Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 16, 2006   #1
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Default Have I got something different - or not?

I was wondering if I had an unusual variety of tomato seed- or not, I first purchased them from Terre de Semences about nine or ten years ago, and decided to successfully germinate some to replenish my stock- which I did.

They are called ( Victory ) from siberia ,but on checking with victory seeds tomato lists they are definatly not the same Victory tomatoes that they offer, and come from a totaly different place to theirs.

My seeds come from and originated in the Island of Sakhaline - presumably in siberia or russia, and take 72 days, red orange fruit of 180 to 240 g each. and have a slight citrusy lemon flavour to them,

I remember when I last ate them several years ago how nice they were at the time so I thought I would grow a few again to see.

At the sime time I also successfully germinated some of my own saved seeds for the tomato (Simpsons Summer Palace ) also nine or ten years old, to replenish my seed stocks with.

If anyone happens to want any of the above saved seed to try ( at the end of this season ) I shall be only be too pleased to let them have some.

But in the main- I would like to know if anyone knows if my Victory seed realy is a different type to Victory seeds one. (just edited it to read (victory tomatoes from Siberia ).
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2006   #2
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Michael, Siberia is part of Russia and Sakhalin is a Russian island in very Far East of Russia near Japan.

Siberia was originally bred for cold areas and have rather small fruits. Nothing close to 200 g! :wink: No citrusy flavour at all!

As I don't know and never had found any information in it's decribtion about the originator for this variety I have doubts about its Siberian origin just like with many other so-called Siberian tomatoes which I found in foreign seed catalogs. It's just that they received that seeds from Irkutsk, for example, which is located in Siberia, but the real origin of most of Russian tomatoes is non-Siberian (Moscow, St.Peterburg, Volga and Southern regions). I count only about 5% of Russian tomatoes which came originally from Siberia, but most of them are from Altai, West Siberian area where the climate is not so cruel!

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2006   #3
timcunningham
Tomatovillian™

The tomato you describe sounds very similar to one I grow in the winter here in South Georgia (USA, Not Europe)

I got them from Tradewinds http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/veget...ria_tomato.htm specifically so I can have fresh tomatoes in the winter. Does the photo and description of in the link match what you have?
Old March 16, 2006   #4
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Michael,

I have read good things about Simpsons Summer Palace but have yet to get a response to my question regarding days to maturity - is this an early one? Any other comments on this variety also welcome.
Old March 16, 2006   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

As far as I know the variety Siberia was first offered by the home business of a person in western Canada who named his company Siberian Seeds.

Some folks who list Siberia in the SSE Yearbooks have cited that source, as far back as 1984 for the source of Siberia. But that company was in existance for only a short period of time, as most home businesses are, and has long been absent from the scene.

Where he got the seeds from I don't know and we'll never know. Apparently he was offering several varieties he IDed as coming from Siberia.

The variety Siberia is not the same as the variety Siberian.
Old March 17, 2006   #6
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

I think most of you missunderstood the variety name in my last post.
The variety name was ( Victory ) tomatoes and was classed as siberian, and originated from the Island of Sakhaline,

My interest was - is this a different variety from the ( Victory ) tomato sold by Victory seeds USA, as it appears totaly different to me.

Simpsons summer palace:- is a fine tomato, and as far as I can remember is just a normal mid season variety red tomato , taking an average number of days to bear fruit, is quite heavy bearing with salad size tomatoes and fine flavour.
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2006   #7
jerseyjohn61
Tomatovillian™

Michael,

I just want to say hello and that I am sorry
if I "misdirected" your posting the other day.

Thanks again for your generous offings. They
will find their way into my garden and many others.
....JJ61 :wink:
jerseyjohn61 is offline   Reply With Quote