Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old March 14, 2013   #16
Corinasim
Tomatovillian™

I do not know what you have there, but kefir is a creamy drink not a separated one, that has also a mother culture inside in the form of a few teaspoonful of conglomeratic elastic "rice" that is the base and that, will serve to start a new batch.
Corinasim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2013   #17
Tania
Tomatovillian™

That does not sounds right for making kefir. You should have what is called 'kefir grains' - they look like a cauliflower florets. The grains are put into a fresh milk and fermentation should take care of the rest.

This is how kefir grains look like: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...GImTrgGg8ID4DQ

EDITED TO ADD: I agree with Corinasim- my apologies I did not see that post when I posted mine.

Tatiana's TOMATObase

Last edited by Tania; March 14, 2013 at 02:34 PM.
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2013   #18
Tania
Tomatovillian™

I bought my kefir grains from Cultures for Health. They give very good instructions on how to make the true kefir -

http://www.culturesforhealth.com/milk-kefir-grains.html

My kefir grains -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00001-004.jpg (216.5 KB, 14 views)

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old March 14, 2013   #19
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

I am using skim milk, since I do not want the extra fat from whole milk. The end product is just fine in taste, a bit like sour milk but not obnoxious. I can stop the fermentation process before precipitation and the product is thick but drinkable. Complete fermentation is indicated by the precipitation. Process 30 hours, at 79F. I ingest the complete material, by mixing or drinking the liquid and/or eating the solid material.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2013   #20
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Durgan, all I can say is that your process is not a correct process for making true milk kefir. I am sorry... There should not be any whey separation. Do you have the kefir grains?

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old March 14, 2013   #21
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
Durgan, all I can say is that your process is not a correct process for making true milk kefir. I am sorry... There should not be any whey separation. Do you have the kefir grains?

http://www.playingwithfireandwater.c.../09/kefir.html

With so many variables, I no longer bother with weights and temperature, I just set it out on the counter and let it do its thing. Sometimes I catch it when it turns creamy and just begins to acquire a tang. Sometimes I let it ripen until it curdles and precipitates whey, at which point the curds can be drained to form a soft, tangy cheese. My favorite thing is to cover it tightly while it ferments to trap the CO2 released by the yeast until it gets fizzy. Milk champagne is a wonderous thing!
__________________________________________________ _________________

Apparently the spores are added to milk and you take what youfget.
Old March 14, 2013   #22
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Durgan,

I am not talking about the temperature and duration variables - but do you have the kefir grains?? Because the true Tibetan kefir can only be made from the grains.

Cheers,
Tatiana

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old March 14, 2013   #23
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Actually there can be a whey separation if left to ferment long enough. And if you don't drink it all right away it will separate in the fridge.

Durgan,

If you think you want to use more you shouldn't be eating the grains from batch to batch. Let them grow in amount. You will either get your batch faster or you will be able to use more milk for a larger batch. Either works.

Sometimes I will let my batch sit on the counter for 1/2 the expected time, then put it in the fridge. It will slow down the coagulation, but it seems to make it thicker. I often do it that way when I get behind on drinking it so don't need a batch right away. Occasionally I will do the whole batch in the fridge when I'm way behind. It will take about a week +- for a batch that way.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2013   #24
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

From the several comments there certainly seems some disparity in opinions as to what my bacteria is producing. My bacteria has the appearance of the pictures that have been distributed on the internet and on this thread. I will take some pictures tomorrow of one of the two batches brewing now.

This is my first attempt at producing this kefir, so until I encounter something better I will keep making this material with the flora that I now have. I suspect there is more than one method of producing. Certainly the "expert" methods differ considerably. I also suspect no particular bacteria is exactly like any other. How would one know, since there is no absolute testing method? Subjective opinion only!
Old March 14, 2013   #25
Tania
Tomatovillian™

There are so many different bacteria that will ferment milk.

But the true Tibetan kefir is made by the special bacterial colonies that form 'kefir grains'. The kefir grains need to be removed from kefir and used to made a fresh kefir batch. That's all I can say on the topic.

There are many other bacterias, both mesophilic and thermophilic, that ferment milk - this is how different yogurts are made. For these, it is enough to take a few spoonfuls of the yogurt and mix it with fresh milk for the next batch.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old March 15, 2013   #26
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I thought Kefir came from the Russian Caucasus Mountains region, not from Tibet? At least that's what my friend Yulya taught me. And she is actually from that region of Russia.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2013   #27
Corinasim
Tomatovillian™

Tania is right, the kefir bacteria is in form of cauliflower and it multiplies in time, it has to be divided from time to time. In fact, the bacteria is not the grains , but it lives inside those grains, the cauliflower. The bacteria lives in milk casein, that is the cauliflower, milk casein separated by the bacteria in the process of making kefir.
The best moment to consume kefir is when it is thick as yougurt but not separated, when it has not too much acid in it. When separated, it is too acidic ande it can cause problems with the stomach. All dairy products that are fermented by a bacte ria can be left to ferment too long and separate-yougurt, sourmilk, etc, but all a bestr consumed when creamy.
The kefir that has. No cassein grains is not the proper one, as it is specific to this bacteria to produce casein in the process of fermentation.
Corinasim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2013   #28
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Scott, here is a good article about the kefir grains:
http://russian.lingualift.com/blog/k...istory-recipe/
http://www.kefir.org/kefir_manual.htm

it is a wonderful drink, and since I started it, my health got so much better in many areas.

Tatiana's TOMATObase

Last edited by Tania; March 15, 2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old March 16, 2013   #29
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I found that people new to Kefir tend to think of it as sour and like it best made into a smoothie with fruit and possibly even a bit of sweetener. A banana is rather neutral flavored and adds thickness if the kefir is a bit on the thin side.

But for me after about 2 weeks, I cut down or even out the extra stuff and will often drink it just as it is. After a while I seem to actually crave it and I can easily drink more than a quart in a day.

Drinking Kefir also tends to satisfy my need to have a huge dish of ice cream every day as my body is getting enough "milk" from the Kefir. And by "milk" I mean the nutrients like calcium and the other good stuff milk has.

My step father called Kefir "buttermilk" as in like the REAL buttermilk his family would get direct from the factory when he was a kid. He was also type 2 diabetic and Kefir was actually good for helping him control his sugar.

Just some of my ideas on Kefir,
Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2013   #30
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?ZYXAF 16 March 2013 Kefir Fermentation 20 hours 79F. When mixed has a most pleasant taste and a smooth thick texture. “Seeds” have not separated, precipitated out, from the mixture. After mixing a portion is used to make a succeeding batch.

How does this in appearance appear to yours?