Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 13, 2009   #1
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Default 1/2 mule possible?

My main production crop is Jet Stars. This year I have two plants that quite different - there are several toms at the base - about 3-4 fruits each. The plant is now about 3 1/2 ft, extremely healthy dark green leaves and absolutely no flowers, very brushy. All were planted the same, no addition fert. etc. The others are doing their jet star thing, about 5-6' with good fruit set, loads of flowers, yet these two stuck? piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2009   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I certainly have had mule plants, from both hybrids and OP's, but at no time did they ever produce blossoms so I'm not sure what might be going on with those two plants since you say both did produce blossoms and set fruit.

And your other Jet Stars I assume are merrily producing blossoms and setting fruit normally.
Old July 14, 2009   #3
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

My experience with "bull" tomato plants is different that what you're describing. In my cases they were huge plants, bigger that any other surrounding plant and they had zero fruit. I seem to recall seeing one that actually got a few blossoms, but it never set fruit.

BTW, historically the "bull" tomato plant had a lot to do with the genome mapping of the tomato plant. A colleague suggested that Dr. Charles Rick should investigate what was wrong with "bull" tomato plants. Apparently this was an issue at the time because "bull" tomatoes not only didn't produce fruit, but they got so big they affected growth and production of the surrounding plants. In studying the "bull" tomato Rick was able to identify many of the mutant or variable genes on each of the tomato's 12 chromosomes. This led to his effort to map the tomato's entire collection of genes.

Randy

p.s. "Mule" and "bull" are terms that can be used interchangeably.
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2009   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Randy, I could spy the mules of hybrids being grown by my commercial friends from quite a distance b'c, as you say, they're much larger plants and they'd stick out like a sore thumb and be easily Ided.

The one mule OP I remember quite well was a variety called Limmony at the time and SSE had just gotten it from their contact in Moscow, and I had been sent quite a few from their contct Marie Danilenko to trial for SSE.

I had two plants out there of Limmony from the same seed pack, and one did what it was supposed to do and the other plant grew wonderfully and had no blossoms and obviously no fruit.