Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 5, 2019   #31
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Default Finally !!!

It seems like it took forever...
But my new rail system is running and complete. A total of 16 feet ,5x5 fence post sliced and ready to grow lettuce. I made a plan and kept at it until I was satisfied with how it worked. Now I'm happy with the outcome. I have used parts of it to grow some lettuce and seedlings already, but now it's full on lettuce production. It has now opened more space to be able to move around more comfortably. That is what makes me happy. And my peppers just germinated. Yeah !!!
Aloha all,
Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0558.JPG (135.4 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0559.JPG (129.5 KB, 245 views)
Tomzhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2019   #32
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Aloha from Texas.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2020   #33
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Aloha all,
I hope that everyone is doing ok. We have faced many changes, none like our present situation. My sister had sent me a bunch of seeds last year. I have plenty of coco and time to focus on making my garden the way I dream of. So for me , I am calling it a Victory garden...we'll get through this !!!
Show us your victories and stay safe.
Aloha,
Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190722_100731.jpg (96.0 KB, 212 views)
Old April 17, 2020   #34
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

To all,
It seems my gardening time has been extended. I'm thankful to have a distraction, during this horrible time. Stay positive and share a smile. Be kind and remember to be humble. Aloha !!!
Old April 18, 2020   #35
tanstaafl72555
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzhawaii View Post
To all,
........ Be kind and remember to be humble. Aloha !!!
Aloha. I cannot imagine what being confined to an apt must be like. Though not quite "in the country" I live on the very edges of a SMALL (pop 14,000) town and have a large yard to go puttering about.

Except for having no income flow, and no place to go out to eat, and the constant barrage of "virus news" on the web (we have no TV) my life has not been so dramatically rearranged.

I admire people like yourself who can take a trying situation and not wind up strangling those around them. I especially admire your fortitude and creative genius in devising growing schemes in the midst of all this.

For a giggle, your encouragement to "be humble" brought to mind this observation from Ben Franklin on pride and humility. I got a chuckle from it.
In reality, there is, perhaps, no one of our natural passions so hard to subdue as pride. Disguise it, struggle with it, beat it down, stifle it, mortify it as much as one pleases, it is still alive, and will every now and then peep out and show itself; you will see it, perhaps, often in this history; for, even if I could conceive that I had compleatly overcome it, I should probably be proud of my humility.
best,
tans
tanstaafl72555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2020   #36
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Tans,
Thanks for your really kind words. Good luck and Aloha !!!
Old April 20, 2020   #37
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Hi Tom, what a wonderful post, it is so good to hear your positive vibes in a bad time and you balcony garden is thriving. I had a year in that situation and I managed with great difficulty I should add, to grow quite a bit.

I try to be positive and I guess I could be considered a bit humble. I certainly am not materialistic and I like all poeple,

Great to say Hi, stay safe..XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2020   #38
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Aloha Jeannine,
I am really glad to see your post and hope all is good in your life. And yes it can frustrating with a tiny space. However, we are without winter here and can pick and choose when to grow certain things and not others. I do have a constant laugh at people who say that I am so lucky to live in Hawaii. My reply is that it wasn't luck that got me here, it was a plane. But yes there was a whole lot of luck and a great wife too. I cannot believe how fast lettuce grows. Incredible !!! Well, Thank you for reading my goofy thread and please be safe. Aloha, Tom
Old April 27, 2020   #39
bower
Tomatovillian™

Aloha Tom,
Glad to hear you are staying safe and happy, and greening up the balcony. We gardeners are lucky no matter where we are, we will always have a little green friend sprouting up to keep us company and bring good cheer. Stay well!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2020   #40
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Default Happy can wait...just be safe !

Aloha all,
I am excited to report that my plants have been producing some tasty treats. The tomatoes seem to be smaller and quick to ripen. Daikon radish are outgrowing my totes, so they are a right angle shape. Lettuce has been fantastic. 3 types and now adding a pak choi. It's all good.
I've been content to stay home , look after my garden and go back to making shell jewelry. I have reconnected with one of my favorite hobbies. It was wonderful to go through my collection after maybe 5 years of not seeing what I had. Now I want to go to the beach to look for more treasures. But I'm not ready to chance it yet. Besides the winter big waves bring better shells. So it's use what is available in my tiny corner of the world(for now). Stay safe everyone and Alooooha !!!
Old June 1, 2020   #41
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

That's great to hear, Tom!

Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2020   #42
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Default This happened during "stay at home"

My lanai garden went nutz...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2368.jpg (207.5 KB, 65 views)
Old July 20, 2020   #43
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful!
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2020   #44
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Aloha,
I decided to take down almost all of my garden, due to Hurricane Douglas. We had some wind and almost no rain. So now it's "go again". I am cloning my Amish paste and Big Cheef. My lettuce is sprouting already and waiting for U.H. peppers. Now I have room to explore more options.
Enjoy