Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 4, 2016   #1
garyc1234
Tomatovillian™

Default Longest your same tomato plant kept producing?

I live in the Bay Area in Northern California where the temperatures are pretty moderate all year round. I've noticed that some of my tomato plants that pretty much "died" are actually giving out new stems and are looking green again. (I've attached a picture with one example.) I'm thinking of trying an experiment to see how long some of these plants last and whether they will give another productive crop. With the temperatures in the Bay area, we might not have a frost at all, so it's possible these plants might be completely fine.

I'm just curious to see if anyone else has tried this (in one of those regions where frost is rare or inside a greenhouse). This would be the same tomato plant with the same original root system and not a new planting via a sucker from the original one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2949.jpg (487.5 KB, 151 views)
garyc1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2016   #2
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Gary, I'm in similar position. Think I'll pull mine and replant. I believe that's what Gerardo does and since this is my first year I should probably follow the experts.Let me know how yours tun out. Could get interesting! Best of luck, Jimbo
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2016   #3
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

I'd like to hear more about the "pull and replant" technique vs. the "let them regrow" technique. Seems to me that a plant with an established root system will have a decided advantage over a sprout.

Of course, with replanting you get to select a new mix of varieties...

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2016   #4
rhoder551
Tomatovillian™

I'm surprised yours look so good. I'm in Marin and all my plants are dead will be very soon. I'm taking them all out, I don't think tomatoes will survive our winters, just a tad too cold.
rhoder551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2016   #5
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
I'd like to hear more about the "pull and replant" technique vs. the "let them regrow" technique. Seems to me that a plant with an established root system will have a decided advantage over a sprout.

Dmforcier, I believe your correct on both counts. I only had 4 varietys this year and although I liked them all i think I'd like to move on by trying at least 12 to 15 new ones. I enjoy your wit and humor very much! If your posting I'm reading! Jimbo
Old November 5, 2016   #6
schill93
Tomatovillian™

I hate to mention the name, but I have a Celebrity plant out back that I thought was toast, and actually turned the water off for about ten days, until I saw blossoms forming. So I turned the water back on, and now I have about 30 medium size green tomatoes hanging on it. I hope some will turn before temperatures get too low.
schill93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2016   #7
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbotomateo View Post
I enjoy your wit and humor very much! If your posting I'm reading!
Thanks, Jimbo. I'm flattered. But it won't go to my head since I have a reality check. Minnie is bored to sleep by this whole enterprise, and is passed out with her head on the keyboard.

Every potential megalomaniac should be required to have a cat.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2016   #8
peppero
Tomatovillian™

My sun sugar plants are still producing and are about 10 ft long with many blooms. They do well every year.

Jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2016   #9
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post

Although I have had quite a few plants produce tomatoes for 8 months I now prefer to pull and replant.

The reason for this is that the lower trusses generally produce the most and the largest fruit. The lower trusses also set a higher percentage of fruit than the ones much further up the stem. This is especially important down here in the late summer and fall when fruit set can be very sparse due to the heat, disease pressure and pests.

I now try to remove my plants when they are around 5 to 6 months old. When they get that big they are much harder to manage and take care of compared to younger plants. It is much easier to spray and tie up the younger plants and they don't require as much pruning which is hard work in the heat.

I am now picking fruit only from the plants set out in late May(these are about finished), June and July. Right now the bulk of the tomatoes I am getting off my vines are coming from the plants set out in late July.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2016   #10
MarianneW
Tomatovillian™

For me, 18 months. It was a volunteer from my compost. No frost protection, no special treatment. It finally died this summer after a week of +115f temps, I don't blame it. I tried to save seeds and from those I've got one plant going now. It's some determinate red that tastes amazing when roasted.
MarianneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2016   #11
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

What about cloning some of the plants that started growing again? Pretty easy to do.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2016   #12
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Although I have had quite a few plants produce tomatoes for 8 months I now prefer to pull and replant.

The reason for this is that the lower trusses generally produce the most and the largest fruit. The lower trusses also set a higher percentage of fruit than the ones much further up the stem. This is especially important down here in the late summer and fall when fruit set can be very sparse due to the heat, disease pressure and pests.

I now try to remove my plants when they are around 5 to 6 months old. When they get that big they are much harder to manage and take care of compared to younger plants. It is much easier to spray and tie up the younger plants and they don't require as much pruning which is hard work in the heat.

I am now picking fruit only from the plants set out in late May(these are about finished), June and July. Right now the bulk of the tomatoes I am getting off my vines are coming from the plants set out in late July.

Bill
Old November 5, 2016   #13
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Pulling over here boss! Dang, I had just decided to keep em too. Thanks bill for insight.
Old November 5, 2016   #14
b54red
Tomatovillian™

It finally dawned on me after decades of growing tomatoes that the best production came from the lower trusses. I can't believe it took me so long to see the obvious. With our long season and high disease pressure the amount of work in maintaining old vines is so obviously not the smartest thing to do. As I've said before I learn best the hard way.

If you have room to plant multiple beds of tomatoes it only makes sense to stagger the planting dates so you are constantly bringing on new high producing plants. The obvious exceptions to this method are if you don't have the space or if you are looking to have maximum production in the shortest time possible for canning or preserving. Since I have the room the only other consideration is preserving my harvest so my largest planting is my first or second one so we have plenty of tomatoes to put up. The later plantings which naturally in our climate are usually less productive are to provide us with a good supply of vine ripened fresh tomatoes to enjoy til the first hard freeze.
I start pulling the vines out of the old beds when their production drops off dramatically and they become a lot of work to maintain. By that time some of my later plantings are coming on strong. This allows me more time to prepare those beds for fall planting.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2016   #15
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

You can't beat experience! Thanks bill, now I can come up with better game plan this year! At my age I don't need to stumble along trying to learn to grow correctly when you guys have so much knowledge that is so generously shared.Jimbo