Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating tomatillos.

Old September 13, 2007   #1
where_with_all
Tomatovillian™

Default Ground cherries-WOW

I am not sure this belongs here or in the tomatillos section but I just tasted my first ground cherry tomato (sometimes called a husk cherry). I bought a small half pint from the local farmers market because they looked so interesting. They look like little tomatillos.

I have to say WOW. They tasted like a sweet earthy cross between an orange and a tomato. I never had these things before. Has anyone else tasted these things. I am surprised they don't get mentioned. Easily sweeter than sungold. What a wonderful little gem.

WOW- Is it just this batch? Do other people here have the same experiance with this? Any love for ground cherries out there?
I have to grow these things next year. Any thoughts on where I can score seeds?
Old September 13, 2007   #2
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

I tried some at the MAGTAG event...I believe they were ground cherries...match your description. They were very tasty and really raised my interest.
Old September 13, 2007   #3
gwnorth
Tomatovillian™

I have grown them - they are easy to grow and seeds should be readily available at any seed dealer. I too have wondered why they are not more common - about the only place I had seen them before was as a garnish on fancy fruit and cheese plates at big banquets. They are interesting to grow, look cool, make good jam (if you don't mind lots of tiny seeds), will come back voluntarily in your garden (thanks to those tiny seeds...) Go for it! You may also find them(or a very close relative) under the name Cape Gooseberries .
Old September 13, 2007   #4
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Haven't grown them before, but agree, they are rather tasty ....

Found a bargain envelope for $1 at garden shop clear out I thought these were sprawlers, but back of envelope suggests 16" pots or 3 plants per grow bag
Attached Images
File Type: jpg capegooseberry002.jpg (137.7 KB, 118 views)
Old September 13, 2007   #5
where_with_all
Tomatovillian™

PNW D
Those don't look like the ones I tasted. Mine were yellowish green-not orange. interesting
Old September 13, 2007   #6
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

One of the common varieties, which is yellowish-green, is Cossack Pineapple. I grew it this spring.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2007   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I can't stand the taste of ground cherries, not that you asked for my input here.

Geocin is the organic compound that's made by soil dwelling Streptomyces bacteria and it's responsible for that earthy smell of soil.

I like sniffing soil but it's that same smell that I detect with ground cherries that turns me off completely, let alone the taste.

Sorry I can't be as enthusaistic as the rest of you and yes, I've grown them, started out with Aunt Molly's.

Just a wee comment here. Ground cherry doesn't refer to one species. All ground cherries, so to speak, are in the genus Physalis, same genus as those decorative Chinese Lanterns, but there are several different species of ground cherries. Some of them are ground huggers and others are taller upright plants.

So I think unless one knows exactly what they're tasting/growing, it's hard to make comparisons.
Old September 13, 2007   #8
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Cossack Pineapple grows on an upright plant.

Flavorwise, I don't think I will grow them next year.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2007   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I don't have to grow the things I have two kinds that grow wild where I live.
No I don't eat the things but I have and don't care for them, we used to pick them wild and eat them.
I don't care for tomatillos either.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2007   #10
dice
Tomatovillian™

These people sell seed for an "Andean Gigantic Groundcherry":

http://www.organicseed.com/seedindex/

(Although I see that they are on "harvest
vacation" at this time of the year, a la
Sandhill Preservation.)

They have yacon crowns, too, around $12US each.

Last edited by dice; September 13, 2007 at 04:08 PM. Reason: clarity
dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2007   #11
where_with_all
Tomatovillian™

Whoa, that threw me for a loop!!! We are playing musical chairs with the threads. First its there- then its here. Oh well. I was not sure this belonged in the tomatillos thread or in the genral discussion.

I am still not sure-- these things don't taste like regular tomatillos.

Anyway I went to the farmer that grew the original batch and asked him what variety it was. He was very kind enough to tell me. Its goldie from Jonny seed
here is the link
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/p...y=504&item=773

The description is very accurate- just like I would describe it. sweet and earthy

Just one more point-- Jonny seed does not list them under tomatillos. So maybe they should't be under this thread either.

Anyway --it is sure sweet.

Carolyn-- I love to have conversations with you on tomatoes- but if there is one thing I have figured out after two to thre years on this board-- My tastes are different than yours.

WWA
Old September 17, 2007   #12
where_with_all
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Just a wee comment here. Ground cherry doesn't refer to one species. All ground cherries, so to speak, are in the genus Physalis, same genus as those decorative Chinese Lanterns, but there are several different species of ground cherries. Some of them are ground huggers and others are taller upright plants.

So I think unless one knows exactly what they're tasting/growing, it's hard to make comparisons.
The ones I tasted were Physalis Pruinosa -Aunt molly or Goldie
Old September 18, 2007   #13
blatanna
Tomatovillian™

I am growing them for the first time this year but when mine ripen they are a dark purple. Don't know the name as they came from a friend.
Old March 19, 2008   #14
Stoloniferous
Tomatovillian™

When we first started doing yard work around our new house last summer, I spotted a strange patch of some unknown plant growing around the shed. It turned out to be ground cherries. Most of them rotted on the plant before I could eat them. Hopefully I'll get more this year!
Stoloniferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2008   #15
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

I'm a fan. Granted, I don't eat them like tomatoes, but use in salsas.

http://www.fototime.com/FAB88394ABFB69C/orig.jpg

My local Wal*Mart stuporcenter sells a giant size variety that I am growing this year. Excellent taste & what I have used in several salsa recipes.

The above recipe won 2nd place (over all) in a chile-head competition last fall.

jt
Love2Troll is offline   Reply With Quote