Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old August 23, 2022   #31
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Growing season is about done and I have cut down most of my tomato plants. I still have about 50 large tomatoes hanging on the plants to ripen. I also have one white cherry tomato plant that refuses to stop producing. On the whole, it was a very good year. Despite wind and weather damage, I actually ended up with more tomatoes than I had the last several years.
Happy to hear that you had a good season. But, what makes your season done already? Living in Florida, my season is done when the nights get too warm and I can't stand going outside to take care of my plants. Also when it gets hot, I see more of the black leaf footed bugs around the plants.

In colder climates, season is usually done because weather gets too cold or frost.

My season is starting soon. I've been doing some test germination of old seeds already using the paper towel method.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2022   #32
Balr14
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Happy to hear that you had a good season. But, what makes your season done already? Living in Florida, my season is done when the nights get too warm and I can't stand going outside to take care of my plants. Also when it gets hot, I see more of the black leaf footed bugs around the plants.

In colder climates, season is usually done because weather gets too cold or frost.

My season is starting soon. I've been doing some test germination of old seeds already using the paper towel method.
My season seems to end when the weather varies too much from day to night. It's 80s during the day and cold (50s) and damp at night. My plants just seem to die off. It's peppers, too. I tried switching to a 0/10/10 fertilizer this year, to promote flower/fruit growth. It didn't seem to make any difference. I don't need any more tomatoes. I already have used up all available freezer space and still have about 50 large tomatoes ripening.

Next year, I want to try several Karen Oliver varieties.

Last edited by Balr14; August 26, 2022 at 11:53 PM.
Balr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2023   #33
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful @BarbFL
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote