Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 9, 2007   #1
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Default I feel left out

You guys are still talking tomatoes and picking and eating etc.
I feel left out
My garden has been tilled under for a week and my cover crop is up already.
This is the first year that my garden wrapped up that quick. My fault for not starting a spray program earlier in the year.
BTW: My area is supposed to be wet next year. Any tomatoes like wet weather? LOL!

CECIL

Last edited by cecilsgarden1958; September 10, 2007 at 05:02 AM.
cecilsgarden1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2007   #2
dice
Tomatovillian™

Maybe fishing season is still open. You could
stop and browse any farmer's markets you see
on the way there and back.
Old September 9, 2007   #3
captnkirk
Tomatovillian™

cecil what was it that did your maters in?
captnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2007   #4
Hilde
Tomatovillian™

Oh, you should have come up here for Saturday, we would have loved to have you! Perhaps next year?

Hilde
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2007   #5
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

"what was it that did your maters in?"

Drought, heat, humidity, lack of preparation, no spray program.

It really didn't matter about the plants, I had no tomatoes left to pick. I lost tons of blossoms that never polliated because of weather conditions. I had nothing left to pick.

I still have a Stupice plant in the bale and 2 cherry plants and a Matina, in the yard; that are putting out a couple tomatoes, but will soon be gone also. The plants in bale and bags didn't get early blight until really late,so they still live. The 1 cherry and 1 Matina at lattce are far worse, but sill kicking.

CECIL
Old September 10, 2007   #6
Rena
Tomatovillian™

Maybe plant some in containers as a back up.... My poor family would not be able to live with me if I had a season like yours Planning for next year might help your feelings!
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2007   #7
neoguy
Tomatovillian™

Cecil,

I'm going to try growing a few small plants indoors this fall for a Holiday harvest. The thread dcarch started on growing in soda pop planters is really impressive.

I've started seeds of Lime Green Salad and Tiny Tiger. The LGS seedlings look strong and have their first true leaves, the Tiny Tiger look very weak. Even if we don't get fruit to eat it'll feel like we're gardening.
neoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2007   #8
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilsgarden1958 View Post
----I feel left out ---------
CECIL
What zone are you in?
I am in NY Z6.

Things are still going great. Looking at all the fruits and all the blossoms on the plants, I may have a huge load of fried green tomatoes when first frost comes.

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2007   #9
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Rena, I still have one each Stupce, Matina, Husky Cherry, Sweet Baby Girl, and a Husky Gold I forgot to mention. All in the yard.

dcarch, I am in zone 6, since they re-did the zones. swPA

They say there is a silver lining to every cloud, I guess mine it the great jump my cover crop is getting.

Carolyn said a while back that she has never known me to have a good year. She's right. Well, I'm planning on one next year. You wait and see. Already planning it. It will definitely include Bush Big Boy this time.

CECIL
Old September 12, 2007   #10
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

HA!!! I'm not feelin the love! Cecil, I just don't see the dedication from you! You should have come up to our tastefest.... penguingardener came up from Pittsburgh and Tomatoaddict came up from OH...

Almost all my plants are still doing well here. You can come pick some if you like. A bunch cracked from a downpour we had last night but many are still loaded. One Cherokee Bi-Color F2 must have 5 lbs of ripe fruits on the plant. I quit picking them because squirrels are now coming up onto my front porch and feasting on Dr. Lyles, Elbe, Gregori's Altai, Grandpa Charlies, Red Brandywines, etc. They are safer on the plants out back than the front porch.
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2007   #11
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
HA!!! I'm not feelin the love! Cecil, I just don't see the dedication from you! You should have come up to our tastefest.... penguingardener came up from Pittsburgh and Tomatoaddict came up from OH...

Almost all my plants are still doing well here. You can come pick some if you like. A bunch cracked from a downpour we had last night but many are still loaded. One Cherokee Bi-Color F2 must have 5 lbs of ripe fruits on the plant. I quit picking them because squirrels are now coming up onto my front porch and feasting on Dr. Lyles, Elbe, Gregori's Altai, Grandpa Charlies, Red Brandywines, etc. They are safer on the plants out back than the front porch.
Hey, don't feel slighted, Korney. I don't even visit my sister. I hate to drive out of my zone. My zone is a straight course from my house to work and back. I had to get my hair cut yesterday and had to talk my self into going the 1 mile the opposite direction. I don't use interstates and never go anywhere I have never been. :-D

CECIL-who would love a tomatotaste!
Old September 12, 2007   #12
penguingardener
Tomatovillian™

I'm in swPA too, my Amish Paste seem to be going through a 2nd wave, red pears are still green (late start) and husky cherry on their last legs. I did retire a lot last month though: Bloody Butcher, Cherokee Purple, Patio Tomato and Mountain Princess.

The drive did take its toll on us, maybe because we made a day-trip out of it, but it was an awesome party! I'm definitely looking forward to next year, even if it means taking a day or two off from work beforehand.

penguingardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2007   #13
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguingardener View Post
I'm in swPA too, my Amish Paste seem to be going through a 2nd wave, red pears are still green (late start) and husky cherry on their last legs. I did retire a lot last month though: Bloody Butcher, Cherokee Purple, Patio Tomato and Mountain Princess.

The drive did take its toll on us, maybe because we made a day-trip out of it, but it was an awesome party! I'm definitely looking forward to next year, even if it means taking a day or two off from work beforehand.

What do you think of Husky Cherry? I was pleasantly surprised. I don't like my cherry tomatoes real sweet and I thoght ths was just right. It is still producing, but I forgot to pick yesterday. Hope they didn't split.

CECIL
Old September 13, 2007   #14
penguingardener
Tomatovillian™

I was pleasantly surprised as well. For me, they were _really_ tart in July, but come August the flavor seemed to balance more. They already produced better than I expected in containers, but I really only got tasters as my daughter ate whatever she could on a daily basis.

If you don't like sweet, maybe try Matt's Wild Cherry. I grew that last year and it was kinda insane.

I only started noticing varieties last year, prior, I would just grow whatever I acquired from my local nursery, farmers market or home depot/lowes.

I got my husky cherry plants from Trax, how about you?
penguingardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2007   #15
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguingardener View Post
If you don't like sweet, maybe try Matt's Wild Cherry. I grew that last year and it was kinda insane.

I got my husky cherry plants from Trax, how about you?
Matt's Wild Cherry? Thanks, I wil remember that

I got my Husky Cherry from Walmart or a road side stand nearby. It will be easy to find again.

CECIL