Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 19, 2018   #1
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Default Skunks in the greenhouse

A family of skunks was spotted nearby in the past weeks. Now my potted plants in the greenhouse are getting dug into. Skunk-sized holes and no damage to the plants. I haven't seen any feces anywhere. It's just pro mix and osmocote in the pots, no organic fertilizers. I'm not sure exactly what I have that they like. Maybe I need to treat my water with mosquito dunks, if they are after some sort of larvae.

From what I read, skunks are repelled by strong odors, ironically enough. I dusted all my plants with cayenne pepper, black pepper, chile powder, and garlic powder. My greenhouse smells like a nice dry rub for BBQ. I don't see any new damage today, so it worked at least the first night.

If anyone has battled skunks, I welcome all suggestions and advice.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2018   #2
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

actually... pee! human urine is a major repellent to them. if it isn't where anyone would be offended by the smell just pour ( or your plumbing works better than mine) or urinate around your greenhouse.
Old July 19, 2018   #3
bower
Tomatovillian™

We don't have skunks here so I'm no help to you, but I gotta say I love the idea of dusting with a BBQ dry rub! Reminds me of my experiments with cinnamon back in the day... didn't work but it sure smelled nice!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2018   #4
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

you gotta go in there and scare the bejabbers out of them. bang a couple trash can lids together. yell real loud. the more noise the better.

yah, that oughta do it.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2018   #5
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Cole, this might help? Skunks are nocturnal and don't like light. Coyotes, dogs, and wolves eat them - so a dog that barks a lot might help. They cannot stand the smell of ammonia is what I've been told, and after an internet search, they say to soak rags in ammonia. Another online thing I read was to use dog urine... (Where to buy dog urine?), but that would go along with having a barking dog. A young black lab would probably do the trick.

Other than those ideas, a 20 gauge - If legal there would also take care of the problem.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote