Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old February 20, 2014   #1
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Default Ready for Spring! Where the heck is it?

My garden is 99% cleaned out. The only thing left from fall planting is a small bed of shallots. Topped all my beds with 3 inches of mushroom compost today. I have three flats of lettuce seedlings in the laundry room and loads of pea and beet seeds ready to go. All I need now is some spring time weather! We've had a much warmer week here and it's just a tease, I know. I am itching to plant outside but I'll sit on my hands a bit longer. Next week's weather is still up in the air but there could be more snow. I have several flats of peppers, eggplant, tomatoes and herbs going, as well, but I'm content to keep them inside until the first of April. But I want to get my cool weather stuff in. Just impatient. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Old February 21, 2014   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

Nope, you're sure not the only one.Even with our much-welcomed above-freezing temps the last few days there's still a LOT of snow cover out there. It's not looking good for getting those peas in by St. Patrick's Day, but you never know...

(sad, dreary, snowy garden)

kath
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3452.jpg (157 Bytes, 157 views)
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2014   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Starting to see a green haze in the trees by the river.
We may get a light freeze on the 28th but nothing horrible.
The possible freeze forecast was for the Austin viewing area.
This entails Mason county down to where I live 25 miles south east of Austin.
There is a huge difference in the weather from there to here.
Even 12 miles north of me is different if I freeze at my house everybody freezes.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2014   #4
Tom A To
Tomatovillian™

We've had no Winter, another day in the seventies <yawn>, you need some Spring. Trade'ya.

Audios, Tomatoville. Posted my final post and time to move on.
Tom A To is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2014   #5
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

I have already started 3 50 cell seed flats with many different greens, Brussels sprouts, cabbage and beets. The arugula and bok choy have sprouted. All my peppers are waiting to germinate in wet paper towels in baggies. Yesterday I planted some radishes and bunching onions. I just couldn't resist getting something in the ground!

We are looking at some beautiful weather coming up!
pdxwindjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2014   #6
kath
Tomatovillian™

I'm trying to stay contented watching my onions, parsley and celery grow...but it's getting really hard not to at least start the peppers.

kath
Old February 21, 2014   #7
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

only thing we are seeing here is white.

we are in the middle of a winter storm with blizzard like conditions. several inches fell overnight, and its still snowing. the wind is making it very difficult to see. plow trucks have been by a couple times to keep the road open, but the wind drifts it in pretty quick.
we have spent about 3 hours blowing out the driveway to keep the drifts down. it will be an ongoing job until the wind dies down later tonight.
we won't be going anywhere today.
plan is to bake some bread, and get some inside work done.

spring is sooooo far away.

keith in the great white north
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2014   #8
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

well, we gave up on trying to keep the drive way open. by the time we got to one end, the wind would just fill up the other end by the time we got back. so, we are hunkered down, until the storm passes, and we will deal with the situation then.
bread is in the oven, and the butter is out.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2014   #9
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxkeith View Post
bread is in the oven, and the butter is out.

keith
Yummm! Things like this are what make long winters not such a bad thing.

kath
Old February 21, 2014   #10
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

My Son in Wyoming says that "Spring is just a vicious rumor" passed around by rumor mongers living in Florida and Southern California! And I should have added "And Mothers who live on the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico!" He has started all his really hot peppers and he says he will "owe his soul" to the Power Compay keeping the greenhouse warm. I was always going to try to figure out a way to rent the greenhouse out as a heated "efficiency" studio but it never worked out! No toilet, no running water and you had to sleep on a wooden shelf...what more could one ask?

Last edited by brokenbar; February 21, 2014 at 09:34 PM.
brokenbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2014   #11
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
I'm trying to stay contented watching my onions, parsley and celery grow...but it's getting really hard not to at least start the peppers.

kath

I'm starting peppers this weekend Kath. Spring is on its way!

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2014   #12
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

The white has turned gray and the forecast calls for 0°F overnight a week from now.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2014   #13
Bragg

Just in from the Canadian prairies...coldest recorded winter in over 20 years. Calling for low -20's (Celsius) for next 3 days, then up to a balmy -11C.

March, in like a lion...hoping it goes out like a lamb.
Old February 28, 2014   #14
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelRidin View Post
I'm starting peppers this weekend Kath. Spring is on its way!
I gave up and started peppers, brassicas and more celery this week. Tomorrow I'm starting Sungold and maybe Hays' because it was the earliest slicer. I'm going to hold off on the rest of the tomatoes because I have to have someone babysit them for the week after Easter and I don't want the plants to be too big at that point for several reasons.

Anyway, since the weather gal says that today is the LAST day of 'meteorological winter', I guess we'll just pretend that next week's winter storm isn't approaching.

kath
Old February 28, 2014   #15
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Well, we tied the record for our coldest Feb. 28 today. My kids are now on spring break but it doesn't feel like spring. The weekend looks better. I see buds on the forsythia. A few daffodils are blooming and the redbuds are starting to show some color. Since I started all my lettuce indoors, I really don't want to move it out until I know it's safe. Somehow wasting seed in soil that's too cool seems better than putting out transplants I've already had growing for a month or so. I'm more attached to baby lettuces than seeds, I guess.

Went to the garden center today to get some house plants. Not only did they have cabbage, broccoli, lettuce transplants, but they also had tomato seedlings!! I don't plan to start hardening mine off until the first week of April! I wonder what they're going to do with all these little plants?