Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old March 26, 2019   #1
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Default Enjoya pepper / stripped sweet bell pepper

I know people tried to grow seed from the Enjoya pepper, which resulted in all yellow peppers. Has anyone actually tried to tissue culture the stem? I know someone wrote a blog post about the biotech behind it.

Presumably, if you were to tissue culture the one part of the plant always left with the fruit (which is usually still green/live), you'd get a true clone of the parent, which you could further propagate with cuttings. You probably could never sell the plant for profit short of royalty fees or licensing or whatever. But putting aside the legal stuff, I wonder if anyone has even attempted to see if it could be replicated.

It's been a while since I did a tissue culture of plants, but it's on my mind recently since I did Apple rootstocks.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2019   #2
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Actually, I went to check the patent office. The patent was initially rejected. It's being reconsidered after more information disclosure, not sure if that means public disclosure though. Pub number: 20180042153. It doesn't have an actual patent number since it's still being reconsidered.

Last edited by Scooty; March 26, 2019 at 09:23 PM. Reason: links
Old March 27, 2019   #3
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I had a sneaky feeling, from what I read, that Enjoya was from tissue culture rather than being an F1. I don't see why it couldn't be done from a piece of stem.

What did you grow from T.C. Scooty? Decades ago, the first re-blooming daylily called Stella d'Oro hit the news and I was beyond thrilled to discover that somebody near me used tissue culture to propagate them. I bought some plants from him, and those darned plants took forever to get to any size .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2019   #4
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
I had a sneaky feeling, from what I read, that Enjoya was from tissue culture rather than being an F1. I don't see why it couldn't be done from a piece of stem.

What did you grow from T.C. Scooty? Decades ago, the first re-blooming daylily called Stella d'Oro hit the news and I was beyond thrilled to discover that somebody near me used tissue culture to propagate them. I bought some plants from him, and those darned plants took forever to get to any size .

Linda
Apple rootstocks

I've seen good and bad TC'ed plants/trees. Often the growth media and process has a huge effect on how fast they get to size. I know avid orchid growers seem to be all into TC these days. As a thought experiment though, I thought it would be interesting to try to see if you could grow a true to type Enjoya pepper plant. Half the nursery these days seem to be growing from TC too. Especially for rarer fare like Honeyberries.

There has to be someone at TMV that regularly performs tissue cultures....

Last edited by Scooty; March 27, 2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old March 27, 2019   #5
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

I'm still currently growing F5 Enjoya, they are still yellow, but they are good!
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2019   #6
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
I'm still currently growing F5 Enjoya, they are still yellow, but they are good!
I think Barb_FL told me a while back the grow outs are still pretty good without the stripes, but I'm thinking they'd be great if we could get the stripes on our own plantings.
Old March 26, 2023   #7
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

https://the-biologist-is-in.blogspot...ya-pepper.html
Is there any interesting result in F8 or later?

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2023   #8
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Interesting piece of detective work on the blog, thanks for posting it, Andrey! I must have missed the article the first time around. I never grew Enjoya out beyond the disappointing M2 yellows (M=mine: at least that's how I've used it when saving dubious seed from an unknown source, tickled to see M instead of F in the article as well.) While choosing this year's pepper seeds, I found I still have quite a few of the original seeds saved from the striped grocery store pepper tucked away in my box. I grew out the nice big yellows, but a bit too long season for me. Has anyone noticed if the striped Enjoyas are still showing up in the markets anywhere?

ddsack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2023   #9
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

We had them in our grocery chain stores last year during winter-spring time, but not this year...

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote