Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old April 24, 2013   #1
indigosand
Tomatovillian™

Default Jalepenos are yellowed, all other varieties fine?

Hi everyone! I planted many varieties of peppers this year, sweet roasting, bell, and lots of jalepenos of course to make salsa! I started all my seedlings in the same potting mix, same type of pot, same time and lighting. When I set them out they were all the same. I planted them in the same area with the same soil conditions.

Now all the other varieties are growing, green and looking good but my jalepenos have yellowed to a sickly key lime color. All of those plants, and ONLY them. Thoughts? I find it difficult to imagine there's a nitrogen problem due to the others being normal and I dumped my chicken's bedding on this plot all winter long and let it mature. What else would cause this? I also watered with fish emulsion a couple weeks ago.
indigosand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2013   #2
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Got any pictures?
Are all the leaves turning yellow?
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2013   #3
indigosand
Tomatovillian™

I will get some tomorrow, they actually look a tiny bit better this afternoon (or it's hopeful optimism) LOL It's the whole plant. Stems, all new and old sets of leaves.

ETA: Well I don't know, they look like they are growing out of it. Maybe they are just now getting into the garden soil from their little seed starting peat. Dunno, but I'm glad they don't look like they're dying anymore.

Last edited by indigosand; April 26, 2013 at 07:53 PM.
indigosand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2013   #4
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have found that every year some pepper varieties will have more problems than others but I can never tell in advance which ones it will be. Last year my Jalapenos did poorly all year while most of the other varieties did very well. This year when I started all of my pepper seeds I had an amazing germination and growth rate on Pappadews which are usually one of the slowest growing and poorer germinating peppers and from the same seed I have been using for a couple of years. They are still the most vigorous pepper plants so far in my garden. I try to plant several varieties of each type of pepper to minimize the danger of one variety doing poorly. Peppers are very much like tomatoes in that regard. If you think you can count on a variety every year it will eventually let you know you can't.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2013   #5
COMPOSTER
Tomatovillian™

What type of material was the bedding made out of? Any difference in the amount of sun light where the Jalepenos are located?

Glenn
COMPOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013   #6
indigosand
Tomatovillian™

The chicken's bedding I've been throwing down has been straw mixed with poop obviously. I also had leaves, pine needles (my soil is naturally very alkaline). Everything else is thriving. I found a long-forgotten box of miracle gro powder in the cupboard next to my chicken supples. Mixed up a watering can's worth and fed them right after I posted and then again today and they look nearly normal now. Def. needed some nitrogen. The only thing I can guess happened is that with these being my very smallest seedlings (they didn't have true leaves when I planted them) perhaps they hadn't gotten their roots past the starter peat pot into the good soil and the food yet. Lesson learned, feed the week after planting no matter what.
Old May 3, 2013   #7
COMPOSTER
Tomatovillian™

I think most folks use straw for the bedding but I wanted to see if perhaps you were using sawdust which would tie up a lot of N. Sounds like you solved your problem. I hope you pickle some of those Jalepenos. Mmm, mmm good!
COMPOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote