Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old March 15, 2006   #1
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Default I love my greenhouse!

Here in the chilly north, a greenhouse is the best way to grow tomatoes.

I start my seeds here...

Then they move here...

And finally, to the greenhouse...

or, the unlucky ones go here...

Click to enlarge (I hope!)
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2006   #2
Rena
Tomatovillian™

Fantastic! I also use a light stand. How are you cooling the greenhouse? Here in GA the swampcoolers are not working.... I love the Sunroom!!!!!
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2006   #3
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

Hi Sherry,
Thanks for sharing your pics. You have a very nice set-up...love the sunroom.
I was curious about the details of you greenhouse-
How big is it?
When do you start growing in the greenhouse? And when does your season finish?
How did you build your shelving units?
How many tomatoes do you fit in the greenhouse?

Jeff
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2006   #4
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

IMISSCOLO -- There is an automatic exhaust fan in the greenhouse, run by thermostat. I think you may be able to see the fan in the picture, and the intake vent (which opens automatically when the fan comes on) is by the front door. Also, I use a shade cloth.

jtcm05 -- In early spring, most of that furniture only serves as surfaces on which to set plants!

Jeff -- The greenhouse is 10x20. It's really a perfect size for me ... not that I wouldn't want a bigger one! I supply the greenhouse a bit of supplemental heat beginning the first week in April (generally, depending on the weather). The first things out there are my approx. 20 H.T. roses which have been wintered over indoors. Then as soon as the roses can move outdoors, which is probably in early May, the tomatoes move in. I can comfortably fit 24-26 plants in the greenhouse. You may notice there is framework in the greenhouse for cedar shelves. I sometimes install a few shelves early in the season, but remove them by the time the tomatoes go into the greenhouse. They make nice supports for the plants. Our first frost can be anytime after September 1, but usually the outdoor plants are finished by mid-September and the greenhouse is shut down by early October. If you mean the indoor shelving units, I saw a picture in a magazine a number of years ago and my husband built it for me. It's not an unattractive piece of furniture, and it's painted a neutral color, so I can actually keep it right in the livingroom. I've also just this year added a 6-shelf metal (wire) unit on wheels, purchased from Costco. I've left it in the heated garage (which we keep in the mid-50's) for growing on in a cooler environment ... not for tomatoes.

Thanks everybody!

Sherry
Old March 16, 2006   #5
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Sherry - wonderful pictures and great setup! And your 'unlucky' ones look quite happy too :wink:

Thank you for sharing,

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2006   #6
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Really great GH, Sherry!

A question. The paver bricks/stones [?] combined with gravel, do you have a problem with the gravel getting on top of the bricks and it causing a problem when stepped on or does the gravel stay in place pretty well?
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2006   #7
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

I see a LOT of empty space on that plant-stand! WHAT is UP with THAT?! :wink: (Pic must have been taken in the off season?)

Lovely Room!

Lisa
Old March 19, 2006   #8
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Earl -- Some gravel does get on top of the stepping stones, but I just keep an old broom out in the greenhouse and sweep it off every once in a while. It really isn't much of a bother. Actually, once I get all the pots in and settled, it's mostly OK. The worst disturbance is when I'm dragging pots around on the floor, moving the roses out and getting the tomatoes situated.

We got those decorative (large) stepping stones from a woman here locally who made them. They have different patterns. My husband selected one that says "Rest in Peace." At first I was quite horrified at the idea, but now that's where I usually put my chair when I want to sit in the greenhouse! (Actually she was selling that one at a big discount since it didn't come out of the mold perfectly.)

Lisa -- That was VERY early in the season. You should see it mid-April!

Thanks!

Sherry
Old June 14, 2007   #9
johno
Tomatovillian™

Hi Sherry AK,
I know this thread is pretty cold, but I wanted to wake it up because I have a relative near Anchorage who recently bought a second hand greenhouse. He disassembled it and plans to put it up on his property, probably attached to the house.

His questions to me concerned the weird daylength issues in AK. From reading this thread, I get the impression you don't use it year-round. Is that accurate? Would it be un-economical to heat and light the greenhouse for winter production?

Thanks in advance!
johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2007   #10
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Hey, johno! It would probably be impossible for me to keep this greenhouse heated adequately in the winter. The only heat source I have is a small electric heater. We checked into running the natural gas out there when we first put it up, but that was pretty pricey, since the greenhouse is at the opposite side of the property from the gas line (of course!). This g/h is 10' x 20' and I was advised by the manufacturer that the small heater would be inadequate for any serious heating.

A substantial light source would be required when we experience our reduced daylight.

So, you are correct that I don't use the greenhouse year-round. I start it up around the first week of April and fill it with the non-hardy roses I've wintered over in a cold room. That gives them a nice start, and a light frost won't hurt them if the heater fails to hold temperature. I don't actually put anything tender in it till early May. By that time, I'm fairly confident that the small heater will take care of things. If it seems quite chilly, I put a heater at each end.

I think you'll find that most hobby greenhouse owners here do not operate through the winter. In fact we had such a cool (cold actually) Spring, a number of the commercial greenhouses delayed opening this year.

It might be easier for your relative to heat his greenhouse, if it is attached to the house. I'd be glad to communicate with your relative if they have questions you think I might help with.

Sherry
Old June 15, 2007   #11
johno
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for clearing that up for me!

I'd take you up on contacting my relative, but I don't want to make any new enemies! He'd talk your ears off!
johno is offline   Reply With Quote