Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 10, 2015   #526
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
O boy, or a girl. I am drooling. Memory from my childhood of eating peaches ripe from the tree and juices running down my elbows.
I have that same memory! My grandparents have always had peach trees lining their property, and I spent summers with them, so there were always fresh peaches to be had!
TexasTycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2015   #527
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTycoon View Post
Thanks! I'm toying with the idea of trying to start a peach tree of my own from a pit in a pot to plant in the ground when we get a house.
You would be better off buying a small tree and doing it.
A pit will produce a good peach maybe 1 out of 100 times.

How much do you know about chill hours for fruit trees?
Just trying to help here that is all.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2015   #528
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
You would be better off buying a small tree and doing it.
A pit will produce a good peach maybe 1 out of 100 times.

How much do you know about chill hours for fruit trees?
Just trying to help here that is all.

Worth
Haha oh man, I don't know what I don't know!
Old July 10, 2015   #529
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Haha oh man, I don't know what I don't know!
Just trying to help, many people say I come across as arrogant I dont mean to.

Worth
Old July 10, 2015   #530
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Just trying to help, many people say I come across as arrogant I dont mean to.

Worth
Nah, it's good for me to think about these things. I tend to get overly ambitious, but I'll probably still try sticking a pit or two in some potting mix to see what happens. If nothing grows, oh well no big loss. I'll do some googling before I do anything so I can at least give it a good shot.

The dirt on my grandparents' property has been so amended and is so fertile it can grow just about anything. Lots of watermelon vines started from seed spitting contests and all sorts of things growing in and around the compost pile. The fact that she could grow a tree from a pit doesn't surprise me at all, but it reminds me of a feisty squirrel that used to hang out in the live oak by their poolhouse. Gram was yelling at him because he was eating one of her peaches and the squirrel threw the peach pit straight at her and hit her in the head!

Last edited by TexasTycoon; July 10, 2015 at 11:29 AM.
Old July 10, 2015   #531
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Nah, it's good for me to think about these things. I tend to get overly ambitious, but I'll probably still try sticking a pit or two in some potting mix to see what happens. If nothing grows, oh well no big loss. I'll do some googling before I do anything so I can at least give it a good shot.

The dirt on my grandparents property has been so amended and is so fertile it can grow just about anything. Lots of watermelon vines started from seed spitting contests and all sorts of things growing in and around the compost pile. The fact that she could grow a tree from a pit doesn't surprise me at all, but it reminds me of a feisty squirrel that used to hang out in the live oak by their poolhouse. Gram was yelling at him because he was eating one of her peaches and the squirrel threw the peach pit straight at her and hit her in the head!
Thanks I just wanted to clear that up, as I am here to help people with what small amount of information I have.

Fruit trees like peaches have chill hours that they require to bloom.
Peaches can rang from 300 hours to 1200 hours.
If it doesn't have this amount of cold hours the tree will not bloom and have fruit.
If the chill hours are too little like 300 the tree will bloom too early only to get bit back by frost or freeze.
If you are native to this area then you well know that we have crazy weather swings from one year to the next.
It is best to hedge you bets buy planting trees that have low and high chill hours like from 400 too 600 chill hour here.
About 90 percent of all peach trees dont require a pollinator like apples do.
In other words you can have just one peach tree and it will pollinate itself.

Worth
Old July 10, 2015   #532
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

My grandma used to graft sweet cherries, apricots, peaches, ...
I know that most likely pit from the grafted tree would not grow true.
For example if my grandma grafted peach on the almond rootstock than from the pit you will get almond tree and most likely not the sweet one. I purchased grafted apricot few years ago the graft died the next year (leafs were looking like apricot leafs do). The rootstock survived and grew vigorously into small yellow plum with different leafs (much smaller). I had to get rid of it.
Like Worth said, it is rare for the pit to be true variety. People have being grafting for sometimes now. Most of the trees are grafts.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2015   #533
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
For example if my grandma grafted peach on the almond rootstock than from the pit you will get almond tree and most likely not the sweet one. I purchased grafted apricot few years ago the graft died the next year (leafs were looking like apricot leafs do). The rootstock survived and grew vigorously into small yellow plum with different leafs (much smaller). I had to get rid of it.
Like Worth said, it is rare for the pit to be true variety. People have being grafting for sometimes now. Most of the trees are grafts.
A perfect example of this is the Stuart pecan.
This pecan was discovered growing wild in San Saba Texas.
All pecan seeds are crosses so you have no idea what the nuts will be when you plant it.
So all Stuart pecan trees you see started out as clones from that one tree called the Mother Stuart tree.

Worth
Old July 10, 2015   #534
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thanks I just wanted to clear that up, as I am here to help people with what small amount of information I have.

Fruit trees like peaches have chill hours that they require to bloom.
Peaches can rang from 300 hours to 1200 hours.
If it doesn't have this amount of cold hours the tree will not bloom and have fruit.
If the chill hours are too little like 300 the tree will bloom too early only to get bit back by frost or freeze.
If you are native to this area then you well know that we have crazy weather swings from one year to the next.
It is best to hedge you bets buy planting trees that have low and high chill hours like from 400 too 600 chill hour here.
About 90 percent of all peach trees dont require a pollinator like apples do.
In other words you can have just one peach tree and it will pollinate itself.

Worth
Quote:
Quote:
A perfect example of this is the Stuart pecan.
This pecan was discovered growing wild in San Saba Texas.
All pecan seeds are crosses so you have no idea what the nuts will be when you plant it.
So all Stuart pecan trees you see started out as clones from that one tree called the Mother Stuart tree.

Worth
I had no idea of any of this! I'm still so new to gardening, I can't wait till I just know things like this off the top of my head. I found this method for germinating peach pits: http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edib...each-seeds.htm Does it sound like it'd be even worth a shot (the refrigerator method mentioned) just to see what happens or should I just not even bother? I'm not picky about what grows, I'm still just so fascinated by the growing process that anything that sprouts up would be a success for me.
Old July 10, 2015   #535
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I had no idea of any of this! I'm still so new to gardening, I can't wait till I just know things like this off the top of my head. I found this method for germinating peach pits: http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edib...each-seeds.htm Does it sound like it'd be even worth a shot (the refrigerator method mentioned) just to see what happens or should I just not even bother? I'm not picky about what grows, I'm still just so fascinated by the growing process that anything that sprouts up would be a success for me.
You are young still.
Any time you try to do something you learn something.
Buy sprouting the seed you will learn how to grow in a container.
This is knowledge you will carry with you for the rest of your life.
The sooner you start the better off you will be.
When I was your age I had something like 1000 cacti growing.

Worth'
Old July 10, 2015   #536
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Sour cherries usually grown from pit, as far as I know. I kept it in refrigerator for few weeks and planted them in small pots. Nothing happened. I emptied containers right by the side of my house. Spring of the next year came and what a surprise, all 3 pits sprouted. I forgot about them completely. Just recognized the leafs and remembered what it was. Out of 3 only one surviver and is growing, no fruit yet.
Kelly, it takes very long time to grow from pit.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2015   #537
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Fried green Tomato Parmesan with fresh candied summer fig and lemon lime syrup.
Who says southern food can't be foo foo.

Worth
IMG_20150710_12749.jpg
Old July 10, 2015   #538
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Sour cherries usually grown from pit, as far as I know. I kept it in refrigerator for few weeks and planted them in small pots. Nothing happened. I emptied containers right by the side of my house. Spring of the next year came and what a surprise, all 3 pits sprouted. I forgot about them completely. Just recognized the leafs and remembered what it was. Out of 3 only one surviver and is growing, no fruit yet.
Kelly, it takes very long time to grow from pit.
Oh I figure it'll take a while, but since I don't have any ground of my own to put it in just yet I figure now is as good a time as any to get something started!

Worth that looks very foo foo but very tasty! I LOVE figs.
Old July 10, 2015   #539
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Since we are on a frying spree I thought of something I have never heard of.
I got the idea from the fried dill pickle.
Here it is tbe fried picked okra.
I have no idea what it will be like.

Okay now I do, its a hit.
Worth
IMG_20150710_3456.jpg

Last edited by Worth1; July 10, 2015 at 04:43 PM.
Old July 10, 2015   #540
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

I got mah peaches!

They're not ripe but some are close! Gonna dig out the ice cream attachment for my KitchenAid and stick it in the freezer this weekend. I've got big plans for these little guys!!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk