Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old July 2, 2011   #1
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Default Roma II bush beans turned into poles.

I am rather unhappy that the seeds I planted as Roma II bush beans are all growing very long tendrils, obviously looking for support. They are planted in a 12 foot row in a raised bed, and were intended to be a lower tier, fronting a row of tomato plants. I will find some kind of support for them, but it won't be terribly high, because I don't want them cutting off morning sun from the next row of tomatoes. I'm also disgusted because I won't have the earlier short bean harvest I was counting on.

I don't remember which catalog I purchased these from, I hope I still have the empty envelope in my discards box, because I will notify the seller if I can. What bugs me, is that now I don't even know if these are a bad cross, not worth growing, or if they are mislabeled pole beans! Anyone else run into this this year?

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2011   #2
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
What bugs me, is that now I don't even know if these are a bad cross, not worth growing, or if they are mislabeled pole beans! Anyone else run into this this year?
More times than I can remember, not just this year. Peas that are wrong, Tomatoes of the wrong sort. Beans.
Cucumbers instead of melons. Those came from a nursery, on complaining was told 'it's not our problem!!'.
Poor quality service seems to be the norm these days.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2011   #3
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Dee,

Sorry for your misfortune. I've already learned to NEVER front a row with bush beans, unless the back row is pole beans.

This year I have 4 bush varieties (out of about 70) that are running, or half-running.

I hope you decide to save some seeds, for a possible trade.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2011   #4
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Gary, I have trouble saving any bean seeds. Whatever season enders I leave on the vines to dry off, the deer usually manage to finish off when they go into their fall eating frenzy and go over and through the electric fences that they respect all summer. I did find a few Fortex that they had missed last year and used it to fill in the new package that was none too generous in seed count.

It will be interesting to see what these odd beans end up as. I do hope they are half runners, because all they will get is a three foot support. I noticed there were a few odd ones like them in with a different variety last year, but can't recall if I picked any or what the pods were like because they disappeared into the other greenery.

If these are worth eating, I will try to remember to save out a plant for seeds.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2011   #5
Elizabeth
Tomatovillian™

I have the exact opposite issue - I bought some heirloom seeds that were supposed to be "vigorous pole beans" and they are all of 12 inches high and show no inclination to climb. They are flowering and setting. Rather annoying since I set aside 2 bean towers for these midgets. They are *behind* a couple of tomato plants so are getting shaded. Drat! LOL

I bought a tomato variety at the nursery that was supposed to be a fairly solid roma shaped tomato - good for salsa, and now that it's fruiting it's giving me lopsided mutant tomatoes with deep pleats - they are too soft and juicy and definitely not good for salsa.

Elizabeth
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote