Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old June 26, 2009   #1
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Default Preserving Peaches...

Do any of you can/preserve Peaches?

What's your secrect recipe? Never did it before so I'd figure I'd give it a try.

Thanks,

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2009   #2
kterlep
Tomatovillian™

My peach tree will bear next year (I took off its babies this year) but you should follow a standard, tried and tested recipe (as opposed to someone's grandma's recipe) for safety's sake. I hear the ones in sugar are better. Do you have a copy of the Ball Blue Book?
kterlep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2009   #3
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

No, I don't but it's something I have looked into before but never got around to buying it. I'll look for it tonight.
I really want to try it this year.

Thanks,

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2009   #4
kterlep
Tomatovillian™

Peach jam is also delicious (especially if you add some cinnamon) and is very easy to process.

The Ball Blue Book is a very inexpensive resource. If you google "Ball Blue Book" and peaches you may find the directions that someone else has typed out (but again, for the $7 or whatever they cost, it's worth it to have the "bible" for safety's sake).
kterlep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2009   #5
aninocentangel
Tomatovillian™

The National Center for Food Preservation has all sorts of approved recipes for home canning, among other things. A Ball Blue Book is a good reference to have, I've also heard that Preserving the Harvest is another good book, haven't looked through it though.
Enjay
aninocentangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2009   #6
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

When I was a young child in the 1940s my mother & grandmother
preserved what they called "Pickled Peaches". Don't have a recipe and haven't tasted or seen them in more than 50 years but I remember they were spiced with cloves and preserved in a syrup. Anyone else out there remember such a thing?
Old June 27, 2009   #7
aninocentangel
Tomatovillian™

I've never had them but I picked up a half bushel of peaches today at the farmer's market and this sounds interesting:
Peach Pickles
8 lbs peeled peaches, small to medium sized
4 sticks cinnamon
2 Tablespoons whole cloves, crushed
1 Tablespoon ground ginger or 1 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger
6 cups sugar
1 quart vinegar
Wash and peel peaches. Treat to prevent darkening as outlined under Canning Peaches. Tie spices in a
cheesecloth bag. Combine sugar, vinegar, and spice bag in a large pan; bring to a boil and boil 5
minutes. Drain peaches in the boiling syrup until they can be pierced with a fork but not soft. Remove
from heat and allow peaches to sit in pickling liquid overnight in the refrigerator to plump. Bring mixture
to a boil. Remove spice bag. Pack hot peaches into hot jars. Ladle hot liquids over peaches leaving ¼
inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust lids and process in a boiling water canner for 20 minutes
for both pints and quarts.
Yield: Approximately 3 quarts.
aninocentangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2009   #8
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

That recipe sounds about right for what I remember of the taste from the spices involved. While it's not really preserving, there's nothing like the heavenly taste of freshly made peach ice cream in the summertime!