Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old June 3, 2012   #1
daddylove306
Tomatovillian™

Default Gin trash

I have 3 raised beds 12 inches deep and are completely filled with gin trash, and I never have to fertilize and very rarely have to water. I was just curious if anyone else did this.
daddylove306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2012   #2
rocan
Tomatovillian™

Sorry if I'm a little slow, but what is "gin trash"? Just wondering.
rocan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2012   #3
daddylove306
Tomatovillian™

All of the waste products that come from ginning cotton. Cotton gins produce tons of it each year and it is extremely fertile once it ages for a year of so.
Old June 3, 2012   #4
rocan
Tomatovillian™

Okay thanks. I know what gin is and I know what trash is,but had not heard that term before (I'm pretty far north of cotton country).
rocan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2012   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

We tried to get some the past couple of years but all the gins around here return it to the farmers. I assume they spread it back on their fields.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2012   #6
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

When I was a kid my family used it on all of our gardens (we called it gin trailings) in Oklahoma, even slid down the piles on cardboard sleds just for fun.. I now live and have for about 40years in Arizona and Pima cotton is a big crop here.. I tried a few years ago to get some trailings from a local gin and they wouldn't give it to me... they said all the cotton here uses herbicides now to drop the leaves so the mechanized harvesters can strip the bolls off the stalks... so I got a bag full of seeds from one of the fields and just grow it as a green manure crop in my garden. Each year I save enough seed to plant the next year. I do buy 50lb bags of cottonseed meal from a local feed store and use it in rows when I plant vegetables .. its about 7-2-2 and doesn't burn, in my heat.
Old June 6, 2012   #7
daddylove306
Tomatovillian™

We use all the same herbicides on our cotton here and I have absolutely no problems using the gin trash. The herbicides obviously don't carry over, it is common practice around here to use gin trash because our dirt is so sandy.
Old June 7, 2012   #8
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, I was wondering about the carry over. They use it back on the fields and it doesn't seem to bother their next years crop.... but since I didn't know if it would bother vegetables I just started growing my own.
Old March 26, 2013   #9
barnetmill
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddylove306 View Post
We use all the same herbicides on our cotton here and I have absolutely no problems using the gin trash. The herbicides obviously don't carry over, it is common practice around here to use gin trash because our dirt is so sandy.
I know this is an old thread, but it seems to be a worthwhile one for me since cotton gin trash is available under varying conditions from the mill. One in my locale demands that you pull it away in their trailers. I will look in to getting somethe trash since I want to build up my poor soil. The accumulation of residial pesticides is the major concern and I will research it a bit more and probably use it in an infrequent manner. Arsenic was once used in my area.
barnetmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2013   #10
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I just bought a bag of "composted cotton burrs." I haven't opened it yet, but it smells. The store owner I got it from said that the last brand he had stunk so bad that he thought an animal had died on the property. He was crawling through culverts and under the building looking for a corpse. He finally figured out the smell after his employees handled the bags - they stunk up the store for the rest of the day.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote