Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old April 19, 2018   #1
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Default Giant Marconi... Yea or Nay?

I'm gonna be planting some Cubanelle in a few weeks a friend has offered me some Giant Marconi never heard of them yeah I'm new to pepper varieties. Decent pepper? Opinions?
Jetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2018   #2
ako1974
Tomatovillian™

Great pepper. I have to admit, I didn't get huge production the few times I planted them, but they are nice, large stuffers.
Old April 19, 2018   #3
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Yes! I grow them every year. Big size with thick walls. The Giant Marconi F1 is not the same as Red Marconi.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2018   #4
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Anything special I should know in planting them or in plant care when their growing that differs from sweet bell peppers?
Old April 19, 2018   #5
mikemansker
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetstar View Post
Anything special I should know in planting them or in plant care when their growing that differs from sweet bell peppers?
Same care as other sweet peppers.
mikemansker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2018   #6
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetstar View Post
I'm gonna be planting some Cubanelle in a few weeks a friend has offered me some Giant Marconi never heard of them yeah I'm new to pepper varieties. Decent pepper? Opinions?
Planting in a few weeks might be a bit too early for NE WI. Check your weather Zone-wise and temp wise on the National Weather Service records for your location.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2018   #7
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

I never plant any peppers until the last week of May typically 1st week of June they don't like cold... At All!
Old April 30, 2018   #8
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I enjoyed Giant Marconi but by the middle of the season here the plants were huge. I'm talking really huge. I had to set up supports for them which was a bit of trouble otherwise the long stems would get over weighted with the peppers and bend down and frequently break. They frequently got too tall to even pick many of the peppers and they are super productive down here in our long hot summers. I found they needed far less care than bell peppers and were far more resistant to the common pepper diseases; but they did require a bit more fertilizer to maintain that great production. I personally prefer a good bell pepper but that is just me. I can't think of another pepper that will provide you with more pounds of pepper than Giant Marconi.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2018   #9
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I enjoyed Giant Marconi but by the middle of the season here the plants were huge. I'm talking really huge. I had to set up supports for them which was a bit of trouble otherwise the long stems would get over weighted with the peppers and bend down and frequently break. They frequently got too tall to even pick many of the peppers and they are super productive down here in our long hot summers. I found they needed far less care than bell peppers and were far more resistant to the common pepper diseases; but they did require a bit more fertilizer to maintain that great production. I personally prefer a good bell pepper but that is just me. I can't think of another pepper that will provide you with more pounds of pepper than Giant Marconi.

Bill
I had the same results with Corno Di Toro Giallo last season, they literally exploded by October
This is from one plant, the peppers are sitting on a 2x10

SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2018   #10
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Thanks b54red, I'll give them a try this year.
Old May 1, 2018   #11
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

plants/peppers were puny when I grew them 2 years ago.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2018   #12
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

They are doing great for me, fruit is very large, perfect shaped, sweet and thick walled. I am enjoying them.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote