Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 4, 2020   #1
dshreter
Tomatovillian™

Default Powdery Mildew

I seem to have powdery mildew on one of the tomato plants in my garden. From the start, the plant has had a consistently purple stem making me think it was never very healthy, and now has the mildew.

I’m willing to try and save the plant by treating it, but wondering if this is a case where it should really just be destroyed to avoid more problems since I have about 25 plants. Any experience with this? With good care of my other plants, is having one impacted plant likely to spread powdery mildew, or is it OK to do my best to save this one?
dshreter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2020   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Regular applications of a copper spray work as a deterrent but if it doesn't work a quick thorough spray with diluted bleach spray usually takes care of the problem and it can be applied numerous times as long as it is done very early or very late in the day. It is the only way to fend off this type of problem in times of frequent rain that I have found to be effective. Read the thread on the diluted bleach spray before attempting to use it as concentrations too strong can damage plants and too weak and it doesn't work well.

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.ph...t=bleach+spray

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote