Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old January 13, 2013   #1
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
And that is exactly what I did. I tried two different sheet pans of them with different seasonings. While I can't say I really liked them, I also can't say they tasted as bad as when they were cooked with other methods. I will admit they were much sweeter baked on sheet pans. The deciding factor was as always, my wife. She still couldn't stand the taste. Everything we cook is cooked for two. If only one of the two doesn't like something, it doesn't really make any sense to cook it again. It isn't as much fun trying things alone. I think I will place turnips in the "don't try again" category and move on to something else. Thanks!

Ted
Maybe grind them up fresh and add other ingredients to make a milder form of "horseradish" sauce?

Personally as I stated before, I love turnips. I prefer them raw in sauces, relishes, slaws, fruit smoothies and salads, but also like them cooked in soups.

So I am not sure what to say to someone who doesn't like them. I guess grind them up and feed them to the chickens.Feed them whole to the pigs? Or put them in the compost pile? Donate them to the food bank charity?

But ultimately if you don't like them raw or cooked in any recipe at all, and don't have chickens or pigs to feed, then I guess the solution is just grow something else you do like that also benefits the garden.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
greens , japanese , rutabaga , turnip