Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old August 8, 2015   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Squash Seeds ?

I'm doing a fertility test on seeds I saved from Gialla Nostrale. My seed starting tray has 12 cells, so I used 6 of them for the test.
This left half the cells empty, and we can't have that

So I did some research on how many years squash can remain viable, and as usual the Internet provided conflicting info. I read at one site that tomato seeds are only viable for three years tell that to the ones I'm growing from 2003.

I'm thinking that squash seeds saved in a dry place in your home should be viable for at least 4 years? I have some in an unopened pack from 2009 that I got from Worth. They are Zapallo hybrid. I just planted 6 of them. I have them inside under a florescent light. The temperature is around 74F.

I have two questions:

Do any of you know how long squash seeds generally remain viable?

What is the best germination ground temperatures for Summer squash?
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2015   #2
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

I don't know the answer to your question but I would like to know where you purchased your Gialla Nostrale seeds. They seem to be rare!
Sue
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2015   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

If I am not mistaken I sprouted some this year that were maybe 6 years old.'
now the plants died but it wasn't the seeds fault it was slugs.
Can you do me a favor and try to sprout some of the okra seeds they are very old.
Just keep them moist in the house and see if they sprout.
You have a ton of them.
Worth
'
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2015   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Akgardengirl, I got them from a friend here at Tomatoville. He sent me 3 seeds and all three grew and produced 3 squash through our bad weather. I have seeds drying now. Yes, they are rare and very hard to find. I'll do my best to change that. If you would like, I can mail you some when they are finished drying.

Worth, I will try several different okra varieties. I will get them started in the morning. I can start as many things as you would like.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2015   #5
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Robert. I am having a very good squash year myself. Anchorage has had 3 good summers in a row. Matter of fact, I have never paid too much attention to all the tomato diseases everyone has in the lower 48 but I seem to have some myself this year due to the hotter summers. Oh well, I 'll have to take the good with the bad.
Sue
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2015   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Akgardengirl, I got them from a friend here at Tomatoville. He sent me 3 seeds and all three grew and produced 3 squash through our bad weather. I have seeds drying now. Yes, they are rare and very hard to find. I'll do my best to change that. If you would like, I can mail you some when they are finished drying.

Worth, I will try several different okra varieties. I will get them started in the morning. I can start as many things as you would like.
It is just to see if they sprout not to grow out.

worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote