Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 4, 2008   #1
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Default Leaf Footed Bug Nymphs

As I was tying up my jungle today I noticed a large congregation of these nymphs. (little orange bodied critters) They were on my Stump of the World and I sure want to run them off nefore they mature to the bane of my crop - THE Leaf Footed Bug. I will use chemicals and have used thiodan in the past.

Help!!!!!

MikeInCypress
Old May 4, 2008   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I cant help you much but I saw a spider friend of mine in the tomato patch today.
He had his fangs sunk up in a stink bug.
He was a little green crab spider.
Good going little buddy.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008   #3
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Mike, I sometimes use Ortho bug-b-gone (aka bifenthrin). Just be careful what you pick up when purchasing, as Ortho has at least a couple "bug-b-gone" products and they are not all the same, nor are they all approved for use on edibles. Read the label and make sure you get the bifenthrin liquid. Also, do not spray it when temps exceed 82 or 83 per instructions. This means this time of yr, you will likely either need to use it in the morning or late in the day.

It will knock 'em dead (both mature bugs and nymphs). Does an excellent job. I tend to use it a few times earlier in the season every couple or three weeks or so, so that the population can't get a foothold and multiply in the first place. I've sprayed once a couple of weeks ago, may do so again next week. Last year, I had maybe 2-3 fruits that showed any visible signs of damage (minor), that that was in a cool/productive long season yr with over 160 tomato plants. It sure does help.

Surround (finely milled clay, which is mixed with water, then sprayed to form a repellent coating on the plants) will also do a good job at keeping them at bay, if something organic is your preference. However, if you grow more than say, 20-30 plants, Surround may be impractical. I do use it occasionally on peppers and cucurbits, though. It does a great job of keeping the aphids away from the peppers, and the stem borers and cuke beetles away from the cucurbits. Surround also makes hardening off of tomato and other seedlings faster and easier.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008   #4
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I used the bifenthrin liquid a couple of times early on as Suze mentions. Im knocking on wood when I say this but I havent seen a stinkbug yet this season. I know they will arrive but they are later this year for some reason. I also havent seen one worm of any kind on any of my tomato plants. Saw my first one of the year yesterday on my Diva cukes. The last time I sprayed was around 3 weeks ago, just a light spraying and then also sprayed the perimeter, alley with tall weeds and such.
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008   #5
bryanccfshr
Tomatovillian™

I just started using Bonide garden dust. Since I used it leaf footed bugs have not been seen on my tomatos. it's a copper and rotenone product and I was having a leafhopper problem when I started to use it. 2 weeks was to long to wait for neem on those and stinkbugs and leaf footed bugs.

The good news is since I have used this product any leaf footed bug I have discovered on the property has been slow and easy to kill by hand. I used the spray method by mixing a tablespoon of posder per quart of liquid.
Old May 10, 2008   #6
duajones
Tomatovillian™

saw my first nymphs yesterday on Beefmaster and a stink bug on my beans. Hope that doesnt mean an infestation is on the way
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2008   #7
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Depends if you killed them all.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote