Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old October 11, 2015   #91
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

I've been searching for a reliable commercial source for Rosa de Huesca (or Barbastro) seeds, without any luck. Does anybody here know one? I'm a second year grower, so I haven't got any interesting seeds to trade, and I live in Norway. I'm therefore looking for a commercial source only.

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2015   #92
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilex View Post
No need to buy, I can trade.
Ilex,
thank you. Now I'm putting together an overview of the seeds which I have. I'll send you the offer seeds of Spanish tomato varieties. Or do you want to send other varieties too?
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2015   #93
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjamesNorway View Post
I've been searching for a reliable commercial source for Rosa de Huesca (or Barbastro) seeds, without any luck. Does anybody here know one? I'm a second year grower, so I haven't got any interesting seeds to trade, and I live in Norway. I'm therefore looking for a commercial source only.

Steve
Steve,
I have not my own seeds Rosa de Huesca. I have only the last ten seeds from Baikal from 2013. I would like to again cultivate tomato Rosa de Huesca next year. If you can not get nowhere else, I can send you only four seeds. I hope they are germinating well, I'd hate to has lost this variety.
Vladimír
Old October 11, 2015   #94
ilex
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjamesNorway View Post

Steve
I have two strains, plus "Rosa del Somontano" which is IMHO better and more productive. "Rosa de Barbastro" is good but fairly low production. Barbastro in in the Somontano region in Huesca, Aragon, Spain.

Can trade for other Spanish tomatoes, maybe something else interesting for one of my breeding projects, or I can trade at SSE domestic conditions (yes, even if you are not a SSE member or not in my country).
ilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2015   #95
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
Steve,
I have not my own seeds Rosa de Huesca. I have only the last ten seeds from Baikal from 2013. I would like to again cultivate tomato Rosa de Huesca next year. If you can not get nowhere else, I can send you only four seeds. I hope they are germinating well, I'd hate to has lost this variety.
Vladimír
Thank you for your very generous offer, Vladimir! But I'll keep looking. Keep your seeds, grow more of them, and if I don't find another source, I'll ask you after next season. (It will be much safer that way.)

Steve
Old October 11, 2015   #96
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I have two strains, plus "Rosa del Somontano" which is IMHO better and more productive. "Rosa de Barbastro" is good but fairly low production. Barbastro in in the Somontano region in Huesca, Aragon, Spain.

Can trade for other Spanish tomatoes, maybe something else interesting for one of my breeding projects, or I can trade at SSE domestic conditions (yes, even if you are not a SSE member or not in my country).
Hi Ilex. Rosa del Somontano sounds interesting, and I'm sure you have good knowledge about Spanish varieties. As I wrote, I probably have few seeds that would be interesting to you in a trade, and none of them are Spanish.

I'm also not sure what "SSE domestic conditions" means, having never been a member?

But please feel free to PM me, if you think we can trade.

Steve
Old October 19, 2015   #97
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

One more big and very tasty Spanish beefsteak:
Roteňo Andalucia
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0045.JPG (55.7 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0005.JPG (443.8 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0086.JPG (29.0 KB, 280 views)
Old March 27, 2016   #98
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

This year I'll grow 24 varieties of tomatoes, which have proved to me the most. Another dozen varieties will be for me Spanish mystery.
Vladimír
Fresa
Gallego
Rosa de Huesca
Salobre
Negrillo Almaguera
Rastrero
Macizo Montserrat
Negro Sierra del Segura
Rojo Sierra del Segura
Rosa de Teruel
Rosa Sierra Aracena
Roteňo Andalucia
Negro Almeria
Rojo Aragon
Rosa Aragon
Zamorano
Mozkorra Aretxabaleta
Gigante Castilla
Kumato
Ramallet Sant Llorenc des Cardassar
Ramallet Santanyi
Ramallet Pequeňo
Ramallet Algaida Piel Gruesa
Ramallet Mugró

New variety:
La Rochapes
Extremeňo
Negrito Santiago
Grande Levante
Ramallet Mallorca Multiflora
Moruno de Pastrana
Rosado de Pastrana
Huevo de Toro
Robledillo de la Jara
Ramallet Bombeta Multiflora
Tomate de Lugar Pombriego elo Bierzo
Grande Cabezon de la Sal
Old March 27, 2016   #99
swordy
Tomatovillian™

Great! Good luck with all the new varieties!
I grow this year some of the varieties you listed. So far they go so good!
swordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2016   #100
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Nice list! May you have a great season!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2016   #101
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
This year I'll grow 24 varieties of tomatoes, which have proved to me the most. Another dozen varieties will be for me Spanish mystery.
Vladimír
Fresa
Gallego
Rosa de Huesca
Salobre
Negrillo Almaguera
Rastrero
Macizo Montserrat
Negro Sierra del Segura
Rojo Sierra del Segura
Rosa de Teruel
Rosa Sierra Aracena
Roteňo Andalucia
Negro Almeria
Rojo Aragon
Rosa Aragon
Zamorano
Mozkorra Aretxabaleta
Gigante Castilla
Kumato
Ramallet Sant Llorenc des Cardassar
Ramallet Santanyi
Ramallet Pequeňo
Ramallet Algaida Piel Gruesa
Ramallet Mugró

New variety:
La Rochapes
Extremeňo
Negrito Santiago
Grande Levante
Ramallet Mallorca Multiflora
Moruno de Pastrana
Rosado de Pastrana
Huevo de Toro
Robledillo de la Jara
Ramallet Bombeta Multiflora
Tomate de Lugar Pombriego elo Bierzo
Grande Cabezon de la Sal
I love it!!!! Meaning I've got about 11 on your first list,out for seed production this summer, and I think you use ramallet,instead of de Colgar and if so I'm wondering about that Bombeta one since I have several de colgar multifloras from Ilex, and am thrilled with them

But a question about the Huevo de Toro.

I learned from both Ilex and Conchi that there are several huevos de Toro in Spain,but of different colors.It's a red one that made its way to France where it was renamed Couillels de Taureu,which was what got me so interested in Spanish varieties sinceI'm not the only one who loves CdT,

I know you get your seeds from Baikel,whereas I get mine from Ilex, and perhaps there are some differences in spellings between the two.

I'm in the middle of packing up seeds for my seed producers for this summer,which takes me back to the varieties that you sent me that you thought were some of THE best, but you only sent me 3 seeds of Salobre, and I could have distributed much more. As it is I sent those 3 seeds to Gerardo, and fingers crossed he'll be able to get some seed production.

When I put up my thread that said I need help,Gerardo was one who offered,and I ended up sending him many that Ilex had sent me, since he has a longer season in Mexico and he's doing seed production for those as well.

It's all good.

Carolyn
Old March 28, 2016   #102
loulac
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Conchita knows more about Huevos de Toro than I do.
Conchi has had severe personal problems for a long time and can’t be very active at the moment. In a recent mail she sent me I could see she fully agreed with Ilex, Huevos de toros has become a general denomination, just like beefsteak or oxheart. Bull fighting being popular in Spain several regions swear they grow the genuine huevos de toro.
She traced back the tomato shown on El Mundo (see post 56) to Coin (Malaga). But different varieties with different colors, shape and taste but with the same name are grown in the same area. By the way a close up of the sliced tomato shown in El Mundo is quite different from a slice of the Roland variety introduced in the United States.
Varieties from Granada, Malaga, Jaen are competing for the name. At least three varieties show important differences and Conchi thinks there may be more. The National Bank of Genes of Granada is trying to clean up their backyard but there is still work to do.
By the way, trying to stick to the origin of tomatoes, I call Roland’s tomato Cdt Roland and the unknown one brought from Spain I’m regularly growing but could not identify Dominico, in memory of the man who brought it in France. These names are of course strictly personal without any official touch on them.
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2016   #103
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulac View Post
Conchi has had severe personal problems for a long time and can’t be very active at the moment. In a recent mail she sent me I could see she fully agreed with Ilex, Huevos de toros has become a general denomination, just like beefsteak or oxheart. Bull fighting being popular in Spain several regions swear they grow the genuine huevos de toro.
She traced back the tomato shown on El Mundo (see post 56) to Coin (Malaga). But different varieties with different colors, shape and taste but with the same name are grown in the same area. By the way a close up of the sliced tomato shown in El Mundo is quite different from a slice of the Roland variety introduced in the United States.
Varieties from Granada, Malaga, Jaen are competing for the name. At least three varieties show important differences and Conchi thinks there may be more. The National Bank of Genes of Granada is trying to clean up their backyard but there is still work to do.
By the way, trying to stick to the origin of tomatoes, I call Roland’s tomato Cdt Roland and the unknown one brought from Spain I’m regularly growing but could not identify Dominico, in memory of the man who brought it in France. These names are of course strictly personal without any official touch on them.
As you know Conchi is a Tville member and last posted here on Feb 22, 2015 when she was apparently quite well, and now linking to that thread where you confirmed most of what she initially posted.

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=34188

Carolyn
Old April 3, 2016   #104
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

My seeds Huevo de Torro are from a Spanish lady from 2011. I do not know more yet. I really got from Baikal.
Vladimír
Old July 18, 2016   #105
swordy
Tomatovillian™

Maybe the best tasting tomato so far this season: Gallego

swordy is offline   Reply With Quote