelon soup) but have only started really enjoying beets on their own in the past year, I think because I grew some. I've always eaten some beets -- grated raw in salads, or roasted, or boiled -- but since I've started growing my own I find I'm looking forward to them. I don't like chard or spinach so much, but I'll see if that changes when I harvest the chard plant that volunteered in my garden this year.

I grow perennial kale year-round, so I'm all set for brassicas and leafy greens (hmm, so I better start some in my other gardens, just in case...). It's still my favorite kale, and I've grown red russian, lacinato (black/tuscan/dino), rainbow lacinato, white russian, and probably a few others. I eat kale every day!

I'm thinking about starting some onions from seed. In the past I've bought 6-packs of seedlings -- and divided them into 30-80 plants. I usually don't plant garlic until I've cleared out the summer crops, which usually ends up being after the first frost at the end of November.

Last edited by habitat_gardener; August 5, 2012 at 07:02 PM.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2012   #3
halleone
Tomatovillian™

About the last week in July, I put out snap peas that I had started inside around 2 weeks prior; I used shade cloth for a full week, as we are in the 105 + range. Then I started (inside) arugula, broccoli raab, and 2 different lettuce varieties. Once they were up, they went outside into filtered shade, and the bok choy got a start, and is now waiting with the others for a bit of a cool(er) spell before I put them out.

I decided to try zuchhini (did I spell that right?) direct seeded and all of the seeds came up quickly; I can't grow them in the spring, they get attacked by squash vine borer and squash bugs both. So far not a squash varmint in sight, I guess they went to enjoy the neighbors' garden for a change. I won't miss them one bit.

And I am already dreaming up what I want to try in next years garden - is this an obsession or what. Too bad the garden catalogs don't start coming in until January/February!
halleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2012   #4
beatpoet
Tomatovillian™

I started some spinach recently, bloomsdale long standing spinach to be exact. Thinking about starting some broccoli or carrots too now that I've got some more space. Lost a couple tomato plants due to disease so that has freed up some space on the balcony. This will be my first year starting a fall crop.

Last edited by beatpoet; August 5, 2012 at 08:49 PM.
beatpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2012   #5
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

I spent the day cleaning out spent cukes, beans, corn and beets. I have brussels sprouts ready to transplant and am starting broccolli. I will sow more beets, and some late beans.

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2012   #6
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

After my garlic was harvested in early July, I direct seeded chard, turnips, spinach, carrots, beats, peas, fennel, brussels sprouts, and a second crop of zucchini. My spring zucchini hasn't done much if anything, and I've only gotten one so far. The second sowing is looking much happier than the first plant, so I think I'm going to yank the spring plants and figure out what I can put in their place this late in the game.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2012   #7
plainolebill
Tomatovillian™

We've put in carrots, beets, Red Russian kale, parsnips, Kweik lettuce and upland cress. Will put in another crop of Kweik for overwintering and some radishes in September. Plant garlic in October.
plainolebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2012   #8
b54red
Tomatovillian™

It is still way too hot for fall crops down here but not too early to start seeds for many of them. My problem has been keeping the seedlings alive since damping off has been a real problem lately with the near daily rain and cloudy weather creating impossibly high humidity in my greenhouse.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2012   #9
rockhound
Tomatovillian™

I started some cuttings from my tomatoes about a month ago for a late crop. Noticed yesterday as I watered, I have flower buds forming on them. So I may get ripe fruit before frost but at least I'll have a flush of green ones.
rockhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2012   #10
kath
Tomatovillian™

I've got the last succession of corn, zucchini, cucumber, cilantro and bean plants growing as well as some new cilantro, lettuce, beets and carrots but haven't planted spinach or garlic yet. Still have to transplant the broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower starts.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2012   #11
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

It's been raining here all week. I have compost I need to add to my beds but won't get to it today. I need to pull out my field peas. They're done. Then I can start planting some of the seedlings that can take some heat.
Old August 17, 2012   #12
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

My garden has gone from almost empty to almost full again! Sowed another round of green beans, carrots, beets, and set out the cabbage, mustard, chard, collards, kale and turnips. Second round of parsley is about to go out, I sacrificed my other plants to the caterpillars but have two cans of Dipel ready now. I have started lettuce inside. Glad to have something going on in the garden, even if it's not tomatoes. Sweet potatoes look good. Okra, eggplant and peppers are still doing well.
Old September 6, 2012   #13
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Wow! Just came in from the garden. Considering I'm in transition here, I am really pleased. I picked several White Beauty eggplant, lots of okra and Romano beans. More of all that one the way, with French filet beans, Ashe County pimento, Anaheims, Melrose peppers. All my fall stuff is doing really well. A little bit of cabbage worm damage but not too bad. I dusted with Dipel again. I see significant growth in collards, cabbage, mustard, kale and turnips. They must like the hot days and cooler nights. We are in the 70's at night now. Beets and carrots growing slowly. Lettuces and chard are still small but just went out. Spinach will be next.

How is your garden doing?
Old September 6, 2012   #14
kath
Tomatovillian™

Glad to hear your stuff is doing really well, shellybean. My late zukes and cukes were pretty much a bust this year only giving a few fruits before the bugs and disease took them down. The last corn patch is looking good with pollination over and ears forming. Beets are about ready to pick/thin and the carrots and cilantro are finally taking off and looking happy. We're harvesting the late bush beans now that I planted in case the pole beans gave out- but they didn't so we're giving huge amounts away daily- DH can't bear to pull some plants and since he does the picking... The lettuce and spinach are getting munched down as fast as they grow by something that's wreaking havoc when I'm not around- just planted more yesterday in hopes of success. The brassica plants also have taken off despite heavy insect attack- have to spray more Bt if we're not getting hit with any more showers today. We're still getting lots of tomatoes and peppers and the butternuts are starting to look ready to harvest so I'm happy about that, too. We're getting a bigger apple harvest this year than ever before and they're really starting to drop- been making apple crisp and canning applesauce so far. Sweet potato vines are sprawling all over but I haven't peeked yet to see how they're coming along.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2012   #15
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I have several diffeernt sprouting broccolis growing with maturity dates from November to May, 2 varieties of Brussel Sprouts, leeks etc , parsnips which O prefer overwinted and some salsify and Scorzonera which hopefull will be OK. I have some cold weather carrots in too . Salad Greens I grow in tubs through the winter. Jerusalam Artichokes are huge so am confident about them. Spinch I will be doing shortly agin and also will be starting my broad beans to overwinter.
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote