Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old January 11, 2007   #1
creister
Tomatovillian™

Default Shade device necessary?

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but do shading plants from the high summer heat (95 +) help prolong production? Would it help keep plants in better shape until fall? I do not have any experience using shade with my plants. I just let them grow in full, strong sunlight.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2007   #2
biermaster
Tomatovillian™

Default Shade

I shade my plants using shade cloth to cover a 12 X 12 space. I also shade it on the west side as that is the brightest sun in the afternoon here in Tucson. You are right that it helps keep the plants in better shape for the fall season. I also cut back my plants when the heat and humidity come up usually about 1 July if not earlier. I cut back anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 and usually have to water twice a day during this time. I also have to shade my contiainers using cardboard or brown paper to help keep the roots cool. I have not yet built raised beds, maybe some day.
Old January 11, 2007   #3
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Creister and Biermeister-I too have used some form of shade-I used the last two years agribon -I dont know how much shade it gives as a percentage, but it seemed to keep the plants shaded, cooler, more humid (which I need because I live in the desert) and kept the birds from the fruit.

http://www.agribon.com/INGLES/index_ing1.htm
Old January 12, 2007   #4
creister
Tomatovillian™

I have used something similar, just grow cloth, but I was told to remove it after day time temps stayed above 80 degrees. I did leave it on longer and didn't seem to really bother the plants. I like to use it for wind and insect protection.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote