Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 13, 2019   #3046
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I have been visiting Chicago the past few days, drove up through an ice storm, wrecks everywhere. It is some authentic Chicago weather, with sub zero wind chills.

I used the Waze app when ttavelling. It will tell you data reported by other users, for wrecks and other travel delays. The app routed me around several wrecks by going from the interstate to the nearby state highway. It saved a lot of time....technology can be cool stuff sometimes.

Stay safe Cole, on the road is a bad place to be. I expect to see numerous wrecks here tomorrow morning. November is the most treacherous time because the road crews are not out on a daily basis to deal with the first ice. Even when we know it's coming, they just don't go out and sand until it's confirmed dangerous. I know it's worse in places where there is no such winter road maintenance in place. We get safer once the crews are up and running here. But there will be wrecks before they get into gear.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2019   #3047
imp
Tomatovillian™

Good that you have good road crews, Bower. Down here, a sprinkle of rain and people drive even worse HUA ( head up a__) and wrecks happen.
Old November 13, 2019   #3048
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjohnson View Post
I didn't pick the daikon radishes and carrots now they're frozen in the ground.
It is supposed to warm up this week and be above freezing. Hopefully you can pull them then.
I ordered 100 daffodils this summer. They arrived Oct. 23. We had snow on the 31st and it's been coming ever since. Needless to say the bulbs have a poor chance of making it into the ground.
Old November 14, 2019   #3049
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

MissS, by what date do you need to have them in the ground? I hope you post pictures on Tomatoville this spring when those 100 bulbs bloom. In my area I have to refrigerate tulip and daffodil bulbs for six to eight weeks before I plant them out in the ground. My bulbs are in the refrigerator as we speak. Daffodil bulbs are planted around Thanksgiving Day and tulip bulbs are planted around New Year's Day. They are treated as annuals here.
Old November 14, 2019   #3050
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Latest El Niño/La Niña Forecast

Got the latest monthly ENSO Discussion from NOAA's Climate Prediction Center. For what it's worth:

" The chances for El Niño are predicted to be near 25% during the winter and spring. In summary, ENSO-neutral is favored during the Northern Hemisphere winter 2019-20 (~70% chance), continuing through spring 2020 (60 to 65% chance; click CPC/IRI consensus forecast for the chance of each outcome for each 3-month period)."

The full discussion:
https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/produc...ensodisc.shtml
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2019   #3051
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Speaking of weather-related things, at a meeting yesterday someone at my table remarked about the unusually large amount of acorns this year and someone alse had noticed that too. It confirmed to me that my oaks aren't the ones. The squirrels around here are in acorn heaven, running around with cheeks bulging to the breaking point!

Are any of you noticing that as well? I can't remember having so many acorns on the ground. I've said that before but this year sure beats that last time.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2019   #3052
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Miss S, you can plant them in pots & put them somewhere cold, like a garage. Or do like Spooky says & refrigerate then plant out in spring. Not an expert here; but I know how I felt when I had bought bulbs that never got planted.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2019   #3053
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Bulbs in refrig

The three small bags in the front are tulips, the large bag in the back is daffodils. If you put your bulbs in the refrigerator, you need to keep them away from apples. The apples give off a gas that is not beneficial to the bulbs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1114191038.jpg (67.8 KB, 62 views)
Old November 15, 2019   #3054
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Goingt6 to get down to around 35F tonight.
Came home, the thermostat was on 60 as usual.
I turned it up to 70 F and then turned it back down to 45 F after it reached 70 F.
Put another blanket on the bed which will make three and will sleep like a baby.
Mostly because I will have chili and spagette for supper which will help keep me warm.
Very interested as to how cold it will be in the house with the heater turned down that low.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2019   #3055
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

At 5 pm today, we were all at my mom's place. DH checked his weather app & said it was 37 F. My mother said her thermometer was reading 50 F. Then DH's app updated to 42 F. So the temperature here is apparently open to debate.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2019   #3056
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

well, it got close to freezing but didn't quite dip to that. my greenhouse heating bill is going to be atrocious.